Leon FR 150 - Awesome remap! Clutch doesn't agree!

gdjohny

Crazy Mechanical Engineer
Dec 25, 2010
Kettering
Hi
I am looking for a tuned file for ARL
I have uprated clutch for CG motorsport 6 paddle clutch with uprated pressure plate and new sachs DMF. Its so smooth and the clutch pedal is very light to operate.

markyboy76

Dec 30, 2010
the shires
Well, 2 months later and 4k miles later, all is holding up very well.

No probs with clutch slipping at all.

Car still going like f**k after the remap, and no issues with that either.

Well happy with it all.

So this is really for the people wanting to remap their 150 and are worrying about clutch issues.

Although the gurus are probably correct in saying you should ideally bang in an uprated clutch kit, I can say from experience that I have fitted a standard Sachs kit and it holds up fine. Not even a hint of slip.

Can't say that it wont give you troubles if you are hammering away from standing starts etc, cos I don't drive like that.

But I do use all the power in all the gears at any revs and it isnt slipping at all.

Cheers.
:D

Is that clutch still OK mines about fooked now and I have been pondering the same, standard or uprated, £105 is a good price, where from if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

lj03

THE GRIM REAPER
Mar 29, 2011
plymouth
tuning

Yeah but surely you get a remap to give it a bootful?! ;)

I see you are on a Revo map?

Are you still on your standard clutch then?

EDIT: Just seen that yours is a 110. Not sure thats running quite the same amount of torque as a remapped 150! But still interested in your views!

ive got revo stage 3 never had problem with the clutch!!! where abouts are gh tuning i allways go to alan jeffries but wish i could find another tuner!! have they got a rr

mentalmechanic

Mar 16, 2010
Is that clutch still OK mines about fooked now after my remap and I have been pondering the same, standard or uprated, £105 is a good price, where from if you don't mind me asking? My brakes are wrecked too, got a bit hot, these remaps are ace aren't they, ha ha

Clutch is still spot on. But my cam aint! See here

But that is the usual PD thing with these ARL's. Not down to remap as it happens on standard motors also.

I put a standard Sachs clutch and flywheel in, no issues with slip at all. Got it from my local factors who I have a trade account with. Clutch £105, flywheel £243.

mentalmechanic

Mar 16, 2010
Clutch is still spot on. But my cam aint! See here

But that is the usual PD thing with these ARL's. Not down to remap as it happens on standard motors also.

I put a standard Sachs clutch and flywheel in, no issues with slip at all. Got it from my local factors who I have a trade account with. Clutch £105, flywheel £243.

Just realised you posted about my cam in the other thread!

Doh!!!
:lol:

kingbee

Apr 25, 2011
What is clutch slip? After remapping, when accelerating hard from 2nd to 3rd gear (in 110 TDi), it seems like the ABS like flickers on and I lose traction - is that clutch slip or the traction control kicking in?

Thanks

verble fr

Sounds like your traction control is kicking in buy that discription.

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
What is clutch slip? After remapping, when accelerating hard from 2nd to 3rd gear (in 110 TDi), it seems like the ABS like flickers on and I lose traction - is that clutch slip or the traction control kicking in?

Thanks

yeah thats the traction control light by the sounds of it as it will show on the dash, clutch slip is when the car rev's will increase too quickly under acceleration and so shoot from 2k to 3k for example in a fraction of a second and then drop again when the clutch catches up

on mine running revo stage 1 and cat back stainless exhaust with a cone filter, i do have clutch slip at low rev's if i put my foot down but i just drive accordingly so i don't have the problem

markyboy76

Dec 30, 2010
the shires
Ok mentalmechanic ive just put me a standard clutch in too so we will see who's lasts longest. It seems OK at the moment. My DMF looked ok so I roughed it up with some emery cloth. Old clutch was worn out, it had some signs of slippage but not big burn marks or anything. Fingers crossed.

I also got a set of 312mm brakes putting them on this afternoon if all goes well.

mentalmechanic

Mar 16, 2010
Ha ha! I'm no boy racer with it though! With regard to the Standing starts!

My clutch is still sweet when booting it at any revs/gears so yours should be fine.

What make clutch did you fit?

foxtrotbravo77

Thanks

As the others have noted above, your traction control light coming on means the power is getting to the wheels, but traction control is taking action to prevent wheelspin.

Clutch slip, appears exactly as described above. I've had this post remap on a previous car. You put your foot down, revs jump with no increase in acceleration, then drop and you begin to accelerate again. With too much power the clutch cannot 'bite', so slips.

You either get a higher rated clutch, or accelerate a bit more conservatively, the latter of which I learned to do as it's free!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

markyboy76

Dec 30, 2010
the shires
Ha ha! I'm no boy racer with it though! With regard to the Standing starts!

My clutch is still sweet when booting it at any revs/gears so yours should be fine.

What make clutch did you fit?

I got a 3 piece LUK rep set which included CSS from Euro £140 it had a SACHS clutch inside, I believe that LUK and other companies borrow each others stuff for financial reasons, ie its not worth LUK manufacturing a clutch that SACHS already make etc. Dunno how true that is but thats what I was told by our parts guru. It seems fine and not slipped as yet, as for racing starts I don't do those either, not anymore, ha ha.

SACHS website has useful info on checking the DMF which I did, also it say's replace DMF on second clutch replacement so I guess I will do that next time. The clutch was proper worn out a good 1-1.5 mm less friction materiel than the new one.

Brakes are mint now ive put 312's on. :D

Im a bit sore, did all this on my drive on some stands, ouch

markyboy76

Dec 30, 2010
the shires
Ok mentalmechanic ive just put me a standard clutch in too so we will see who's lasts longest. It seems OK at the moment. My DMF looked ok so I roughed it up with some emery cloth. Old clutch was worn out, it had some signs of slippage but not big burn marks or anything. Fingers crossed.

I also got a set of 312mm brakes putting them on this afternoon if all goes well.

4K Miles later and cluct is going just fine, no slip whatsoever, guess I saved a few quid on that uprated jobbie! :)

DarrenJ

Seat like you mean it!
Dec 3, 2008
Galway, Ireland
This is whats stopping me getting a re-map i simply want to enjoy the new power so until i can afford both the clutch and the map at once i'll have to simply wait! :cry:

Man this is off-topic - but **** me pink that's a nice looking motor! Love the colour and the alloys!

leerobbo78

Right. Latest update.

Cash-flow not really up to updated Sachs clutch at the moment.

So I took a punt on a standard Sachs clutch at £105.

Fitted it myself on saturday, and now all is well! No slippage at all!

Bite point is a lot lower so I reckon the old clutch pressure plate was maybe on it's last legs and the remap tipped it over the edge.

I don't drive like a complete tool in any case, pulling wheelspins etc plus the mrs uses it most of the time so it should hold out. If it does go then hopefully then I'll be able to afford the uprated Sachs clutch.

Will report back in a few months maybe to let you guys know how it's holding out. Cheers.

hi there, ive done alot of searching the net and cant find that clutch for £105, is there any chance you could put a link as my remapped cupra is now needing a clutch, its the tdi model too

mentalmechanic

Mar 16, 2010
Hi.

I didn't get it off the net. I'm In the trade and got it from a motor factor I deal with regularly.

It was a standard Sachs kit not an uprated kit and it's still going strong 8k miles later.

Hope this helps.

mentalmechanic

Mar 16, 2010
Well I haven't been on the forum for ages and thought I would update this thread.

Over 2 years and 33000 miles later, the car is still running like a dream! I've had no problems at all with the car whatsoever.

Sachs clutch that was put in after the remap still holding up perfectly fine.

Absolutely love this car and the remap. Even with the extra power averaging 46-50 MPG.

Best car I've had.

Hope this helps somebody somewhere!

Cheers

smudge2011

Feb 20, 2010
Norfolk
Well I haven't been on the forum for ages and thought I would update this thread.

Over 2 years and 33000 miles later, the car is still running like a dream! I've had no problems at all with the car whatsoever.

Sachs clutch that was put in after the remap still holding up perfectly fine.

Absolutely love this car and the remap. Even with the extra power averaging 46-50 MPG.

Best car I've had.

Hope this helps somebody somewhere!

Cheers

lol don't it just, this DMF/clutch business been putting me off for a few months & due bonus from work. Not sure the wife will agree, but what she don't know won't hurt her! ;)

mentalmechanic

Mar 16, 2010
lol don't it just, this DMF/clutch business been putting me off for a few months & due bonus from work. Not sure the wife will agree, but what she don't know won't hurt her! ;)

Ha ha nice one!

Yeah do it its definitely worth it, pulls like a train still.

By the way the it was just an ordinary Sachs replacement clutch not a fancy uprated one. They're very expensive.

1986brandon1

Nov 16, 2011
Chester
Awesome that you updated this as the clutch price is putting me off a remap. Did you change the flywheel as well? was this necessary?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members