low mpg .....is it normal?

paul_white

Feb 25, 2013
Derbyshire
Hello think I might have a problem with my altea... I travel 8 miles to work and only get about 36 mpg ( according to the dash display) if I try and get more mpg the maximum I can get is 41 miles to the gallon. I know it's only a short distance so I went for a drive the other night, took it steady and did about 40 miles, but still only managed 43 mpg. Plus on the weekend when I rack up 30 miles I'm getting a mpg reading of 34 .

Iv read on here of people getting into the 50's, iv had my altea for a month now, it's a 2.0 tdi 140 with only 31k on the clock dealer said they gave it a service before I picked it up, I put some injector cleaner through the system and have tried a few different fuels, Tesco normal, shell normal, shell v power, bp normal and bp ultimate, and still am only getting a maximum of 41mpg,

So my question is ........ Is this normal ? Or have I got a problem?

jamborino

Aug 3, 2009
Presumably it's the PD engine, not the Common Rail?

If so, the 2.0 litre TDI is considerably less frugal than the 1.9 litre TDI.

I've owned my Freetrack from new, and don't think I've ever got more than 40mpg out of it. Admittedly it's a bit heavier than the standard Altea, but as diesel engines go they're not the most economic.

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
Yeah it's an 06 so pd 140 bkd engine

I would suggest that is a little low, I used to get more than that from my old 2.0 BKD Altea, but driving style will make big difference. What can you get out of it on motorway run? Also, brim the tank and work out manually what the mpg is, see if it in any way matches.

Last edited:

ant_mtbr

i had a dpf clear out and a major service when i experienced low mpg in my 1p leon fr550, and after that it was back up in the respectable 40's

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
i had a dpf clear out and a major service when i experienced low mpg in my 1p leon fr550, and after that it was back up in the respectable 40's

Pretty sure an 06 plate 2.0 BKD doesn't have a DPF - a major plus point!

paul_white

Feb 25, 2013
Derbyshire
Well iv done a few miles on the motorway ......about 60 in total last week and still only managed to get a maximum of 47mpg, I can rule out driving style as my journey to work is mainly down hill and I'm driving as eco as I can. tried to hit 50mpg today by getting up to speed then coasting as far as I can, but still only got 45mpg.
I don't have a dpf so can't be that,
Might have to try working out the mpg manually but got to wait for some funds, still trying out different fuels at the mo.
I'm thinking it's not had a proper service and I need to go round it. Gonna see if I can get hold of the tools from work and give it a good going through at the weekend. Check everything.

cadman2k

Jul 15, 2003
Visit site
low mpg

I owned the 140tdi 2.0 altea for over 8 years, 2004 plate - sold it with over 120k on the clock and it was generally reporting between 52-55 on a run. taking it easy i.e 56mph on a 14 mile run comprising 2-3 mile downhill i could get the average reading 60-62mpg on the readout.
i regulary had the diesel filter changed, despite it being not required till 80-100k according to service sheets, i would say thats a good starting point for you to consider

pdh 14a

Mr Fussy
Jan 21, 2008
Swansea
That is about 10-mpg down on my 05 2.0 tdi! mine has 60k miles on it,but i've owned it from 24k and its been consistent! :)

paul_white

Feb 25, 2013
Derbyshire
Yeah I'm thinking of changing the fuel filter, air filter, and have a look at the plugs, possibly take a look at the injectors and clean the (erg?) valve, also going to install an oil catch tank and check all the intake piping and intercooler whilst I'm at it.

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
I have had my 07 plate 2.0TDI 140 since new and currently got 78k miles on the clock.

My mpg averages about 42 and that is very much a 13 mile commute each way to work over A and Motorways.

I am just back from a trip down to London and back and, sitting at a cruise control speed of 76mph (GPS) I managed to squeeze out 45.5mpg.

I have seen me doing a 30 mile round trip on the Motorway at a speed of 56mph and still only recorded mid 40s mpg.

One of the factors I believe is the sixth gear and when best to move up to it - I usually move up as quickly as I can but without the engine struggling but sometimes when I compare the instant mpg readout, it gives better in 5th when I think 6th is the more appropriate gear.

What this engine doesn't like is short journeys - nipping down to the local Tesco for bread and milk kills the mpg.

I previously tried using Millers additive and though it did improve things, I was pretty sure that was because I was consciously driving differently and therefore that improved the mpg more than the Millers.

Its a big heavy car, with a big heavy engine. Before I had this I had a Scenic with a 1.9dci (130) engine and it regularly gave late 40s and early 50s on long runs.

iain1970

I ♥ TDI
Apr 19, 2005
The Wrong side of the Pennines
On an (indicated) 80mph mptorway run, I average low 50s out of mine. Day to day, my commute is 20 miles each way along 30-50mph roads. I get high 50s to work and mid 40s home (heavier traffic). I'm not shy withh the throttle, but have had it long enou now to know how to get the best from it. In urban traffic, sixth gear really kills mpg, fifth can be better.

ToledoTed

My OH BKD Skoda is averaging 33mpg! The 2.0 PD TDI isn't very economical tbh. Especially on short runs

paul_white

Feb 25, 2013
Derbyshire
Well iv been trying out fuels and been messing with my driving style and think iv figured it out.

Had a look in my air box the other day and found a plate with loads of slats in it under the filter. Took that out and found the car is more responsive, and my mpg has gone up! The best fuel iv found for the engine and mpg is shell v power but at 1.60 a liter it's a tad on the expensive side,

But with the fuel and me taking the plate out the filter I'm now getting 48.7 mpg on the way to work and that's just driving normally! Think if I tried, I could see an easy 50 - 55 mpg on the 8 mile run to work!.

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
On an (indicated) 80mph mptorway run, I average low 50s out of mine. Day to day, my commute is 20 miles each way along 30-50mph roads. I get high 50s to work and mid 40s home (heavier traffic). I'm not shy withh the throttle, but have had it long enou now to know how to get the best from it. In urban traffic, sixth gear really kills mpg, fifth can be better.

Iain, at what point / speeds / roads do you use sixth gear?

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
Well iv been trying out fuels and been messing with my driving style and think iv figured it out.

Had a look in my air box the other day and found a plate with loads of slats in it under the filter. Took that out and found the car is more responsive, and my mpg has gone up! The best fuel iv found for the engine and mpg is shell v power but at 1.60 a liter it's a tad on the expensive side,

But with the fuel and me taking the plate out the filter I'm now getting 48.7 mpg on the way to work and that's just driving normally! Think if I tried, I could see an easy 50 - 55 mpg on the 8 mile run to work!.

any chance of a picture of what you took out ?

MM

paul_white

Feb 25, 2013
Derbyshire
Here you go, it was directly under the filter reducing air flow ........not sure why. The only thing I can think of is for keeping emissions down?

IMG_20130425_100247.jpg

paul_white

Feb 25, 2013
Derbyshire
Well I managed to hit 50.4 mpg! This morning and to be honest I wasn't even trying till the last 2 miles. Couldn't do better as I was behind a bus.

Stephen O

May 4, 2004
Manchester
I ve also removed the grill from my Fr...didnt notice a massive difference tbh....im currently getting 39.7mpg on trip computer, but thats 90% town driving.

jamborino

Aug 3, 2009
Is there a downside to removing this grill thing?

It must be there for some reason, mustn't it????

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise