Deisel . Engine code bxe potential problem.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The differences are so subtle that you wouldnt notice, i've fitted a couple in place of BXE engines and they are still going strong 2/3 years later.

Compression ratio - doesnt make a difference

software in the ecu - doesnt make a difference

the timing side engine mount bolts up differently and the alternator might catch on the a/c pipe at the o/s/f.

cassf1

Intresting I have checked the head and block part numbers and they match so was thinkk of only using the bace engine and reusing my ancillary's. As they are the same partnumbers the mounting points will all be exactly the same i would have thought

techie1

I fitted a bkc engine (cost £900 and about 10-12 hours relaxed work) and its done about 1000 miles now with no issues. A little bit more pokey than the bxe imo. Took the sump off and Had a good look at the bkc and it has the older 8 counterweight crank and the oil pickup is made of metal instead of plastic. They have defo tried to cut costs as far as possible and gone too far IMO. I will be avoiding the bxe and bls from now on. Good luck with your transplant.

cassf1

Techie1 thank you for your reply, Pleased to hear all went well how about the ECU was there any work needed? I think we all know about the cost cutting i see this everyday.

Did you reuse all your parts and only buy the bare engine (long block)

techie1

Used the tandem pump and all brackets and ancillaries off the original engine. Had to change the timing belt cover as the engine mount bracket was different. Left ecu as it is. Tried to get all new gaskets from seat at wolves but they were very unhelpful even though I have them all the part numbers and insisted I paid for them in person before they would order. I was willing to pay over the phone but not to drive 40 miles to pay and another 40 miles to collect THREE days later. Instead I used a vw dealer in telford and he got me them next morning 9 o clock and I paid when I picked them up. Due to their good service I ended up buying a further £50 worth of stuff while I was there.

Ivor Bigtruck

BLS engine failed in my VW Caddy about 6 weeks ago. Hole in block, broken con rod, all at very low revs and under light throttle as I pulled away from a junction.

Now the strange thing, in the few seconds prior to the engine misfire, as I tried to find a safe place to stop, I could hear inside the engine. My initial thought was that the oil filter had worked loose. The only place this noise could have come from was the hole in the block, but the engine still ran smoothly for a few seconds before the misfire. It couldn't have done this with a broken con rod! So, what initially punched the hole in the block and then caused the conrod to snap?

The engine was replaced by the dealer I bought the van from, so unfortunately I have no access to the knackered engine. I now live in dread of the same happening to the new lump! The replacement has apparently done about 40k miles, the old engine had covered 131k miles

Really interesting to read your educated report and opinions both Viking and Techie1. Hope your new engine is behaving and gives good, trouble free service for many miles.

Last edited by a moderator:

manji

Sep 19, 2010
Portugal
Hi all,

I apologize for digging this thread up, but does any one know if I can use the conrod bearing shells from another 1.9 TDI on the BXE engine? The 130hp or 150hp versions?

Thanks!

Mujnu

i was just reading around when i came across this whole situation with BXE engines, how do you know if you have a BXE engine? And/or what year did they start using these engines in the A3 1.9tdi? :help:

and im guessing the BLS coded engines give problems too? just to clarify

thanks in advance lads ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

manji

Sep 19, 2010
Portugal
Basically, you should check and change the bearings' shells near the 100 000 km mark, specially the upper one. And even more so if you engine was made in 2007/2008/2009. Most cases are in the 2008 year, I believe.
It's a pretty cheap operation vs. buying a whole engine. The parts cost around 150EUR incl VAT + labor. (this price is for OEM PD150 bolts + OEM BXE shells).
Don't do LongLife services! :)

MJ56GAS

Jul 11, 2015
Hi peoples. Im new to forums so you'll have to excuse the fact in in a seat forum asking about a vw but saw the problem and i have something similar. i have a vw caddy with a bls engine where the crank has actually snapped. I have stripped it down and cant see any other obvious signs of damage. Im going to change the crank, just wondering what others will fit. From what i understand the bls engine and bxe engine run the same crank. Just wondering what all the other letters/numbers on the crank mean? 038L AC5 IT ED 29? Any help appreciated

mike221

Sep 1, 2015
Hello guys. Sorry for digging up an old thread but I'm in need of some assistance. Found this thread about swapping a BXE engine with a BKC as my precious BXE engine decided to throw a conrod through the block last week. The car is a VW Passat and it has only done 106k miles. I'm considering swapping it for a BKC but I'm not sure what mods need to be made in order to fit it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. MJ, you were saying about changing the timing belt cover. Do you know if that would be necessary on a Passat and if so where could I get one? Thank you!

Rob.wood9

Aug 18, 2014
I have one more to add to the ever longer list of failed BXE 1.9 engines, my 2008 altea xl, just pulling off a roundabout 2nd gear, low revs, and bang, engine stops. Wife try's to start the car and nothing. Long story short the #1 con rod decided to exit the block,[:@] only got 93k on the clock! All ways serviced of time (normally seat main dealer). Got towed to my local dealer for them to have a little look see!, quoted around 5k to fit new engine (can't afford that) cars only worth 2500-3000 so looking for a second hand bkc lump instead! Any advice greatly recieved

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.