Nasty knocking in my cupra tdi

Richyamag12

Hi to all just wanting to give a shout out to all the mk1 cupra tdi owners in hope of advice an help with a few problems I've been having of late. I purchased my 04 leon cupra tdi 150 5 months ago and hadn't had any real problems with it until I started modify a few things!! Trust me. I've got a nasty knocking coming from the passengers side that sounds like a cv or shaft but I'm not sure as the mechanic said it could be the wishbones catching on the subframe?? Anyone having this problem??

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Rear bushes on the front wishbones, bottom ball joints, track rod ends, front bushes on the front wishbones, arb links and bushes, any of that lot will give you a knock but it's fairly impossible to say which one is causing yours from here.

Richyamag12

Coilovers problems

I've ordered new wishbones and track rod ends just waiting on them to arrive. I've already replaced the drops with Jim adjustable ones an had to heat the anti roll bar bar on both sides and bend it quite abit as it was sitting tight against the shafts on both sides. Was near impossible to drive. I've got coilovers in and their nearly screwed right down. U think this is what caused most of my problems to start with. Thanks for the advice.

Richyamag12

Right I've fitted my new wishbones an track rod ends and there's still a knocking noise. It's not as bad but def still there. Do you think it could be the cv joints or drive shafts?

Richyamag12

Yea it's still knocking both sides mostly when I hit a bump or have the lock on in cornering. I'm beginning to think it is def the cv joints or drive shafts.

Richyamag12

I've ordered 2 new shafts and roll bar p bushes in hope of curing this knocking noise it's really starting to annoy now. Thanks for your help. Is anyone going to volksfling tomorrow?

BazStoke

Hi I'm a newbie having a look around. Appreciate the fact you've already ordered various parts. it sounds like you have a combination of faults. If your getting knocking going over bumps I would say it's suspension related as already mentioned. if your getting a regular knocking/ticking sound especially when cornering eg roundabouts and the rate of knocking increases/decreases with speed it would suggest the CV, but no guarantees. Good Luck.

cuprastoffs

Sep 12, 2011
Edinburgh-ish
Change the arb, jom drop links don't work.
As for heating and bending you have ruined the structural integrity and torsion of your current bar.

Octavia vrs, Audi tt and .:R bars fit.

Richyamag12

I've put new Fk coilovers wishbones track rod ends steering arms drop links I'm now looking at the arb and poly bushes. I def think the cvs or shafts are gone as I went to race a car off the lights yesterday and got that nasty knocking and vibrating thru the steering wheel when I took off.

Richyamag12

Ok I've finally figured out the problem after much heart ache an hair pulling. I took my 18s off an put the original 17s back on only to find the knocking has disappeared straight away. The back of my 18s were catching on the coilover rings a few spacers should solve this problem. Fell like such a tool! Thanks to everyone for there help and advice much appreciated.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members