Buying Mark 4 Ibiza Cupra tdi 160ps few questions

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
Been offered a mark 4 Ibiza Cupra tdi cheap needs a bit of bodywork but I can sort that out as I am a panel beater, are there any other issues with these cars I should be aware of and may cost a fortune to fix before committing? I've never owned a vag diesel before But I've heard these 150/160ps tdi engines are cam snappers! I've always owned 20vt's and know my way around them like the back of my hand but never an oil burner.

Hopefully going to view it Tuesday so just a quick low down on what are the common faults and costly jobs would be handy to know before I commit

gazcuprablk

my 300+ death box :)
Mar 31, 2006
south wales
104 views no replies!!!! this forum has gone downhill where were the days when people used to help one another out?

ill start a thread now about what colour shall i paint my standard wheels? or shall i sticker bomb my fuel flap? that'll get to about 6 pages in no time

Lowe

Jan 8, 2012
Newcastle Under Lyme
Cam issue was more on the Golf/Bora but does happen to some of the Ibizas if they've not had regular oil changes.

With regards to the forum - if you hit search you'd have found that out in 30 seconds, it's pretty well documented, as is the common faults (rear brake calipers being crap and seizing, boost pipes splitting/leaking, rust on the wings)

DScape

Dubbed
Apr 9, 2007
Derby
www.yeomansinc.co.uk
what colour shall i paint my standard wheels?

Now you're talking! :happy:

Check if the clutch is slipping. Not the end of the world, but a new DMF and clutch is a bit of a dent in the bank balance. Front callipers can be a bit of a 'mare if they've not been maintained properly; if they've had pads fairly recently then I wouldn't worry. If they're looking worn, then pads are relatively expensive and if they're seized it could be a ballache (usually isn't though).

Really, the short answer is no. It's still a car with wheels and an engine, so the rest are just the same items you'd check on any other car; that everything works, it pulls through the gears etc. etc.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise