New owner and slight whine

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
Hi, i'm a new owner of a 54 Cupra R, love the car, got a few bits to sort out like thermostat but nothing major.
But there's one thing I've noticed which I am not sure about is a whine noise at low revs, its not really loud at all. I've done a search and it quite common apparently.
But I am getting a whine noise mostly on deceleration but will still happen when coasting and in neutral.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
I have been driving it again and it only really whines at 30-35mph accelerating and deceleration any ideas guys?

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
anyone have any ideas? The whine is only there between 30-35 mph and is there if i accelerate or decelerate.

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
It's a internal gearbox fault........Turn the radio up is the cheaper option...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
I thought it might be, would driving it cause futher damage? Is this common then car has done 99,000miles.

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
It's very common issue I recently read that somewhere have used shims to take the play out the layshaft and bearings to cure it, someone on here said recently they was the first owner of there LCR and its done it from nearly new

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
Thanks mate, put my mind at ease. If it gets any louder or start grinding, then ill have it looked at. Thanks!

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Mines whines on!

Done it since i've owned it to no ill effect!

Turn up radio - sorted

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
Thats good to know, i haven't been enjoying driving it since im worried about the noise, its not really loud at all, but now I know its a common thing, ill start enjoying the car now!
Really impressed with it so far 200miles to half a tank so far much better than i thought i would get!
Just need to get a 007 dv.

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
Ive brought some fuchs gearbox oil, I am going to change the gearbox oil at the weekend, I know it won't cure it but you never know. Has anyone tried molyslip before?

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
I've read good things about molyslip on an Audi forum which helped with a whine from the box. Just want to know if anyone has used it before. I've got some sitting in the garage and might put it in when I do the oil change.
Anyone used molyslip before?

Last edited:

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
Still not convinced its a gearbox noise.
The noise starts at 30 mph and stops at 35 mph, doesnt matter what gear I am in or whether I am accelerating or decelerating. It doesn't whine at any other speeds whether engine braking or not.
Seems to get louder when turning right when loading the left wheel bearing.
Anyone else with a similar noise?
If it was a gearbox bearing or diff noise wouldn't it whine at any speed?

DuamoLCR

Mar 23, 2013
Brackley
Mine whines in 3rd aswell but only under deceleration changed oil gear for a quick fix but made no difference but hasn't got any worse since I've owned it and I'm not particularly friendly to gearboxes.

Last edited:

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
Mine will only whine between 30 and 35 mph in any gear. It doesn't whine at any other speed which is different to most people I think which makes me think it could be something else.

GJF47

May 15, 2011
Hirwaun, South Wales
Mine whines and the noise goes up and down with the revs, mostly through the lower gears. Not got a clue what it is and it only started a few weeks ago. Sounds like an electric car or something!

diddles

Dec 17, 2009
If yours is rev related and not road speed, could possibly a noisy pulley or pump.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.