What don't you like about your Mk 3 Leon?

JackReacher

Jun 20, 2013
Hello,

Firstly I'm a new member to the forum and have joined up as I'm considering a Mk3 Leon. I've not owned a Seat before, although I was tempted by a Mk1 LCR back when they were new but bought a Civic Type R instead.

Anyway, I'm after a new company car which my girlfriend will use to commute 20k miles a year in, currently she is using an A1 1.6Tdi but we want something bigger as I want to sell my Mk5 Golf Gti. Today we test drove both a 2.0 Tdi FR and a 1.2 Tsi SE. Overall very impressed with both of them, I actually preferred the 1.2 Tsi to drive except for the lack of grunt that the FR had. I will try and find a 1.4 Tsi to drive to see if that strikes the right balance of handling/pace/economy.

We took them on approximately a 10 mile test route and found it interesting that the 1.2Tsi matched the 2.0 Tdi fuel economy, both averaged about 48mpg and we were not driving with economy in mind the whole time! Plus both had less than 2k miles on the clock so hardly run in.

We couldn't really see any downsides to them, the interior is far better than I remember the Mk2 was like, some of the plastics were a bit cheaper than Audi/VW but that doesn't bother us. We also looked at a Mk7 Golf, but didn't like the look of it as much and seems worse value for money, but Seat appear to cost cut in some areas like no electronic handbrake, no rubber grips in storage compartments, little things like that.

I'd be interested to hear from people who've been running them what little niggles they have, things they don't like etc.

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Hi. Mk2 owner here

You may not like 2 extra doors if its just (presuming) you and the misses

Just sayin!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

JackReacher

Jun 20, 2013
Hi. Mk2 owner here

You may not like 2 extra doors if its just (presuming) you and the misses

Just sayin!

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

Yes just me and the misses, and that won't change for a while I hope! But we want the added practicality of 5 doors, both the A1 and my Gti are 3dr and it's annoying when carrying friends, although the SC does look great.

pubsinger

Jan 18, 2007
Rear door handles
Key blade is wrong way round in fob
Felt battery cover
Have started driving down the road like a slalom skier to avoid bumps/holes. Really feel them on 18"

er, that's about it, not a long list....love everything else about it.

All the best

Pub

WildWestHero

Mar 11, 2007
The Wild West
Pleased with the Mk3 (FR150) and there's nothing major that I dislike. If I had to pick a couple of things...

It's been said before... the door handles. While it was slightly disappointing that the rear door handles resurfaced, for me it's the ugliness of the door handles. They are so large they could be comfortably opened while wearing boxing gloves. A strange choice on an otherwise well finished car.

My only other minor bugbear is the opening positions on the doors. There's only two 'notches', British car park and insurance claim. The lack of a middle 'notch' seems odd, and hardly an extra expense for Seat.

Mre bunting in the scheme of things. Just thoght I'd add my two penneth worth.

Last edited:

Starbucks78

Oct 7, 2009
Pleased with the Mk3 (FR150) and there's nothing major that I dislike. If I had to pick a couple of things...

It's been said before... the door handles. While it was slightly disappointing that the rear door handles resurfaced, for me it's the ugliness of the door handles. They are so large they could be comfortably opened while wearing boxing gloves. A strange choice on an otherwise well finished car.

My only other minor bugbear is the opening positions on the doors. There's only two 'notches', British car park and insurance claim. The lack of a middle 'notch' seems odd, and hardly an extra expense for Seat.

Mre bunting in the scheme of things. Just thoght I'd add my two penneth worth.

Thats odd as my fr doesn't have the notches, it just stops wherever I leave it, which is the same mechanism as the new golfs have. This for me though is my annoyance as whilst great when opening, they lack the last little bit of omph when swinging shut and quite often just dont quite close shut tight all the way. If that makes sense!

WildWestHero

Mar 11, 2007
The Wild West
Thats odd as my fr doesn't have the notches, it just stops wherever I leave it, which is the same mechanism as the new golfs have. This for me though is my annoyance as whilst great when opening, they lack the last little bit of omph when swinging shut and quite often just dont quite close shut tight all the way. If that makes sense!

When I say notches, there's a groove and hole on the (black metal) door mechanism - you can only see the first one with door wide open, that I assume holds the door in (mid) position. I guess the last 'notch' is the door's final position. I guess it's more of a problem for me as I park on a slope facing downwards. If the door is open on the first notch / hole it stays in position. After that, it just swings open to the final position, i.e. the widest opening point. My Mk2 had and additional 'catch' position.

I did think of one other minor annoyance (again, no great shakes). As the wipers have returned to the traditional down position, as opposed to being hidden in the pillars, I find that the wiper only clears to a couple of inches from the edge of the screen. This leaves a line of dirt / water. Almost like an extension of the A pillar. Maybe my wipers need adjusting. Again nothing major, and perhaps it just because I've had a Mk2 for 6 years that I've suddenly noticed it.

As I've said before, this is just bunting. It says a lot for the car that's all I can really pick up on.

Jun 15, 2013
Had mine just over a week now, very pleased with it.

Agree with the comments about the key, does not fit naturally in your fingers when its in the ignition.

The wipers are noisy when they change direction.

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011

Agree with the comments about the key, does not fit naturally in your fingers when its in the ignition.

Yeah, the wipers are a bit noisy. Perhaps they'll quieten down after a bit of use.

Forthewin

I'd say you've got a good car if the only two issues are the shape of the key and slightly noisy wipers.

Glovepup

Cupra Lova
May 27, 2006
Sevenoaks, Kent
I dont own one I have the MK2, when I took mine for a service a very eager salesman invited me to take a look at their Leon. First thing I noticed was how bulky the door handles are compared to mine, I'd have hoped they be more like the S3 ones. Hoping the for the Cupra model they go for something different otherwise I doubt I will get one.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Key blade annoyed me just during a test drive! In its defense though I think its because we're so used to the old style VAG flip key this naturally feels strange.

The SC model makes up for the door handles! Such a good looking car

Jun 15, 2013
I dont own one I have the MK2, when I took mine for a service a very eager salesman invited me to take a look at their Leon. First thing I noticed was how bulky the door handles are compared to mine, I'd have hoped they be more like the S3 ones. Hoping the for the Cupra model they go for something different otherwise I doubt I will get one.

Are you serious or is it the 1st of April.

Having owned my Mk 3 for just under 2 weeks I can say without doubt that it is a superb car. Yes its got door handles, they are pretty useful for getting into the car. They are very much like the door handles on every car I have owned.

If the design stops you from buying a car so be it but if I was that picky I could find something to stop me buying every car on sale.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members