Cars to compare a Cupra to??

Aug 3, 2011
Not really sure what to title this.

Im a guy, therefore autotrader and pistonheads are regularly peruesed for new toys :)

But honestly im struggling to think of anything that comes close to the performance of a stage 1 Cupra without costing the world in one way or another. The cupra gives alot of bang for its buck when you look at the cheap tax and mpg ect while still putting a smile on your face with a few cheap mods.

What I want from you guys are suggestions of a car that car do all or most of the following, standard or slightly modified(say, a remap and induction)

£200-/+ tax
30+mpg
Generally cheap insurance ( This one will vary massivley)
0-60 sub 6s(5.5 or less even better ;) )
140mph+
Relativly new as well.

We will ignore the fab VRS,Polo GTi and Audi A1 however :p

Last edited:

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
New Fiesta ST seems to be ticking all the boxes, REVO remap and induction supposedly releases an extra 50bhp according to the rumours. So there's 220+bhp relatively easy. Moontoon supposedly has a 250bhp mule as well.

New Clio 200 as well, anything new with a small turbo DI engine will probably match the cupra in all those aspects.

Aug 3, 2011
Yeah the fez looks like a good contender, spesh with a map.

Clio 200 is ugly from the front. However good shout. Suppose the new pug GTi can be seen in the same light. Anything other than hot hatches though?

I keep looking at bmw(i know!) Z4 the 3.0 or the 3.2M I think the coupe looks the bees knees and shift a fair bit :D the 3.2 would destroy me on servicing,mpg,tyres but the 3.0 isnt looking like a bad idea. . .

Apr 9, 2009
Tax is £250 and i get around 30 on the motorway regardless of driving style. Not ideal when compared to my old Boc but had to get a five door because of my son. A lot of fun and 300bhp at stage 1 :)

Aug 3, 2011
See im getting 35 in the city and can get 40+ on a run. Tax is a bit steep too lol

Apr 9, 2009
Tell me about it... :/ :lol: I miss my boc like crazy and part of me is a bit gutted about going for the Leon but it had to be done in a short time frame. Oh well lol

Aug 3, 2011
Yeah thats the problem im finding with faster cars, its to be expected to be hoenst, but im just interested in trying to find cars that are comparable performance and price wise while still being fairly new.

Jay

Xanthianx

Apr 5, 2013
Worcester, UK
What about the BMW 125 M Sport?

0-60 : 6.3s
Tax : Band D
BHP : 214
MPG : 57 (apparently)

Very expensive and v high insurance.. Nice car though :D

123 M Sport would be another option but have to be used car and emissions are band E

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2011
Nice find, petrol I'm assuming?

Even taking 20mpg off that its still a respectable figure!

Jay

TDI ste

Jul 7, 2009
Sunny Manchester
Yeah the fez looks like a good contender, spesh with a map.

Clio 200 is ugly from the front. However good shout. Suppose the new pug GTi can be seen in the same light. Anything other than hot hatches though?

I keep looking at bmw(i know!) Z4 the 3.0 or the 3.2M I think the coupe looks the bees knees and shift a fair bit :D the 3.2 would destroy me on servicing,mpg,tyres but the 3.0 isnt looking like a bad idea. . .

Ive owned a few beemers and they are awesome, never owned one above 2.5 litre though.

3.0 or 3.2 you say ? Shall we ignore your first post about low tax and good mpg etc then lol
Then you have servicing tyres and insurance which doesnt come cheap on beemers. Also the Z4 would be older in comparison with more mileage and wear n tear than a newer hot hatch.

Aug 3, 2011
Yeah, I'm not putting the z4 in the category of these cars I'm looking at. Im keeping the cupra just trying to see What else compares.

Aug 3, 2011
Prefer the look of the 123d coupe than the new 1 series. So *if* I was Id probs get that one instead. Id never really do enough miles to make the oil burner worth while. Ive had my cupra almost 2 years and its got 14,500m on it.

Jay

Elliot29

Apr 25, 2010
I ask myself the same question daily!! Really hard to find something to go on to without spending sill money or sacrificing speed or mpg :(

Paulyb92

Jan 8, 2013
Middlesbrough
I went to alfa romeo to look at what they had to offer. They do a mito quadrifoglio verde which has a 1.4 tb multi air engine, 167 bhp gets around 47mpg 0-60 in 7.3 seconds £125 a year to tax. Top speed of 136. Test drove it and its like **** off a stick! Nice looking car too and for the price u pay u get a massive spec inside, leather seats sat nav ect. 18" alloy wheels. Was very tempted...

mattvanders

I've just recently bought my cupra so have been through a long list of car to suit and its not easy (even more so when it has to fit in a garage lol).

audi a3/golf/leon
mito cloverleaf
punto abarth ss
fiesta metal/st
volvo c30
mini cooper s
focus st
Clio 197/200
corsa vxr

One of the biggest things that made me go for the upra was that i do a lot of milliage so wanted climite control rather than just air con, not many cars at this price range/type has it as standard or speced (even the fabia vrs and polo gti don't have it)

Last edited by a moderator: