Brake Fluid

secret.squirrel

Dec 1, 2010
Middle Earth (Wiltshire)
I'm after dot 5.1 brake fluid, I'm gonna need about 3 litres so I can do a full flush and fill when I fit my 312mm kit next week. Anyone recommend a good name and supplier? Tried some of the local motor factors without much success really!

Cheers,
Squirrel.

Aug 1, 2011
Just going to reiterate what Matt had said above..

Just because it has 5.1 on it, it doesn't mean it's good quality.

You'll be best off popping a search into google to get a recommendation on decent fluid..

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Not Halfrauds as they only do their own no name; go to a decent parts seller.
Lockhead, Lucas, Girling, AP .. all make brakes and know what they are doing.
1 litre normally does a rebuild. No point getting 3 litres as you might use 1.25 litres and you will have to throw the rest away in under 12 months (it continues to absorb water even with the lid on it.. put a date on it when you open and only use within 12 mths).
Some Dot 4 is better than Dot 5.1 but for an on the street purchase just stick with the know brands in 5.1 and you will do good enough.

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Halfords wont make there own brake fluid. I read somewhere once that comma make there engine oil so they might do there brake fluid too so it won't be that cheap a stuff.

bubbles1

Nurburgring Lover
Dec 28, 2008
Llandudno
Halfords 5.1 fluid is fine. Used it for numerous track days. Currently using motul RBF600 and to be honest cant feel the difference with the halfords stuff .

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Halfords 5.1 fluid is fine. Used it for numerous track days. Currently using motul RBF600 and to be honest cant feel the difference with the halfords stuff .

You wont find a lot of difference.

The MAJOR difference between the racing fluids and the road fluids is usually :

1. Racing fluids tend to have a higher boiling point
2. Racing fluids usually absorb moisture faster than road fluids so they don't last as long.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members