Coolant leak:loss from coolant t s ?

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Hi everyone, went out to my leon and just noticed it's got a leak from the clip area on the coolant sensor at least that's what I think ?

Does it sound viable that this sensor is failing and loosing coolant in this manner? I don't think there is a hole in any of the hoses in this area.

I have lost enough coolant overnight for the level to drop in the expansion tank.

Any help would be great as I need this sorting quickly if possible!

Cheers 20vroper

d4ns

Nov 10, 2012
Highly possible. Will leak from here if the o-ring around the sensor is dead. Very easy DIY job. Buy a genuine sensor and it will come with the o-ring. About £10 or less iirc. Remove pressure after engines cooled by undoing the expansion tank cap, remove clip from sensor with a cloth over the top as it may still be under pressure. Pull out sensor, fit other straight back in to minimise loss. Fit new clip it was supplied with. Job done. 5 mins maximum. :)

Dan

Last edited:

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Excellent thanks very much! I was going to go to gsf in the morning but may now go to seat dealer instead!

I'm not sure which coolant is in at the moment, it's pink in colour so could be the vw stuff? I'll top it up as needed as Im sure i won't be able to swap them over quickly enough!

Thanks v much, 20vroper.

nath86

Mar 23, 2013
Newquay, cornwall
Highly possible. Will leak from here if the o-ring around the sensor is dead. Very easy DIY job. Buy a genuine sensor and it will come with the o-ring. About £10 or less iirc. Remove pressure after engines cooled by undoing the expansion tank cap, remove clip from sensor with a cloth over the top as it may still be under pressure. Pull out sensor, fit other straight back in to minimise loss. Fit new clip it was supplied with. Job done. 5 mins maximum. :)

Dan

I have noticed the same leak on mine but only small. Would i not be able to replace just the O ring with an appropriate one? Also had a leak from the pipe below the temp sensor just waiting on that to arrive and be fitted .

cuprablack

I think its G40 engine coolant in the 1.8t vag. Also check your radiator fan is working, as it can be fine when driving and in traffic, but when you turn the engine off the heat of the engine can boil the water causing it to expand out of the overflow. I would say a few drips from a perished pipe would not cause it to drop below the water level over night.

Cam.

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Hi mate, it was slowly pouring out from the cts and or the elbow joint beneath it. It lost enough coolant to
Take the level below the min line by a bit.

I've been and bought a cts from GSF, it was the dearer of the two on offer there. I've fitted it today before work but it didn't go to plan.
I got a new o ring with the new cts, but I lost the clip in the engine bay at first! Found it and after a few attempts at seating the cts in the housing (new o ring was making it sit quite high), finally got the clip to hold the new cts in place.
But the system started leaking (car hadn't been turned on at all ), from the various smaller hoses around the cts !

Time for work so I had to abandon my repair. What a pain in the ass.