Would you buy a cupra tdi with 150k

Seal_LCR

Jun 4, 2012
Redditch
As title says really.

The car is to replace my current work shed and fancy a leon as I have a few spares and VAGCOM plus a little knowledge of common faults.

The car is to do roughly a 1000miles a month 350 of those as two trips to Oxford and back. So technically this time next year it would have 165k max then year after 180k then it would be gone for a replacement.

Pros and cons bar the obvious.

Derekm2104

Aug 16, 2011
If you were willing to drive it until its dead yes. I always think how I'd feel trying to sell something on with that kind of miles. I try avoid anything over 120k. Price dependant obviously.

SpidaCZ

Aug 17, 2012
Czech Republic
www.seat-forum.cz
These engines are generaly able to run for 250K+ with proper service. Of course there is risk of faulty bits as injectors, DMF, MAF, alternator pulley, etc.. Everything needs some care. For me, PD is last well built engine. I would not be affraid of 150K if the car was serviced properly using standart oil change interval and right oil. Maybe you will start love that car as I do :)

brett1223

Dec 15, 2012
Durham
They will go 250k plus easy if it's been looked after! I would make sure its got FSH though, just so you know its ok.

Mines on 115k. I do 25k upwards a year but il be keeping mine until its death. I think that's the only way to get your money out of high mileage cars.

Seal_LCR

Jun 4, 2012
Redditch
If you were willing to drive it until its dead yes. I always think how I'd feel trying to sell something on with that kind of miles. I try avoid anything over 120k. Price dependant obviously.

Yeah in of the same opinion with high miles its just whether I run it into the ground or not.

I'd be more tempted if it had a recent or in its life clutch DMF or a turbo. As its had none it might be a can of worms!

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
Rather high mile motorway car than a low mile towny any day
As long as its been looked after it'll be fine,mine was bought with 154k now its on 169k in just over a year
But the pd engines need a good service history 150k is nothing to worry about

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
I sold my modded tdi 04 cupra(mapped to 225hp at 113k) hybrid jabba etc, when it had done 157k...
Biggest mistake I ever made. I had the head off at 145k and there was no bore wear at all. That car just got better and better. Used little oil and maxed out at 160 on the clock.
Redundancy forced sale or I would still have it now.

Last edited:

Kambo

Mar 28, 2013
Hants
Don't people here have any faith in these engines? :censored:

Bought a PD150 two weeks ago with 160k on it, yes 160 not 60

Couple of faults lights after a couple of days (usual MAF and ECT) both changed and car is running sweet again, its not like it was running rough with the fault lights on either!

People were telling me not to buy it because of the high miles, I'm still asking them why? The car still embarrasses alot of cars once moving :whistle: and its still 100% standard with stamped history

I would never buy anything but a german engine with high miles, if it goes pop tomorrow so what? an engine with 60k can go pop anytime

Give these engines a bit of credit - nuff said

Brettyboy

Jan 21, 2012
Exeter,Devon
Tbh i'm more worried when a diesel has low mileage,after all the main reason for owning 1 is when you do high miles & if you don't theres no point owning 1,low mileage 1's usually suffer from sticky turbo's etc

A year ago pd150's were going for 4.5k-5k now you can pick them up for 2.5k upward,they have come right down in price

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.