Exhaust manifold: tell tale noise?

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Hello all, It was suggested to me recently by my mechanic that my exhaust manifold was possibly cracked.

I took my car in as I was experiencing a knocking noise and the car wasn't driving as it should, this was correctly diagnosed as a snapped dog bone mount.

He said on the test drive he could hear a pffft type noise when applying the accelerator,
I could definitely hear this too on the drive home, he said it was possible that the manifold had a crack in it but I have no way of knowing for sure?

I bet this isn't an easy job, getting to and removing the manifold is bound to be hard,

Is the only way of knowing if its cracked to remove it? I have read somewhere that it s sometimes the gasket that fails but I don't know.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Many thanks 20v roper.

QU4RESMA

Apr 7, 2011
East Midlands
Hello all, It was suggested to me recently by my mechanic that my exhaust manifold was possibly cracked.

I took my car in as I was experiencing a knocking noise and the car wasn't driving as it should, this was correctly diagnosed as a snapped dog bone mount.

He said on the test drive he could hear a pffft type noise when applying the accelerator,
I could definitely hear this too on the drive home, he said it was possible that the manifold had a crack in it but I have no way of knowing for sure?

I bet this isn't an easy job, getting to and removing the manifold is bound to be hard,

Is the only way of knowing if its cracked to remove it? I have read somewhere that it s sometimes the gasket that fails but I don't know.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Many thanks 20v roper.

On my Big Turbo Golf, my manifold had warped & cracked - twice!
Both times, the noise was more of a blowing sound - it sounded like a rotten exhaust at one point. I also noticed (on cold starts) exhaust smoke blowing from the manifold up into the engine bay - have you checked for this?

Also - It wasnt boosting past 7Psi - Full boost would peak at around 26psi

Last edited:

DerbyForget

Apr 1, 2012
Burton on Trent, Staffs
you can confirm with a smoke test. with the engine running up on ramps cover the exhaust pipe and look for leaks in the exhaust system :) just don't hold the rag over the exhaust for too long. hope this helps, for reference when an engine mount goes, if its left for a while will result in cracked manifold due to the fact that the engine is moving and the manifold is still ridgid

Bert

cupraslayer

I want more bhp
Feb 8, 2008
northampton
found mine with one of those little mirrors with a long arm. Had 2 lovely cracks waving at me. As lee said could be gasket with that noise. Does the car smell of fumes?

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Hi all, thanks for the replies. I haven't done a smoke test yet, I'm hoping it's the manifold in a way, I did drive the car for longer than I should have really with the mount broken (I didn't know it was a mount but I should have really).

The motor sounded gruff and although it was boosting it did sound bad. Then the dog bone mount was fixed and I was left with this feint ticking noise brought about by use of the throttle ( the gruffness had now gone and it sounded much better with the dog bone replaced).

I just hope it's not the shells, bit worried now.

Thanks, 20v roper.

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Hi chaps, just checking if anyone knows if a mani from an Ibiza k03s will fit the Leon mk1? I presume it will as its the same turbo?

Cheers 20v roper.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.