st10587 Lupo Sport track project!! - Roll Cage Now In!!!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
ok as the lupo has sat since lydden and not really been used, i ordered it a present.... bring on the roll cage!!

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
its only a half cage but will certainly stiffen the rear. i was going to go full 6 point cage but after talking with custom cages they do not recommend it on road cars as there is a much higher chance of suffering serious head injury if not wearing a helmet, even at low speed accidents.

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
cad drawing of the roll cage from custom cages the red bar is an extra for the harness to mount to.

CL2.jpg

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Haha i will at the weekend! god dam picture *****s lol. Was just to busy at work to unwrap it lol

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Well yes and no...... the blue one got sold and replaced with a black which i havw never got round to making a thread for....

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
does the cage not cover the cockpit?

no its just the half cage.

After many in-depth long conversations with various roll cage builders they do not recommend full cages if you are using the vehicle on the road. this is due to you not wearing a helmet while driving on the road and if you have a low speed accident the risk of serious/fatal head injury due to smacking you skull against the cage. hence why GT3RS etc only have half cages.:)

we can expand the cage with the front half if we turn it into a non road legal track car.

where i sit in the lupo in the event of a roll the cage should provide good protection as i sit as far back as the seat will go as im 6ft3 :D. also the other big thing is we can mount the harness correctly :)

i see that makes perfect sense.
my thoughts were why protect the back and not the front as thats where you sit but i see your point and even the half cage offers protection to the driver well a lot more than nothing at all anyway.
when is it getting fitted?

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
i see that makes perfect sense.
my thoughts were why protect the back and not the front as thats where you sit but i see your point and even the half cage offers protection to the driver well a lot more than nothing at all anyway.
when is it getting fitted?

That and also in theory the a frame is ment to be the strongest point in a roll over. so with the extra cage should in theory hold up better the standard. lets hope i dont find out lol

its going to be over the next few weeks. need to pin down a friend of mine whos going to be welding it in. So watch this space........

on the other hand were at brands hatch on thursday with t:Dhe lupo!!

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
right small update..... was at Brands Hatch yesterday for a track evening. The Lupo did surprisingly well and was only lagging on straight line speed, which to be honest is expected. It once again surprised people at how nippy it was in the corners and if it wasn't for Brands strict overtaking rules i would have made better progress. At Brand they have a strict no overtaking in corners and a strict only overtake on the left if the car in front invite you to do so..... this rule was proving a problem as people would not move over and led to me getting black flagged in the first session for over taking to cars on the right

After a stern ticking off from the marshal's i was back out like a jack russell biting at the heals of the bigger more powerful cars! Although overtakes were few then i would have liked, it was stil a good crack.

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
well the update stands as the cage did not fit due to a small bending error from custom cages. they have rectified the main hoop and it will be going in this Saturday instead!

on the plus side had a good few sessions down at the BHP show at Lydden hill on Monday. The little lupo got a fair amount of attention as it scamper round the track like a terrier!

st10587

Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
are you going to get a gopro camera to go on your cage?

its something i want and will be looking into after the cage is in. i really want some incar on even mount a camera outside in the bumper for some close apex footage:lol:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.