service - engine oil colour

Dawid

hi,
does this oil stain (on the right) looks like the engine oil and oil filter was changed today? the car is 59 reg TDI (left one is brand new oil from bottle I had in my garage for reference)

20130406_201000.jpg

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

M7R

Nerd...
Mar 27, 2008
Nottingjam
It does look a bit on th black side, but all depends how many miles the car has done, long life or not? How many miles since they did the change? As diesels soot up oil fast, it's not a major issue if you use the proper high quality oil.

Also depends how good the garage were at cleaning out the old oil? I always run an extra 1/2 litre through after its drained for 20mins or so to get rid of the last dregs, and clean out the filter housing, most garages won't and it doesn't take very much oil to colour the new oil,

Long life also soots the oil up more as its in there for longer, another reason non of my fleet are on long life, or my mates I look after,

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Diesel oil becomes black very fast because of the large amount soot produced from the combustion burn, residue of this is then scraped off by the piston rings and it fouls the oil, turning it black. The dirtier the burn, the faster the oil will become contaminated which, in a diesel can take literally minutes.