Illegal Modifications - What is the Law?

MikeyTomo

Jan 12, 2013
Middlesbrough
I was driving through the city centre at around 1am, no faster than 5mph due to the amount of people that were around town and I was pulled over by the traffic police. He basically slated my car and due to me not reading up on any laws (bit stupid I know) I did not have a leg to stand on.

Here's a list of things that were 'illegal' on my car according to him:

Fly Eyes Kit all round - apparently if 1% of light is blocked they are illegal and I can receive a £30 fine per light (£120 fine)

Stretch tyres - did not have an answer as to why they are illegal 'they just are'

Exhaust without a rear silencer - said as long as it does not have a rear silencer it is illegal, no matter how quiet it is (I presumed it was a decibel test that they did) oh and if anything other than the standard box is fitted to my car, it is illegal. (£60 fine next time he sees me with that exhaust)

Coilovers/shocks 'too hard' - pushed down on my car and it didnt move much due to the coilover setup, he asked me to do the same with his car and look at the difference. This was also illegal and when questioned he replied again with 'it just is'

Front side window tints - this was the only thing illegal I believe which I received a £30 fine for. He also wanted to recover my car without the option of removing them but then allowed me to remove them around 20 minutes later

So he told me that I could be receiving a £350 bill in fines because of these but it was my 'lucky night' because he had somewhere else to go to. So only issued me with a £30 fine for the front tints which were removed at the road side. So if anyone could kindly let me know on the laws which are relevant and if I was in breach of any laws with the mods stated?

Last edited:

Dsgfr11

Mar 30, 2012
Northamptonshire
The exhaust should be legal as long as it meets the emisions test and the decibel test at mot it should be legal. Never heard the coilover one before sounds like a bit of a dik copper if you ask me.

MikeyTomo

Jan 12, 2013
Middlesbrough
It passed the emissions test on Friday and I don't believe they do a decibel test on an MOT. He just said it needs a silencer up front and one at the back, if either of these are missing (which in my case just the rear) the car is illegal.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
It passed the emissions test on Friday and I don't believe they do a decibel test on an MOT. He just said it needs a silencer up front and one at the back, if either of these are missing (which in my case just the rear) the car is illegal.

That can't be right or the likes of milltek couldn't offer non resonated systems etc.

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
Copper sounds like a bell end and taking advantage of your good nature. It appears the law is what ever they want it to be on any chosen day.

I have fly eyes, coilovers, miltek non-res. been through mot with no problems, and had a few random police pull overs, they've never mentioned it.

Last edited:

MikeyTomo

Jan 12, 2013
Middlesbrough
Copper sounds like a bell end and taking advantage of your good nature. It appears the law is what ever they want it to be on any chosen day.

I have fly eyes, coilovers, miltek non-res. been through mot with no problems, and had a few random police pull overs, they've never mentioned it.

Guess it's just luck of the draw to who you get :/ worried about this exhaust and the fine now but don't really have the time to go around getting a new one.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Guess it's just luck of the draw to who you get :/ worried about this exhaust and the fine now but don't really have the time to go around getting a new one.
You'd be mad to pay it though as it isn't true, it can only fail on noise levels, emissions or a safety hazard. How you achieve this is your business whether you have 10 silencers or 1. I would call into your local police station and ask for an independant opinion from another suitably qualified person.

MikeyTomo

Jan 12, 2013
Middlesbrough
You'd be mad to pay it though as it isn't true, it can only fail on noise levels, emissions or a safety hazard. How you achieve this is your business whether you have 10 silencers or 1. I would call into your local police station and ask for an independant opinion from another suitably qualified person.

Thanks for your advice, do you think they'll be able to give me some sort of written document to show in the event of being pulled again?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
I was pulled for my HIDs and the copper couldnt justify his reasons for pulling me, i gave him some grief about "schooling up" on his knowledge before he pulls anyone else then he jumped in his landrover and wheel spun off.

Being a vw mastertech and an mot tester certainly let me have the upperhand on this jobs worth.

Now i carry a copy of that particular page from the testing manual (section 1.7) so i can show it in the event i get pulled again.

You should never let the police bully you as i've heard many come out with pure bullsh1t when they've stopped people, stand your ground and mention you'll fight the fine, if you get one. Most of the time the prospect of lots of extra paper work will put them off giving you a fine unless you really deserve it.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Exhaust reason for rejection:
4. A silencer in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition.

Suspension (if rubbing)
b.
a suspension unit so weak that the body or other part of the vehicle fouls a road wheel or would do so if the vehicle was laden.

Tyres (at a push)
d. a tyre incorrectly seated on the wheel rim

Flyeyes
c.
obscured so that less than 50% of the lamp illuminating surface is visible from the front or rear as appropriate
d.
not visible from a reasonable distance due to excessive damage, deterioration, or having products on the lens or light source

All from the MOT manual

All he needs to do is demonstrate one item as making the car dangerous & get it towed to ruin your day.... makes you wonder why you do it.

Anyway, reference "terrorists" - I'd wager fewer people are killed by terrorists in the UK than badly modified cars each year

I'm no police lover, but if you modify your car you must know what you're letting yourself into?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
They're only doing their job at the end of the day, if you were pulled and they produced the testers manual or similiar documentation to prove their accusations it would reduce the risk of anyone protesting no end.

They should really take pictures or seize the vehicle so they could have full, justified evidence if you were willing to fight it in court.

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
I don't think they are just doing there job though. If they have a valid reason for pulling you I.e. a numberplate check shows there's a warranty for your arrest or you have a history of criminal activity, your speeding etc then they have something to go by, but to pull you over and threaten you with fines for things that they don't even know is legal or illegal isn't doing there job, there's so many other serious things that go on in this country that require police attention, so stop wasting time pulling cars cause they follow the old cleshay that a modded car means chavvy boy racer.

The example below shows talking out your arse clearly isn't doing your job correctly
Fly Eyes Kit all round - apparently if 1% of light is blocked they are illegal and I can receive a £30 fine per light (£120 fine)
Flyeyes
obscured so that less than 50% of the lamp illuminating surface is visible from the front or rear as appropriate

Last edited:

Dlp1984

Mar 3, 2013
Sidcup
I know currently around the Norfolk area there are new police stops set up to target people with modified exhausts. If they feel it is to loud they will tug you and take you to a test facility and do a Db test in and ambient Db setting and if your car is over (I think it was) 79Db then you was ordered to have your exhaust silence or risk a fine or worse your car taken and crushed.

There was a big discussion over on celica-club over the matter as a guy got pulled in his celica, he is in his later 50s and likes a nice note but not loud, his is slightly over stock sound but the test is done from 1500 rpm and tested right up to 1500rpm before redline. Apparently it can't be louder than stock at these levels. He argues that the stock level for say a Ferrari is close to 100Db stock would that be allowed and they claimed yes as it was the stock Db given to said car. He then asked what about bikes, and apparently they can't test bikes due to ambient noise.

The best part was he works at a place that use the same equipment the police used to test the Db and his wife's golf tdi was reading 81-86Db so would she get pulled? I bet not.

The best part is I always thought a cars sound was down to the tester? If they felt it was to loud they failed it? I had a tester do this to me, put a cat on the car quietened it down and he passed it (I have to admire I took the car back off after lol). If there is this stupid so called "to loud law" it needs to be implemented so people know what the setting is as just saying stock Db is like me saying my string is this long. It's all far to much of a grey area with some mods

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise