Slicks for Ibiza MK3

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Has anyone run slicks on an Ibiza on here? I want to run the car as a track car now and looking for ideas, or places where I could get some.

Currently I run 205/45/16s and I know that slicks are measured differently, the middle number is a rolling radius of the whole tyre. Just can't seem to find anything :(

Reactions: S's Cupra
Aug 22, 2011
aberdeen
When you find out what size u need try eBay and rally sites. It's very often you can pick up sets which have been used once for a race then taken off so have loads of life left in them and cost like 30 quid a tyre :)

Sean's Xperia arc

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130887168580?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I've been told that this is an unusual size, however.

For my road tyres, 205/45/16 translates to 205/591/16 slick tyres so need to aim for something as close to that as possible.

Pirelli do RE's which are 200/600/16 - see this link http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorsport/sheet/re.html as the 200 figure can range quite far from 200mm! Always check the manufacturers spec list/ tech data for the tyre.

This knowledge came as courtesy from RobT. I can try an answer questions though.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
Do you have any tracks which limit the use of slicks?

Every one I've been to there were always people with slicks; Silverstone, Goodwood, Bedford Autodrome, Anglesey. Curious with this now!

Just make sure you check with them before assuming you can use them. A lot have rules that you have to have a roll cage if using slicks or some event organisers just don't allow slicks. It's not necessarily the venue but the organisers. Just make sure you check thats all :)

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Just make sure you check with them before assuming you can use them. A lot have rules that you have to have a roll cage if using slicks or some event organisers just don't allow slicks. It's not necessarily the venue but the organisers. Just make sure you check thats all :)

Nice pointer, thanks for the heads up. Will check prior to booking in future. Cage might be something I get in the future.

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
I was on the circuit at Goodwood on Monday, and the circuit (not the organisers) stipulated that slicks were not permitted. Definitely worth checking before you book, and in the case of Goodwood, don't rely on what they tell you.

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
Another good pointer - thanks again.

So far ClubMSV and Gold Track DO allow slicks - but as suggested above, if the track themselves specify something different, no doubt this would be over ruled.

Case of taking two sets of wheels really!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
keeping oil in sump without baffles is something to consider.. and brakes will be working so much harder when on slicks you would'nt believe

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.