Clutch Release Bearing

trigmk2

Dec 22, 2012
Hi all,

I have had a search through the forum and have read a couple of threads but was after some concise information as there was confusion between CRB's and something else.

I have narrowed down to the clutch release bearing, as it goes away when the clutch is depressed. It seems to have got a bit worse recently (though that may be down to fitting a stiffer dog-bone mount).

I spoke to my local garage and they have quoted me about £800 for the dual-mass flywheel, clutch kit and 5-6 hours labour. He mentioned that he also looked for a single mass flywheel but couldn't find a supplier, something I had already thought about.

I would leave this for a bit longer but I am going to the Nurburgring in July and obviously want it sorted before then...

What do you think is my best course of action and does anyone know a better place to source parts?

Cheers,

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Well that sounds expensive to me.
Labour circa £200 to remove and refitt.
New sachs dual mass circa and clutch kit £295.
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co....ed-02m-dual-mass-flywheel-and-clutch-kit.html
All for tdi, petrol cant be much different?
I recall my uprated organic sachs unit with new DMF inc fitting was less than £700 back in 2008 TDI).
If your car isnt seriously modded whats the need for SMF?
My leon TDI had 225hp and 410lbft on dual mass with no issues.

Last edited:

trigmk2

Dec 22, 2012
Sorry, I should have said; it's a '55 Leon Cupra R (BAM 225).

At current it is standard. Would be looking in future to fit an exhaust, intake and Stage 1 so can't see it needing anything particularly heavy duty as it should only see about 270bhp and maybe 300 lbft.

trigmk2

Dec 22, 2012
Check out the Valeo single mass conversion..........

Fitted mine about 8 weeks ago. Seems great so far, Cost me £345

Where did you get it from?

@glynnd: They are renowned for failing and I cannot be bothered with the hassle.

Having read though a lot of forum posts, spoken to my local garage and another 1.8T owner I have come to the conclusion that I am going to need an uprated clutch (probably an organic from Awesome) and a SMF conversion as the DMF keep failing.

Does anyone have any advice on what other brands work well and where to get the parts?

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Where did you get it from?

@glynnd: They are renowned for failing and I cannot be bothered with the hassle.

Having read though a lot of forum posts, spoken to my local garage and another 1.8T owner I have come to the conclusion that I am going to need an uprated clutch (probably an organic from Awesome) and a SMF conversion as the DMF keep failing.

Does anyone have any advice on what other brands work well and where to get the parts?

My 20vt is on 130k and original clutch and DMF.
Renounded for failing?
Depends how they are driven. Typically if mapped and asked to boost hard in higher gears at low speeds...
They will.

trigmk2

Dec 22, 2012
Mine is as you said, not heavily modded, and at 80k the CRB is going/gone.
Been told by my local garage that he has never removed and re-fitted the same DMF, even their loan car was changed from a DMF to a SMF.

It is likely that the car will see a couple of track days so I want to know it can stand some punishment.

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
I would agree with your mechanic. Absolutely pointless in refitting a previously fitted DMF. But then everybody else would agree too!!

trigmk2

Dec 22, 2012
See that's the kind of thing that get me is that it HAS to be replaced with every clutch change, just seems counter productive to me. However, I've spent most of the evening trawling this and other forums, searching google and linked sites but not found a SMF that is suitable for my purpose (i.e. not race) or "reasonably affordable".

I'm swaying towards the Helix Clutch kit from Awesome and an OEM DMF. Does that sound sensible? Seen the LUK and Sachs clutches on EuroCarParts and they are significantly cheaper, though I guess they are more comparible to OEM and wont last long when the power output is upped.

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
See that's the kind of thing that get me is that it HAS to be replaced with every clutch change, just seems counter productive to me. However, I've spent most of the evening trawling this and other forums, searching google and linked sites but not found a SMF that is suitable for my purpose (i.e. not race) or "reasonably affordable".

I'm swaying towards the Helix Clutch kit from Awesome and an OEM DMF. Does that sound sensible? Seen the LUK and Sachs clutches on EuroCarParts and they are significantly cheaper, though I guess they are more comparible to OEM and wont last long when the power output is upped.

Well I went for the sachs organic plate, cover and release bearing and fitted a new OEM DMF at the same time. Didnt have any issues at all and as mentioned earlier running 400lbft.
Stay away from LUK and go Sachs.

trigmk2

Dec 22, 2012
Took the car in first thing this morning. Walked of down the town to go to the bank.

Got a call 10 minutes later from the garage saying he's glad he took it for a drive, it was no longer just the CRB that was making the noise, apparently the top shaft(?) bearing is gone and has started to eat the casing.

Gearbox has gone off today to be rebuilt leaving me with no car for at least 4 days and a 12 mile journey to work I can't make.

Daz8161

Daz
Mar 9, 2005
Belfast
What were the symptoms mate? Mines making a noise like a whirring chattery noise when the clutch pedal is pressed down half way but goes away at the top and bottom of the pedal travel. Was yours only making a noise when the clutch pedal wasnt pushed in?

trigmk2

Dec 22, 2012
What were the symptoms mate? Mines making a noise like a whirring chattery noise when the clutch pedal is pressed down half way but goes away at the top and bottom of the pedal travel. Was yours only making a noise when the clutch pedal wasnt pushed in?

Mine was vibrating and rattling from about 3 months after I bought it, started out as quite a subtle noise when the clutch was engaged in neutral. It then got a bit louder and made it sound like a diesel on idle. Last month its been rattling and almost a grinding noise whilst applying any amount of throttle.

I did take it in mid-April but yesterday was the soonest day the garage could actually do, obviously made the problem a hell of a lot worse as he said it was nothing serious when I first took it in.

Daz8161

Daz
Mar 9, 2005
Belfast
Ah forgot to say mines a 150 tdi, my gearbox is making some strange noises hoping its maybe just the flywheel but had a new clutch, flywheel and release bearing only 20,000 miles ago :(

trigmk2

Dec 22, 2012
Yet more bad new![:@][:@]

Just had a call to say that due to the lateral movement from the worn bearing, all of the teeth on the gears are ruined and the 'box will require a full rebuild at £900+VAT!

Anyone know where I could source a 2nd hand box in the next 2 days?

ozaudio

Aug 24, 2012
north west
Douglas Valley Breakersmore 01257 795272

i got the front wheel hub from a cupra , it also has a gearbox left , or did have. very quick delivery aswell

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.