ESP light MOT fail G201

adiniwasi

Hello,

I left my 07 Cupra TFSI in for a service (Seat (Arnold Shark) minor) and MOT and it failed on account of the ESP light being on constantly. They ran a diagnostic and it came back with G201 fault. They said that I need a new ABS control unit for nearly £1000!! or they can do a repair kit for £350.

Can anyone shed some light on this??! I know that this can be an issue, but very often it's an easy fix, right?

What are the options of what it could be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

adiniwasi

Cheers guys. I saw the thread below and phoned up SEAT UK. G201 is covered apparently. So i'll hopefully get it done for free and have the dealership wrapped on the knuckles.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Yes it should be covered under goodwill. Its a hugely common problem and doesn't just affect the Leon but nearly all Golf MK5 chassis vehicles with ESP. Its only this year that its become an MOT failure.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I also had mine done recently FOC by Seat. The repair part is about £175 from TPS. Then you'd have to pay for fitment if you took it to an independant or nowt if you were handy with a spanner :)

Try Seat UK first and then book it into the nearest dealer on their say so. The french electronic module that fails is fitted to other marques such as BMW's etc.. and is a common failure.

Perhaps a recall *should* have been issued (though while its safety related, it's unlikely to actually cause an accident), but the cars have not been recalled for this. If you look at the actual recalls for the 1P Leon, they all have the potential to cause an accident, whereas loss of ESP and ABS would only cause an accident if you were already driving beyond sensible limits.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I think they'll only repair under goodwill with a full dealer history.

Nope.
I have a family member that had this G201 fault fixed for free at a Seat dealer and their car has no dealer service history at all.

The dealer wasn't aware of the good will thing but printing off the thread in question and showing them the info did the trick.

9designs

Sep 21, 2002
Rugby
Visit site
Had my 07 plate fixed last year at the main stealer using the repair kit..... Has full main dealer history, response from SEAT was they pay a percentage based I believe the age/mileage of the car... So I got a discount but still had to pay towards it.... It was in for major service anyway so the dealer was also able to reduce the labour charge further.
If it's now become an MOT failure perhaps SEAT will need to be, or have become more generous ?

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
replaced litterally hundreds of these faulty units when the fault first appeared, the repair kit used to be as little as £120 and took little over and hour to complete the job.

When we were offering the repair dealers still stipulated they replaced the whole abs pump rather than just the hyraulic unit that holds the pressure sensor.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
Would somebody be kind enough to pint me to this thread or a more official statement re G201 FOC replacement. Just to avoid any unpleasant scenes in the dealer on Monday :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.