Oh my god its dead

bensaud

Here for the ride
May 26, 2001
Cambridge
Well the car is definatley a total loss £5000 to repair at the garage.
I have been given the authority to move the car to my house and the option to buy it back for about 10% of the value once they decide what that is.

Now should I buy it back and get it repaired myself, I know a garage that can jig replace main parts and paint the car so it will be a case of buying some secondhand bits like tailgate and lights etc.

Or should I break the car and try to get some money back from the bits?

The engine and gearbox must be worth more than 10% of the value themselves

Am I mad???????

:whistle:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
2000 plate cupra won't be worth more than about 4k (make it look skanky if you can :))

so they'll offer you bottom book anyway, take your excess & 10% off & it's yours

Take the engine, box, loom, clocks & locks - that alone is £1000 easy.

bensaud

Here for the ride
May 26, 2001
Cambridge
I found one very local to me for £5500 so I hope they offer me more than 4K :(

I hope to get excess back as third party has admitted liablilty :)

platinumFR

Feb 2, 2006
manchester
If you have the time and space to break then its a must do! Little things like wing mirrors and quote me if im wrong but airbags are a biggie if they were not activated. your sure to get money back and alot extra!

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it's not worth bothering for all the bits, just the saleable stuff. if you can keep it rolling then it can be collected & removed for free normally

bensaud

Here for the ride
May 26, 2001
Cambridge
Here are a couple of shots, it doesn't look to pretty but its home now :D just got to decide what to do with it........

100_1200.jpg

100_1198.jpg

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
if you really wanted the car, you could fix that easily enough... assuming the panels are still readily available....

but I think it'd be worth a lot more in parts to you (and that'd subsidise a replacement)

two quarter panels & a boot floor (obviously) for the structural bits....

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I hope your claiming for whip-lash injuries, i bet you have a sore neck and back. Its his fault, he drove into the back of you.

What you lose on the car, you might make some of it back in injuries compensation. Got to be worth a shot.

Goto A&E and get yourself checked out, if you have logged a visit with a hospital it all goes in your favour.
If i ever seen suggestion based reading :)

"my god your back must hurt" haha!

bensaud

Here for the ride
May 26, 2001
Cambridge
I've got a perfect rear bumper in imperial blue in my loft ;) Got a front one too :p

How about a boot lid and side panels [B)]

I have got my mums N reg Ibiza at my house at the moement might have to go outside with a tape measure and see what might fit from the Leon :)

Seriously though I might be interested in that rear bumper :funk:

andycupra

status subject to change
2000 plate cupra won't be worth more than about 4k (make it look skanky if you can :))
not sure i agree with making it look skanky. making it skanky may mean you pay less in terms of the 10% but you will get less of a payout.
Any increase in the value will mean you fork out just £1 more for every £10 increase in value. Thats £9 for each of your £1's..
unless you are worried they dont write it off if the value is higher.
but at £4,000 repair they will. and besides you wil be haggling over the price after they have decided to write it off..

bensaud

Here for the ride
May 26, 2001
Cambridge
Hi guy's, I really can not believe this was so long ago!!!!

I sold the car in the end as I was given an offer I couldn't refuse :)

I ended up buying a Leon TDi 130, best thing I ever did :)

dannyCworth

Sarcasm is lost in print.
Apr 13, 2013
Milton Keynes
haha as i was reading this i did think to my self "what tool has resurrected a 6 year old thread".

Glad to hear all was good in the end. Did you break the motor?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise