LCR W.I.P Update K04 Hybrid- F23 Here, mini review page 50

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Sorry lads, i've been hard at it all day.

The turbo is fitted, i spent most of the day rerouting pipes and cables for the new TIP and basically checking everything the mechanic did, its all good now, just finished.I must say apart from the PCV hose on the TIP not matching up the TIP is a very good fitment for our cars, i only had to trim the part when the MAF sits, the rest was spot on.

THe car needs to be mapped straight away, the DC's are way off and setup for my old turbo,(AKA maxed out DC across the board) i couldnt give the car any load on the way home as it was spiking to 35psi, i clipped it back to 25psi with the MBC but a remap in 100% in order.

I literally just finished working on the engine bay but can't get it out for logging as the 2 little ones are aspleep in bed and the missus is out.

I can tell you howerver this turbo is on full spool but 3100rpm if not a bit less which is very very impressive, it spools so fast its incredible.

I know it looks like a mess, still work to do.

I had a good look over the old CR turbo and instantly spotted something that would not have helped it holding boost.

The WG penny had shifted leaving a small gap.

Sorry i dont have more stuff for you but i was not willing to log the car without the peace of mind that all the piping was correct, secure and that the boost could not flare up and brake something.But i can get logs tomorrow which is the good news.

This is what is on the cards not for the evening a few of these

P.S i broke the MAF housing but its not a show stopper.

Last edited:

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
No point doing logs, MAF is screw balled.

I did get out and do some spins, that DV i talked about earlier is on the car, the one that looks like it came out of an engine room on a ship, well it sounds like it also, this thing is LOUD, its the loudest DV i've every heard on a car actually, i am going to have to look for way to dull it down, it turns heads and i'm not a fan of that.

Video here, its louder in real life.Also check out how fast boost builds to 25psi( remember to change to the HD version)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpErBNrYtj8&list=UU8daQUNZDtvqZCPfAIqkiMw

Last edited:

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
Nice robbie, DV sounds pretty good to me. Have to say the frankenturbo kit looks awesome. If I was going for k04 hybrid then the f23 would be my choice. No other turbo has had so much development. Every thing has been thought out. I love it.
The yanks are claiming 300bhp on stock manifold, that's the same as the full fat cr units made on stock manifolds , for Example Wellys.
Enjoying the update, awesome car

slappy_dunbar

FrankenTurbo
Sep 1, 2009
www.frankenturbo.com
If you've got any doubts about that DV, Robbie, be rid of it. I'm not at all married to the "Diverterinator". It's just a valve ...with a great name. And it's got a particular voice. If you don't care for it, swap in anything else. Whatever you run won't impact performance.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Is this an inserted hotside (to manifold) or CN one..
CN ones have the wg penny drop.

CN one????

@ Doug, DV noise is a personal preference, i like stealth, loads of lads looking for loud DV's on here, so the Diverterinator will be up to the job, i'm gonna leave it on for a bit, makes me fell young again.

Last edited:

godzuki

Mk2 cupra & golf mk2 20vt
Sep 11, 2006
Newcastle upon tyne
So whats the throttle/lag like then compared to a std item? (I understand its not going to be as good mind)
I really fancy one of these,just checking before I part with the £££££

slappy_dunbar

FrankenTurbo
Sep 1, 2009
www.frankenturbo.com
CN one????

I believe the pictured housing is Chinese. Not that there's a fault in that. Hehe. But sometimes those guys overseas don't get the wastegate bushing seated right, causing it to come free of the turbine casting. After seeing this happen often enough ourselves we've taken to welding the bushing into place.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I believe the pictured housing is Chinese. Not that there's a fault in that. Hehe. But sometimes those guys overseas don't get the wastegate bushing seated right, causing it to come free of the turbine casting. After seeing this happen often enough ourselves we've taken to welding the bushing into place.

Liking the way you minimise the possibility of things going wrong. Japanese quality control is very similar in that they manufacture parts that can only be fitted the correct way around and bearings etc will only fit one component and can't be fitted incorrectly to anything else.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Righto Ladies,

I have been tinkering all week with the engine bay, re-routing pipes, remove the DV relocation BS, checking connections etc... i have done everything but a full boost leak test, but i am pretty confident she's fairly tight. ;)

I still haven't had a remap, i am just using the MBC to cap boost at 23/24psi.
I am really liking this turbo, you are on the power so quick and it just gets better on the top end, it holds boost soooo well, the power delivery with it is very constant, i also got a new MAF to make sure everything was reading right(it was, waste of money lol)

Here are some graphs, i got lazy and started to use ECUxPlot for the csv files, it works nice, i cannot post up the NefMoto logs as they wont fit but if anyone whats them just email me robbierolex @ gmail.com

Interesting to note, i am running 95 oct petrol with only water injection an getting a heatly 17* timing on the top end, meth + water an i can get this up to 23*.

Enjoy

Last edited:

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Its all looking very good. i was going to comment on the relatively low top end timing advance but the fact its water only is pretty good. Your egts are nice and low too. maff logs are a little low but as we all know they mean very little and are only an indication. The butt dyno is where its at and if that says yes then its all good. A new map will bring the full potential out of this beast.

underpressure

Jan 12, 2012
Germany
The F23 compressor wheel looks huge in a K04. Do you measure the OD of the wheel?
I know a OEM BorgWarner compressor wheel with your inducer datas (49,5mm) but for the K04 it's oversized. It's a cast wheel right?

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
The F23 compressor wheel looks huge in a K04. Do you measure the OD of the wheel?
I know a OEM BorgWarner compressor wheel with your inducer datas (49,5mm) but for the K04 it's oversized. It's a cast wheel right?

Its a cast wheel, the actual verified dimensions of the F23 inducer are the same as the 2283 but the F23 has a bigger exducer, 58 vs the 2283 56.

So to round off. Inducer/exducer size.

F23 = 46/58
2283 = 46/56

slappy_dunbar

FrankenTurbo
Sep 1, 2009
www.frankenturbo.com
That's about right. For those of you who enjoy interpreting BorgWarner nomenclature, the F23 is a 2380 to the K04's 2283. So while BW doesn't produce a 2380 wheel, I like to adhere to their naming conventions.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members