Sticky rear caliper

CJS-90

20vT Powahhhh
Sep 30, 2010
Clitheroe
I've read copious amounts of threads on this, but a lot of them seems to fizzle out without explaining what the fix is.

I've not had the car long, less than a week in fact, and in that time I've suffered from a cracked windscreen, tiles falling off a roof last night making a mess of my rear bumper (thankfully only the rear bumper, and not the rest of the car!!!!) and now this sticky caliper. I think the discs and pads are about due to be done anyway, they're rusted like heck as the rears barely seems to get used on the Mk4 Ibiza, Fabia vRS (both of which I've owned) and the Leon (Cupra R).

Anyway, basically I'm looking to rectify the sticky caliper without actually replacing the caliper. Is there a way to do this? I'll be changing the discs and pads anyway so I'll have everything apart. I'm pretty confident with most things mechanical and do a lot of my own work on the car, and if I can't do it my mechanic friend can.

Any help appreciated!

Chris.

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
I've previously been told that it's not really worth screwing around trying to refurb the calliper - in that you can do it but it's more hassle than it's worth.

New calliper is about £60 from a dealer iirc.

turbomick

onvi yellow cupra r
Apr 12, 2011
halifax
There a spring u can buy for few quid if that that pull the caliper back that bit more ill get u part number Tomoz pal I had same problem

CJS-90

20vT Powahhhh
Sep 30, 2010
Clitheroe
Aye I won't be buying another caliper in a hurry with the rest of the money I've had to spend since I got it. So the consensus is that you can clean them up, install that spring and they can be OK? I'm picking up some new discs and pads tonight from my local super factors and fitting at some point this weeks so I'll be sure to clean the caliper up properly when fitting, and hopefully that'll fix it! Just wish I had a SEAT/VW dealer closer to me! Nearest SEAT is 25miles and nearest VW is 15miles

Cheers

Last edited:

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
The springs don't help a sticking caliper, but for a couple of quid they're worth installing anyway. You can reach under the car and clip them in, doesn't need jacking up etc so you don't need to go out of your way to get them while you're doing discs/pads.

Make sure you pull the sliders out, I rattled a screwdriver around in the hole to try and pull out the crap from in there and then made sure the pin was well greased before putting it back in and I've had no probs since.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.