Leon Tdi 110 Running rough

Mobo

Jan 20, 2010
West midlands
my Leon which runs fine most the time occasionally would be really rough for a few seconds. In the middle of a journey. It has happend about 3 or 4 times in the past few months and by the time i could pull over it is fine.
What could be causing this
any help would be appreciated

How do i move this to the normal tdi section

Last edited:

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
It would be a good idea to get the ecu read to check for errors that could be present without the check light coming on in the instrument panel.

There are a couple of things that would cause it depending on mileage and quality of service history. The turbo sensor underneath the screen wash container was a strong contender for myself to cause rough running.

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Stick decent fuel in too and avoid supermarket stuff, new fuel filter, air filter etc. If you've been using cheap fuel for a while it might be worth trying some diesel purge through it, lubro molly diesel purge.

Mobo

Jan 20, 2010
West midlands
got it scanned and came up with
1 Fault Found:
17965 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation
P1557 - 35- 10 -

But thats to do with the turbo so doesnt explain why it is going all lumpy for a few seconds every now and then

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Don't know either, some tdi's seem to run rough if there's a boost issue. Mine didn't but I have read of it on the tdi club.

The thing is to just deal with that one then you can rule it in or out, it needs dealt with anyway. Most common cause is sticking turbo vanes, google Mr Muscle turbo clean. It's not the best clean but it does work and can last a long time. Leaving it over boosting can damage the turbo.

Mobo

Jan 20, 2010
West midlands
I gave the turbo a clean last year and was fine for a few months. but one day i decided to do some towing and since then it hasnt sounded right and does keep going into limp mode. But i think its running rough due to something unrelated to the turbo as it has only happend about 3-4 times in the past couple of month

Mobo

Jan 20, 2010
West midlands
I did the mr muscle method twice over a month to make sure it worked and they acurator still moves freely
Ill try the grease tonight

Mobo

Jan 20, 2010
West midlands
I got some grease from maplins (should have read it properly) and ive cleaned the maf and it has made a difference as it also had a problem where it would make a scraping noise and on acceleration some times. but this is now alot less frequent.

When cleaning the maf i noticed 2 metal pins inside are abit of a golden/orange colour and on another maf i had lying around are silver.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
You'll find that a genuine MAF with 2 year warranty isn't that much more expensive than a non genuine item, you'll get the right one and rarely have issues.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.