Recon or new?

smudge2011

Feb 20, 2010
Norfolk
I have done a search! But can't really see an answer. Basically looks like my turbo has gone & I'm hoping it has done any internal engine damage :cry:

Not looking to go hybrid although would love too. Only had the car for 4 months and planning to keep it a few years! What would guys go for a reman turbo or new? Really not sure what why to go.

Been saving and come the end of the month would of had enough for remap and lowering... GUTTED!:(

Dec 25, 2009
I have used a remanu turbo on my ol Passat TDI (55 Plate), didnt have any issues. I used Midland Turbo.

Last edited:

smudge2011

Feb 20, 2010
Norfolk
I have used a remanu turbo on my ol Passat TDI (55 Plate), didnt have any issues. I used Midland Turbo.

Only had it 4 months and looking to keep it for another few years. Would you still go with a recon? bearing that in mind.

Spoke to garage earlier and they have said the oil has gone into the cambers and hardly any oil reading on the dip stick. But turbo is totally shot and cant crank it till have got a replacement turbo!!!

joshy514

Fleet Air Arm by ability.
Mar 2, 2012
Gloucester
www.seatcupra.net
I used midland too, £222 all in inc delivery both ways! I would recommend getting the darkside braided oil feed line for an extra £50 though. Mine is 150 arl too

Sent from my iPhone

Dec 25, 2009
As said remanu is basically new bud, any issues you have guarantee ;) Id buy genuine gaskets if i was you though when swapping turbo.

smudge2011

Feb 20, 2010
Norfolk
Cheers for the posts people. Think I will go recon! Like you say get a years warranty anyway... Cheaper as well.

Does anyone know how the Midland turbos process works? Do they have units ready to go or do you have to send them your turbo?

Dec 25, 2009
Send your turbo to them or they can collect, and provided yours is useable, they send you one already done in lovely silver

Last edited:

smudge2011

Feb 20, 2010
Norfolk
Just called midland turbos. Have not got any exchange units available at the moment, so would recon my unit for 325+vat. 2 year warranty

Is that a good price?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members