Boca Emission Control Light

miketurner

A few weeks ago my 11 plate Ibiza Boca started showing a flashing Emission Control Warning light but would go off a few seconds later. Then it got worse and everytime I put my foot down both the EPC and the Emission lights would go on and it would go into limp mode. Would have to turn the engine off and on to reset it.

Took it back to the dealers first time and they changed the spark plugs but the problem didn't go away.

2nd time they applied software updates and told me it was fixed and it seemed to be initially. Flooring it didn't reproduce the issue, but when driving at low speeds (10mph) it started to misfire at felt as if it was going to cut out and same at idle. The emission control light started flashing at this point again and then after a few more drives on the weekend it stayed on constantly.

Now it's back with the dealer again for its 3rd visit. The dealer doesn't seem to know whats causing it and reckons it will be with them for a few days this time round to see if they can figure it out while I'm stuck with a lovely Suzuki Swift again! :cry:

Apr 9, 2009
It's the dreaded misfire issue by the sounds of it. New coil packs, uprated spark plugs, and reflash to the latest software with all learned traits reset should hopefully see you right.

I doubt very much that the dealer doesn't know whats causing it lol

miketurner

Thanks for the reply Splinter. Just a bit annoying that I've had to take it in 3 times now, when the problem has been pretty evident as soon as I got the car back each time (around 6pm when they close). And it's 100 miles of fuel each day I need to take it in.

Let's hope this time they will sort it for good. Will keep posted on the result!

LJA

Oct 8, 2010
Derbyshire
MInes had exactly the same thing,

I had a split in the Bore apparently.

They sorted it, New plugs were added too along with the latest software.

Touchwood, its been fine for 2 days.

miketurner

So the car went in last Monday (after the 2 previous attempts) and I didn't hear anything from the Garage until late on Friday afternoon. Just a quick phone call to say they haven't fixed it, it looks to be an 'internal engine issue maybe with the oil or fuel' and they have had to refer it to Seat technical.

I wonder how long this is going to take...:shrug:

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Hi,

Had exactly the same symptoms with our Cupra and thought was heading down the route of new plugs, packs and ECU update. Car went in and had the ECU update (no change), then back in and after a few days a new MAP sensor (Manifold Air Pressure) fixed the problem, a couple of weeks ago now. SEAT Technical came up with the solution, hopefully they will with yours too.

A good 160 mile drive at the weekend using full throttle, Sport mode, etc. chasing a GT-R at one time (OK - trying to keep up with), and it all seems OK now (touch wood).

AL90

Dec 14, 2011
Sheffield
Hi,

Had exactly the same symptoms with our Cupra and thought was heading down the route of new plugs, packs and ECU update. Car went in and had the ECU update (no change), then back in and after a few days a new MAP sensor (Manifold Air Pressure) fixed the problem, a couple of weeks ago now. SEAT Technical came up with the solution, hopefully they will with yours too.

A good 160 mile drive at the weekend using full throttle, Sport mode, etc. chasing a GT-R at one time (OK - trying to keep up with), and it all seems OK now (touch wood).

glad to hear its going well mate
replacing the map sensor to cure the problem is defiantly something new to me, but if it works then.... great. :)

anyone else heard of this curing it?

miketurner

So many weeks later the car is still with the Dealers in Northampton. They say that they have stripped down the engine after getting the go ahead from Seat and found a large carbon buildup on the valves.

It's been referred back with Seat Technical since Tuesday to get advice on next steps which seems likely to be a cylinder head rebuild and then an investigation to see if they can figure out what has caused the buildup as they don't seem to have any idea... :(

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Seems I spoke too soon (on 21st), took the car for a spin up the motorway to work on Monday and at around 75mph while on cruise control came across a slight incline, it changed down into 6th (odd, I thought, never done that before) and misfired and off we went again, emissions and ECP lit up my day. :cry:

So it's back in the Dealers for them to have another go. :confused:

It had the (or a) MAP Sensor changed last time, but a sensor doesn't 'do' anything other than report data, so 'How does it get faulty?' I guess is the question. Is it clogged up with carbon (assuming exhaust manifold air / absolute pressure)? :shrug:

I still think it uses way too much fuel (31mpg over 5K miles mainly town / 40 / 50mph A roads and the odd 75-80 on the motorway), I know it's never going to get near the 48mpg EU figure, and the exhaust and surround are sooty and black like a diesels.

In the good old days you could tell the tune of a car by the exhaust being a nice dark grey, black meant too rich - but that was in the era of carburetors and a screwdriver, is that still the rule of thumb these days? :shrug:

heisenberg

The nice dark grey was from the lead in petrol so don't think you will get that any more.

miketurner

Dashnine have you heard anything more on your car?

I've just heard back from the dealers and they have now had authorisation from Seat to replace the Cylinder Head so just waiting for parts which have been expedited. Should know more by mid-next week which is there target to do it by.

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
A few weeks ago my 11 plate Ibiza Boca started showing a flashing Emission Control Warning light but would go off a few seconds later. Then it got worse and everytime I put my foot down both the EPC and the Emission lights would go on and it would go into limp mode. Would have to turn the engine off and on to reset it.

Took it back to the dealers first time and they changed the spark plugs but the problem didn't go away.

2nd time they applied software updates and told me it was fixed and it seemed to be initially. Flooring it didn't reproduce the issue, but when driving at low speeds (10mph) it started to misfire at felt as if it was going to cut out and same at idle. The emission control light started flashing at this point again and then after a few more drives on the weekend it stayed on constantly.

Now it's back with the dealer again for its 3rd visit. The dealer doesn't seem to know whats causing it and reckons it will be with them for a few days this time round to see if they can figure it out while I'm stuck with a lovely Suzuki Swift again! :cry:

I have everything the same as above...

Will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how everyone gets on.

Mines into the garage on the 27th (going on holiday before they had space to get me in). Will keep this thread up to date with what happens.

Side note - Has anyone else had bad experiences of saying to a dealer "I've done some research on forum's and it seems lots of people are having the same problem, it seems to be the same problem - which is...."
Everytime i do this, the dealer gets really upset even though every problem I've had with my car has been the same symptoms/issue/fix as what I've read online...
Where am i going with this... The above issue, how have people presented it to the dealer and have you referenced the forums and other drivers?

Last edited:

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I've just heard back from the dealers and they have now had authorisation from Seat to replace the Cylinder Head so just waiting for parts which have been expedited. Should know more by mid-next week which is there target to do it by.

The cylinder head is a symptom of your problem not the cause. It is good that they are replacing it but you need to keep the pressure on the dealer to find what is causing this. Otherwise in time you will end up right back where you started.

miketurner

Alex - Personally for me, no I haven't mentioned anything from the forums. I've had similar treatment in the past when mentioning things like this and tend to get fobbed off, but as the issue has been referred to Seat themselves from the Dealer I'm sure they are well aware of the general issue (but no solution it seems).

Biker - Yes, I know. I guess for me, this is a company car which I've had for 2 years now and have another 2 years left on it, so if replacing the cylinder head stops it from recurring within the next 2 years I'm not too concerned, although I agree entirely with you. Not sure what more they can do though :(

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Mike - Reckon I'm in a similar boat to you, Seat have OK'd cylinder head removal and Workshop Guru reckons either coked valves or shot piston rings and thinks (or hopes) its likely a new engine, waiting to hear end of week. :D

Biker - agreed, head replacement is a symptom, as is a new engine with the same ancillaries as before, but if oil issue causes misfire and new engine has revised rings, maybe it's a step forward.

Alex - I have tried mentioning the 'well known Cupra problems all over the Internet' but get a distinct lack of interest, even mentioning black, sooty exhaust and poor fuel and oil consumption is met with distinct disinterest. Don't think anything counts unless it's in the ECU log and Seat will agree to pay. I have a friend who's a Ford DP, he hated the 'Forum quoters' until he found he could get a free replacement Sky box via the same route! :confused:

Bobanegra

Oct 15, 2010
Stirling
Side note - Has anyone else had bad experiences of saying to a dealer "I've done some research on forum's and it seems lots of people are having the same problem, it seems to be the same problem - which is...."
Everytime i do this, the dealer gets really upset even though every problem I've had with my car has been the same symptoms/issue/fix as what I've read online...
Where am i going with this... The above issue, how have people presented it to the dealer and have you referenced the forums and other drivers?

I even took print outs, part numbers etc and all the 'Head Technician' did was wobble the turbo and said "I've been doing this for 15 years and never heard of such a thing"

Aye because the 1.4 TSI has been about for 15 years you fat tube :censored:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.