Biggest wheels!

AL90

Dec 14, 2011
Sheffield
You will need coilovers. splinter got LCR 18s on his boc, but it wasnt easy. iirc he had to run some really low profile tyres and mess about with ride heights and camber for quite some time before he managed to get to stop catching on the wheel arches, and even then i think he said it hit from time to time.

Apr 9, 2009
I had 225.40.18's on them and it was fine, that was with coilovers. I had problems when i had 235's on where it would rub on the back of the arch regardless of ride height.

But when i was back on 225 it wasn't an issue regarding rubbing unless i didn't spot a pot hole. Camber was an issue as i had uneven wear on the inside but this can be fixed.

Miss my boc!

1985hop

Thanks for the advise people. Given me something to think about.

Apr 9, 2009
Found these:

DSC00443.jpg

DSC00433-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-8.jpg

Apr 9, 2009
I never had any major issues with rubbing to be honest. Aside from when i had five people in the car and a boot full of heavy camera equipment.

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
If you get the correct tire size (215/35) you shouldnt have any trouble with the tires rubbing. I drove it with eibach pro springs on 215/35/18 and no problems at all, and now with coilovers lowered a bit further and no trouble at all..

ibi1.jpg

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
Ive just bought some H&R PCD adapters to fit my old leon alloys (the 18" BTCC seat sport ones) to my cupra but not sure on which tyre size to go for. Any advice on that cos was told would need to go to 35 profile to keep the speedo right.

Would love to lower the car but recent birth of twins and house move preventing me due to funds :cry:

Last edited:

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010
Ive just bought some H&R PCD adapters to fit my old leon alloys (the 18" BTCC seat sport ones) to my cupra but not sure on which tyre size to go for. Any advice on that cos was told would need to go to 35 profile to keep the speedo right.

Would love to lower the car but recent birth of twins and house move preventing me due to funds :cry:

depends on width,

225/35 most probbaly

Jul 11, 2009
Dorking
Big alloys look great, don't they. The thing is, how long do you spend looking at your car, and how long driving it. I only ask because fitting big wheels is the best way to **** up the handling on a car I know of. Myself, I spend most time driving it so I have 17"s which I have to fit to clear the brakes. But you just can't tell people, they have to make expensive mistakes before they 'get it'.

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
Realistically though how much difference is an inch on the wheels going to make to the handling? I drive steady anyway, no racing around and majority of use is commuting.
Probably would have just left the 17s on if I didn't already have the 18s from my previous Leon.

PRATTY

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.