seat leon fr mk2 2.0 tsi or tdi 170?

jammydodgerJW

Ok guys so here goes nothing, joined the forum just now as me and the missus are buying a 12 plate leon fr+ but im stuck on which engine to get? We are going for the DSG gearbox aswell..

Currently ive put a deposit down on a 2k mile fr+ tsi but ive still got the tdi niggling in the back of my mind. I know the fuel economy is better but is it really worth it considering the to end mpg on the diesel drops just below 60mpg on the book with the updated tsi engine being 47.

My weely driving is no longer than 3 mile to and from work and a 40 mile round trip on a friday. Then usual long journey every so often whwn you go away with family

Ive compared the changes in mpg from manual to dsg and it seems the diesel takes quite a big hit when moving to dsg (drops from 65+ to below 60) yet the petrol dosent budge

Anyway id like to hear your opinions and it would be great if I could find someone whos had both cars.

Because the new models out now its hard to test drive both and chose as they are both at different dealers 100 mile apart

Thanks

sk4tec

Mar 8, 2011
TDi, don't give you better MPG with no downsides. The engines weigh more so handling will suffer (slightly) and more importantly they are very complex engines these days. So there's quite a bit more to go wrong. This is reflected in various car satisfaction reviews I've read.

As your weekly driving distance is quite small I doubt there's a point in getting the TDi. I would get the petrol!

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
Petrol! You wouldn't get diesel warmed up in 3 mile. Takes my tdi a good 4-5 mile to warm up, even longer in winter

jammydodgerJW

Petrol! You wouldn't get diesel warmed up in 3 mile. Takes my tdi a good 4-5 mile to warm up, even longer in winter

The 3 mile I do though is a 70mph dial carriageway where I generally always floor it, do the latter models still have dpf because they are just listed as seat leon fr tdi cr instead of the older less eco model beinglistesd as seat leon fr tdi dpf.

Thanks

jammydodgerJW

TDi, don't give you better MPG with no downsides. The engines weigh more so handling will suffer (slightly) and more importantly they are very complex engines these days. So there's quite a bit more to go wrong. This is reflected in various car satisfaction reviews I've read.

As your weekly driving distance is quite small I doubt there's a point in getting the TDi. I would get the petrol!

Thanks for your comments but both being 12 plates they will be under warranty for IF any mishaps go wrong? I think in an ideal world I would go diesel but not VAG diesel as at the moment BMW diesels are years ahead of anyone else. Id love a 125d auto but as they are so new im not willing to pay 25k+ price tag

jammydodgerJW

At that milage PETROL if you can afford a fast car why not. Good luck matey!

Hi cheers mate

If the diesel was more than id call it straight but I can get a diesel fr+ with 5k on for same price:( tough times

jammydodgerJW

I have a diesel and I know its only a 1.9TDi but would go for a petrol from now on. You will enjoy the petrol more trust me lol

Cheers for opinion mate another reason I initially put deposit down on petrol was because the missus said go for petrol because she would probably put petrol in a diesel lol WOMEN cant have her ruining my pride and joy

Masterkm

My Leon 'Alyssa'
Jul 11, 2011
Halesowen, West Mids
Cheers for opinion mate another reason I initially put deposit down on petrol was because the missus said go for petrol because she would probably put petrol in a diesel lol WOMEN cant have her ruining my pride and joy

Lol Women and cars sometimes dont go, no offence to the enthusiasts :p but my GF wants to drive mine and I said if I didnt do so much work to it then she could but as I have lowered it and done everything, she cant touch it haha.. (she belongs in the passenger seat hahahaha)

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2011
hull
A tdi will hold its valve better for longer aspecially with low mileage on its clock plus the fr170 tdi ain't slow by any means comes with higher torque plus if for some reason things change and u start doing longer traveling distances the tdi will become alot better on the pocket

fr1990

i prefer driving my fr tdi170 to the focus st i had, i know they are totally different but the pull you get low down in the fr is so nice, the petrol just encouraged me to drive harder haha. mines a 2007 and returns around the 50mpg mark. but from personal experience im buying another petrol turbo soon. not sure what yet but i kinda get a bit fed up in the diesel :(

jammydodgerJW

i prefer driving my fr tdi170 to the focus st i had, i know they are totally different but the pull you get low down in the fr is so nice, the petrol just encouraged me to drive harder haha. mines a 2007 and returns around the 50mpg mark. but from personal experience im buying another petrol turbo soon. not sure what yet but i kinda get a bit fed up in the diesel :(

Cheers mate, ive driven an old st and just dont feel as urgrnt as a tsi.. ive had a diesel performance car before and I too loved the low down grunt but I didnt like the low top end drop off

At moment im still siding towards nice white tsi

Apr 13, 2011
hull
Imagine the DPF problems you WONT have with a petrol!! :)

A quick search will scare you off a diesel. Sorry diesel owners haha

Am ok pd160 didn't have the stupid dpf but I have. Got to agree I don't want a modern tdi with a dpf due to its problums so it looks like ill be keeping my pd160 for life hahahhahah

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
We all know I absolutely LOVE my current diesel...
but as mentioned above, it takes a good few miles to warm up and get to good MPGs.

If I were to do your drive with my old TFSI FR DSG, I would probably see about 30mpg vs the 43 I see now. So no...not worth it...go petrol mate. All day long.

Once you start seeing daily trips of 20 miles at least, then consider diesel.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members