FR TDi 170, 56 plate whining noise advice?

Rosskie

Apr 20, 2013
Hi folks - Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction with this.

I've searched the forum too btw!

Just picked up fr tdi 170 the other day and I've noticed a whining noise, bit like a siren, so I'm thinking turbo, but...

Noise isn't present when reving the engine out of gear - does the turbo spin up when I'm not moving?

No Vagcom errors.

Mainly happens between 1200 and 1700 revs.

Most noticable in 1st, 2nd and 3rd...

Its not very loud and seems to improve when the cars warmed up.

If I put the clutch down at 1500rpm in 2nd the noise is still there, but tails off as the revs drop.

Going to jack it up check the bearings but dont think its them either.

Any ideas/suggestions on what to try?

Dont think its gearbox, and if its turbo, I can just get a bigger one :)

Cheers guys - looking forward to ownership + expect I'll be on the forum a lot.

Ross

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
I aren't 100% but I would say its the turbo due to the noise happening when it's starting to spool up.

Have you got any small leaks from the turbo?

Rosskie

Apr 20, 2013
Cheers for reply, really helpful!

I has a seach for how to check for boost leaks and found threads saying that a lot of 170's make a similar noise when cold, and its normal. Hoping that is the same thing...

I should have searched a bit better, but whining wasn't a good keyword.

Think I'll stop looking for problems and enjoy the car!

Thanks

insamoufonyx

Cheers for reply, really helpful!

I has a seach for how to check for boost leaks and found threads saying that a lot of 170's make a similar noise when cold, and its normal. Hoping that is the same thing...

I should have searched a bit better, but whining wasn't a good keyword.

Think I'll stop looking for problems and enjoy the car!

Thanks

i wouldn't worry about it my mapped 140 does exactly the same and is showing no issues and pulls 181bhp on RR.

Phew! I don't know if I've just never noticed it before but heard this "whining" the other day with the radio off and now I pick up on it all the time! Was starting to get worried.

I have to admit, I never thought it was the turbo, have heard a few cars with knackered bearings/shafts and it's not the same. Did perhaps think it might have been a bad earth and it was radio interference but it happened with the radio off too so not that. Does anyone know the actual cause?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.