Mk3 and cancelling SEAT finance

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
Well, finally got through after another 35min hold but as previous posters have said, the lady I spoke to was very polite and helpful. She also confirmed that the 3 year free servicing is valid no matter when you pay off the finance (and is transferable) despite what the Seat salesman told me.

pubsinger

Jan 18, 2007
Phone number I used is 01908 485000, number for VAG finance, answered immediately although I think they're Mon-Thur 09:00-17:00 only.

Asked to be put through to Seat finance but was told they're all the same group and dealt with me there and then....piece of cake. Cancelled finance, letter came in the post a couple of days later confirming cancellation and the balance to pay, called back on the same number and paid with a debit card - done!

All the best

Pub

McDubber1

Jun 29, 2007
East Lothian
I'm a little confused. Are all you guys taking the finance out to get the discount and then paying the finance off in full so that the car is then yours or is there another way of financing it thats cheaper again? If that's what your doing it must be nice to be in that situation:blink: If I buy one it will be on finance unfortunately. I'm just waiting to get my quotes back from the dealer through DTD!!

pubsinger

Jan 18, 2007
I'm a little confused. Are all you guys taking the finance out to get the discount and then paying the finance off in full so that the car is then yours or is there another way of financing it thats cheaper again? If that's what your doing it must be nice to be in that situation:blink: If I buy one it will be on finance unfortunately. I'm just waiting to get my quotes back from the dealer through DTD!!

IIRC Seat are offering finance at 7.9%APR with a maximum deposit of (I think) 30%. So take out Seat finance for which you'd get £1000 contribution towards the cost of the car and 3 years free servicing.

I would've had about £14,500 to finance, it would've cost me £400 per month and there would have been a final payment of a few grand, although I would've had enough change from the deal to cover that (if I could have kept my hands off it) as they offered £8,700 trade-in on the old Leon. You get the change back in the form of a cheque.

While you're waiting for the car to be delivered do your sums and arrange a loan elsewhere, I went for a Sainsbury's loan @ 5.0%APR.

You sign all the finance agreements on the day you take delivery of the car, call VAG finance within a fortnight (cooling off period) and cancel. There will be a small amount of interest to pay, a letter will come through confirming cancellation and the settlement figure.

I'm now paying £344 per month on a £11,500 loan with of course no final payment.

I'm pretty sure they've tightened up on this reagarding keeping the £1,000 and servicing if cancelling, you'd need to check with your dealer. Have to hand it to the salesman at my dealer, it was he who put me onto this.

All the best

Pub

McDubber1

Jun 29, 2007
East Lothian
Thanks for clearing that up, I did kind of think some people would be financing it in other ways. I've not really done my sums yet as I'm still waiting on figures from the dealer and still to get a test drive aswell which is happening this weekend.

It would be nice to be able to just pay cash for it though lol

welshy67

It was mentioned here that the free servicing deal had finished. Whilst this is true you can still get it. I ordered my car March 10th and it arrived 15th June. I telephoned Seat Customer Service and they confirmed that because I ordered whilst the free servicing offer was on (as well as the £1000 offer) the dealer had to honour it. This is still true even though I didn't take out a finance agreement until the day I picked up the car (15th June).

I also cancelled my finance yesterday within the 14 days and paid the balance in full. It cost be £27 in interest.

TIMBUCK2

Hi all,

I've been following this forum for a few weeks now, and this thread in particular, and have decided to jump on board as I've finally decided that I definitely want the mk3 Leon FR (1.4 TSi).

This post is really aimed at everyone who's placed an order through drivethedeal.com - Starbucks78, I know from your posts that you went down this route and you seem pleased you did. Much like yourself, I save approx. £3k if I go down the PCP route and I intend to then cancel the finance in the first 14 days and pay off the balance, again much like yourself.

I contacted drivethedeal earlier this week to set the ball rolling and they phoned me back the following day to verify the order. I've just got a few questions on this process:

1) How long was it between drivethedeal calling you back and the dealer getting in touch ?
2) What was the dealers attitude like or were you treated as a 2nd class citizen, so to speak ?
3) Was the car delivered anywhere close to the estimated delivery dates you were initially quoted by drivethedeal ? They're currently stating 12-14 weeks.
4) On the PCP side of things, other than an arrangement fee of £125 and a few days interest, were there any other payments to make before you cancelled the finance ?​

Sorry if too many questions but any help appreciated as I've not been down this route before and have some doubts that it's this simple to save £3k !!

Best regards,
Tim

Starbucks78

Oct 7, 2009
Hi Tim,

Like you I was all a bit sceptical of the process but it really was pain free.

From memory I think I placed my order with Drive the Deal on a Monday pm and received the dealer call on the Thursday am. I was getting a little impatient as was quoted 48 hours and a little nervous about the process. But the call came just half a day late which is not too bad at all really.

As far as customer treatment goes I can honestly say I had a far better experience than being face to face with a dealer. May sound strange but very true, was happy to take a call and answer all questions, even responded to an email I sent whilst he was on holiday!

I was quoted 8-12 weeks and could have taken delivery at 10 weeks and a day, but due to work commitments and the Finance stuff I pushed it back 2 more days. They were very good though and delivered the car on the day of my choice.

When I cancelled my PCP I only paid a few days interest, the arrangement fee was not even mentioned!

Hope that helps,

Steve.

Jun 15, 2013
Bought mine from Carfile.com. Like Drive the Deal they are one of the well respected brokers than do not take a penny from the customer but unlike Drive the Deal their dealers are happy to do PX's.

Here is how it went for me. Sent e-mail enquiry Saturday pm and received an automated message requesting I contact them. Contacted them about 9.45 Monday morning, dealer called me back about 10.15, he was about 50 miles away. Had exactly the car I wanted in stock, took PX details. Rang me back about 10.45 with with price to swap, much better than local dealers, paid deposit by card. Arranged to collect car Friday the same week. Finance chappy rang me at lunch to take details for PCP.

Turned up Friday morning, all OK and quite amazingly they were happy with my PX, I honestly expected them to want to knock a few hundred off for the normal wear and tear items although I had tried to describe it as truthfully as I could. Signed all the paperwork but had to wait about 4 hours whilst Finance was approved, went to the Pub opposite for a bite thus not too bad.

Drove off in car one very happy buyer.

Waited a week and got a quote to settle the PCP. Just had to pay the arrangement fee and a weeks interest.

Overall very satisfied and would use Carfile again without hesitation.

fadden85

Hi all

Just stumbled across this site by accident, but glad that I did. About to take delivery of a new Leon with PCP finance. Not too impressed with the 7.9% rate and was looking at alternatives, but then didn't get the £1000 SEAT contribution.

For those that have done it, can you confirm that when you cancel the SEAT finance, there's no obligation for you to repay the £1000 finance contribution, either to VWFS or the dealer?

I can imagine the dealer being pretty annoyed that they won't get their commission if I do this - keeps telling me what a good deal he's offered me (which is actually lower than the quote I got through Drive the Deal, so I'm inclined to believe him).

Thanks

TIMBUCK2

Thanks for the replies Steve (Starbucks) and Skidpan, very prompt I must say !

You've helped put my mind at rest with the route I'm going down (drivethedeal) so it's just a case of waiting now. The dealer phoned to introduce themselves today actually, although 4 days after I originally phoned drivethedeal, so I was getting slightly worried by the delay. Turns out the dealer ordered the car a couple of days ago anyway, based on the details I'd given to DTD.

They're quoting an estimated 12 week build/delivery time so that puts it on a '63 plate. When the time came I was hoping to go and collect the car myself, rather than have them drive it to my home (albeit for free) but then the dealer informed me that they were 300 miles away !!

Nevermind, can't complain really as I'm saving over £3k off the RRP. The local dealer couldn't get anywhere near, even though they were claiming that that were short of their sales targets for June and would do me a "good deal".

Steve - were you happy with the state of your car when it was delivered (driven) to your home ? Just a bit paranoid it will arrive with stone chips, scuffed alloys, etc. Probably worrying about nothing.

Thanks again.

andrew_ww

Nov 15, 2007
Tim,

Looks like you and I are at the same stage. I too have ordered via DTD. Was contacted by the supplying dealer yesterday, chap I spoke to was helpful and pleasant – now got 12 weeks to wait.

I have the same concerns as you. I mandated with my DTD order that I wanted a ’63 plate – no problems now given the delivery date.

I'm also torn as to whether to collect the car or get it delivered. Firstly will a driver handle the car with the same degree of care I would use on a brand new car? Secondly I specified quite a few options, and I'd be quite frustrated if it got delivered and then I released there something missing when it was sitting on my drive.

DTD price was well below my local dealers best offers.

Roll on September !!

Starbucks78

Oct 7, 2009
Glad to hear the ball is rolling for you guys, just a bit of a wait now but it will be worth it.

The car was in perfect condition when it arrived apart from an expected bit of road dirt, with all additional extras purchased. The driver was actually a retired policeman who had driven very carefully as you could work this out my the trip computer, low average speed when pretty much motorway miles the whole journey, and good mpg.

Not sure if I should give dealer names but they were based in Ashford, Kent.

And just to confirm that there is no obligation to repay the £1000 contribution. Not sure how they could get you to anyway!

Last edited:

welshy67

For those that have done it, can you confirm that when you cancel the SEAT finance, there's no obligation for you to repay the £1000 finance contribution, either to VWFS or the dealer?
Thanks

I cancelled my finance deal last week and I can confirm that I did not have to pay the £1000 back :D

fadden85

I cancelled my finance deal last week and I can confirm that I did not have to pay the £1000 back :D

Thanks and also Starbucks78.

I'm just a bit concerned, now that I've got the car, as the invoice says I had to pay £4800, when in fact they only took £3800, with the other £1000 obviously coming from SEAT. Thinking the dealer might then turn round and say, well actually, you now owe us another £1000 if I cancel the pcp.

Very pleased with the car though. Never had a brand new car before - keep getting worried that people are going to scratch it in car parks etc.

TIMBUCK2

What dealer are DTD sending you to?

As per Starbucks' reply, the dealer that DTD used for my order are also based in Kent, which is a bit of a pain as I live in the North-East !

Don't know if I should name them either but it's fairly easy to trace them if you google Seat dealers in Kent. All I can say is that they were really helpful.

Looks like DTD only use one or two dealers in the UK then.

TIMBUCK2

Tim,

Looks like you and I are at the same stage. I too have ordered via DTD. Was contacted by the supplying dealer yesterday, chap I spoke to was helpful and pleasant – now got 12 weeks to wait.

I have the same concerns as you. I mandated with my DTD order that I wanted a ’63 plate – no problems now given the delivery date.

I'm also torn as to whether to collect the car or get it delivered. Firstly will a driver handle the car with the same degree of care I would use on a brand new car? Secondly I specified quite a few options, and I'd be quite frustrated if it got delivered and then I released there something missing when it was sitting on my drive.

DTD price was well below my local dealers best offers.

Roll on September !!

Andrew,

Interesting that we seem to be in exactly the same position, did you also have a 4 day wait between you first contacting DTD and the dealer contacting you & had the dealer also ordered your car a couple of days before they rang you ?

Is your dealer also based in Kent ?

We'll have to keep each other in the picture with update emails from the dealer and any change in delivery dates, etc.

Out of interest which Leon have you ordered ? I've gone for a 1.4TSi FR (5 door) in Monsoon Grey with a few extras (18" alloys, tech pack, alcantara, winter pack, convenience pack & sound system).

As you say, roll on September !

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise