What are the FR 17" alloys like in the flesh?

pubsinger

Jan 18, 2007
Having only seen both versions of the 18" wheels, has anyone got the standard 17" alloys as that's what I've ordered mine with?

Still got about 8 weeks for delivery and not sure whether to put in a call for the 18"s.

If you've got the 17"s what do they look like?

All the best

Pub

StevenM

Apr 2, 2013
Which is just what I did last week!

I've not seen the 17s in the metal but found a couple of decent images on the web and decided I just couldn't live with them so called the dealer and amended my order. It's a shame the SE 17s can't be specced on the FR because I think they'd offer a nice balance of style and comfort.

Sent from my piece of shite iPhone - according to Muz.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
I saw them on a white FR at Seat in Dundee.

They are very very plain and do not suit the car.
Infact theyre bl@@dy awful!

Im so glad I upgraded to 18s.

The 17s on the SE would have been better suited to the FR I think.

Andy

Last edited:

Nganasan

Feb 28, 2013
Estonia
When I saw today in flesh white SE with 16" wheels and red FR with standard 17", then believe me, the FR wheels looked way better and suited very well for the car. They give sportier look and I think by just checking the catalog it doesn't give you the correct feeling. Dealer was also positively surprised how they look in real life.

reiben101

Its hard to find good photos that really show them properly. On most photos they look really bad, but on some closeups and videos they look a lot better.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Well, like I said earlier, Ive seen them on an FR in Dundee Seat and they are awful.

They look about 20 years old and are not at all sporty.

Andy

phsroberts

When I saw today in flesh white SE with 16" wheels and red FR with standard 17", then believe me, the FR wheels looked way better and suited very well for the car. They give sportier look and I think by just checking the catalog it doesn't give you the correct feeling. Dealer was also positively surprised how they look in real life.

You get different 17's abroad I think. I believe the 17's you get are the optional ones we get on the SE spec...these wheels are indeed very nice and should be the standard FR wheels here too!

EndlessNameless

Keep it Maximum
Jun 26, 2012
I'd definitely get some upgraded ones. Those standard FR ones look like something from a 10 year old Audi (and would probably look alright on an A4).

Definitely agree about the optional SE wheels being better, but I guess if they put those on the FR as standard then they'd sell considerably fewer optional wheels on FRs.

Nganasan

Feb 28, 2013
Estonia
Bad road conditions in Estonia were the only reason I went for the standard 17" wheels. I have even ordered black 16" Anzio wheels for winter tires.

pubsinger

Jan 18, 2007
Good news, managed to get mine changed to the 18" performance alloys before the cut-off. Also good news the car is, as I type, on a boat of the coast of Portugal. The dealer has real-time tracking of the car's location.

For whatever reason it's being dropped off up near Newcastle, dealer expects it to be delivered next weekend or early next week.

Much Love

Pub

EndlessNameless

Keep it Maximum
Jun 26, 2012
Well I saw a mk3 Leon in the metal for the first time yesterday, it was a dark grey FR on the standard wheels, and to be honest I thought the wheels looked pretty good on it.

I also thought the LED DRLs looked absolutely killer. To any prospective owners, make sure you spec them, they're fantastic.

Very smart looking car, I thought. Definitely one of the best looking cars in its class (The only one I can think of which I like more is a Volvo V40).

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
Personally, I just don't like the back of the S40. I didn't mind the look of the V40, but I don't think that car worked as a saloon. They were right to change it to a hatchback, but it is just ugly imo.