Thinking of getting another Cupra Or Boca?

phil_monk31

Feb 22, 2010
Hi All

Ok a few years ago I had a Boca. It has been mentioned on here a few times (KM59RUJ)

288201_10150338474980071_517100070_10089647_6924902_o.jpg

Now I am thinking of building a Leon track car and want a daily driver. I am finding myself looking at the Cupa's and the Boca's again. As well as looking at the Fabia VRS.

I had one of the first major tuned ones and the reason I sold was the famous misfire problems and the fact I was using 1ltr or Oil every 1K as well. However when the car was standard I had no problems.

I have been searching and can't find the definitive answers to my questions, and asking SEAT is like asking a small child.

If anyone can help with my questions it would be massively appreciated.

1 - Have the Misfire and Oil consumptions been sorted on new models?
2 - Have they been resolved on older models? is so what are the fixes
3 - Are the fixes recalls or break fixes?
4 - What year is the best year to look at? 09/10/11/12 etc

Massively appreciated.

Phil

Poochy

Ooo my...
Dec 4, 2007
Cardiff
Apologies if I'm wrong, as I don't own a mk5 and I've been reading mainly polo 6r information.

What I've come across is;

New software update for older models
New spark plugs are neccessary, even more so if tuning (colder, shorter ones - someone will be able to provide you with the make/type)
A breather fix was introduced for oil problem but helped little, what looks to have fixed the problem is; new piston rings, new pistons, and maybe the new engine?
Most newer cars, 12.5? Onwards have the Cthe engine rather than the first lot which was a Cave engine

phil_monk31

Feb 22, 2010
Sorry this isnt really answering your questions but why did you get rid of the Boca? Its gorgeous!!!!!!! :O x

I was putting 4 sets of plugs in it every 10K and the Oil consumption was awful. I traded it in for a MK2 LCR but its just not as fun to drive.

Apologies if I'm wrong, as I don't own a mk5 and I've been reading mainly polo 6r information.

What I've come across is;

New software update for older models
New spark plugs are neccessary, even more so if tuning (colder, shorter ones - someone will be able to provide you with the make/type)
A breather fix was introduced for oil problem but helped little, what looks to have fixed the problem is; new piston rings, new pistons, and maybe the new engine?
Most newer cars, 12.5? Onwards have the Cthe engine rather than the first lot which was a Cave engine

Interesting...... So did the new engine code have the newer pistons and rings?

I was Talking with NGK before i got rid of mine and there impression was the plugs might need to be longer to be cooled better. These engines have some funky spark plugs be be good to hear if anyone else has any info on this as well.

Thanks Poochy :)

Last edited:

Poochy

Ooo my...
Dec 4, 2007
Cardiff
I was putting 4 sets of plugs in it every 10K and the Oil consumption was awful. I traded it in for a MK2 LCR but its just not as fun to drive.

Interesting...... So did the new engine code have the newer pistons and rings?

I was Talking with NGK before i got rid of mine and there impression was the plugs might need to be longer to be cooled better. These engines have some funky spark plugs be be good to hear if anyone else has any info on this as well.

Thanks Poochy :)

Think the updated software came before the engine for a quick fix. Ngk that's the make most people use for their sparks I believe. Ah maybe it is longer, definately cooler though. New engine has the new rings and pistons.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
Mine will be for sale soon if you're interested. 45k miles (25k of those are my 100 mile daily commute) zero misfires or oil problems upgraded spark plugs and latest engine updates (hardware and software, dealer fitted) with an extended 13 month warranty. Its got all the sort after bits (race brakes, Xenon's, convenience pack) and is in cracking condition. Personal plate S14 BOC.
Give me a shout if you're interested. 9kONO Oh its also got Full Eibach Steet Line Coilovers and whiteline ARB and handles like a monster. Will have brand new front tires as well.

Last edited:

Dale-T

LOVING MY BOCANEGRA :)
Oct 31, 2011
Upminster, Essex
Mine will be for sale soon if you're interested. 45k miles (25k of those are my 100 mile daily commute) zero misfires or oil problems upgraded spark plugs and latest engine updates (hardware and software, dealer fitted) with an extended 13 month warranty. Its got all the sort after bits (race brakes, Xenon's, convenience pack) and is in cracking condition. Personal plate S14 BOC.
Give me a shout if you're interested. 9kONO Oh its also got Full Eibach Steet Line Coilovers and whiteline ARB and handles like a monster. Will have brand new front tires as well.

Not a bad price for that :)

phil_monk31

Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for the offer mardon..... But I want to get one from a dealer so if it goes bang I have somewhere to take it back to.

Anyone have any idea on my questions. I have asked the SSS guys as well but there are not many of them with experience of this engine.

Also after seeing one on the RR last week at AMD spitting a good 1ltr of our out back on the rollers, I want to make sure if I get another its had all these things sorted.

Bobanegra

Oct 15, 2010
Stirling
I've been playing with the idea of getting another Boc too, my last one would've been fine if it hadn't of been for a series of errors on Arnold Clark's behalf during and after a service.

Then I wonder whether I could be bothered with the hassle if anything was to go wrong again or the possible future costs if the gearbox was to go and it's out of warranty etc. Not sure I can be bothered owning a car that is in and out of a garage needing repairs again, however if one came up at the right price with no history of issues then who knows but for the time being my mind is firmly set on a new Leon.

phil_monk31

Feb 22, 2010
Ha ha Dave the MK2 Leon just isnt as good as the Mk1 to drive, and the Ibiza was amazing with the DSG over MK with all our roundabouts. I cant explain it, I loved that Boca.

Mardon. I might give you a shout in 8 weeks or so. :)

IbizaTDI08

Aug 7, 2008
Phil

After all the hassle I had with my Cupra, and ending up with the Leon ( which I hated ) I have now ended up with a Polo GTI.

maybe worth considering?

Rick

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.