Water leak under car?

CupraString

Jul 29, 2008
West Mids
Been out for a few hours today and find water dripping from under car : / the aircon hasn't been on and the water appears to be dripping off a heatshield in the middle of the car approx area where the handbrake is? It's definitely water as its evaporating off the drive.
Any ideas?

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Been out for a few hours today and find water dripping from under car : / the aircon hasn't been on and the water appears to be dripping off a heatshield in the middle of the car approx area where the handbrake is? It's definitely water as its evaporating off the drive.
Any ideas?

Did you use windscreen washers at any stage during your drive? Check coolant see if you've lost any. Must admit it sounds like air con condensate, that's roughly where ours appears under car, if you haven't lost any coolant and you didn't use washers it only leaves air con...... :confused:

marty_34

Apr 21, 2012
TEESSIDE
its the air con. I had it last year nothing to worry about, took my car in as I spotted water coming out they said its perfectly normal

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Coincidentally I had a water patch under my car last week, I rarely use the air con, but I touched it and it felt like waster, so it didn't bother me....unless it happens again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Coincidentally I had a water patch under my car last week, I rarely use the air con, but I touched it and it felt like waster, so it didn't bother me....unless it happens again.

cat pi55 ? :sick:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Hahaha! Could well have been! Thanks....it doesn't help that I smelt it too. Who doesn't smell what they've just put their fingers in...?

What , like Angry Kid, Stinky? (stupid phone won't let me post link grrrr)

Last edited:

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Even if I haven't used the air con!?

Yep, the system circulates the gas a little all the time to keep the system lubricated. It stops people not using it for 6 months and then putting in a warranty claim for seized up air con.

Not using the air con is silly, it uses less fuel than the drag from the windows being open. Air con has become way more advanced than it was back in the 70's when it put a large load on the engine.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
That might be true at motorway speeds, but not round town. Besides, I often run about with the windows closed and the aircon off. I put the aircon on if I'm still too warm.

Well obviously if you're stationary in traffic you won't be getting any drag from the windows being open. If you're driving round town you have already committed yourself to poor MPG.

You may as well get the benefit of the cool air because the gas is being circulated and compressed then expanded all the time anyway.

Back in the 70's an AC compressor was massive and caused big loads on the engine to run it. These days the compressors are very small and efficient.

Do you drive around in the winter with the heating off to save energy? The engine is producing heat all the time too.

Ben750

May 14, 2013
Pontefract, West Yorks.
No but then I don't drive around with it set to max either! As I said if I'm warm the aircon goes on. And while it might still be circulating the gas, it's not circulating it at the same levels it would if I had it on so it's not compressing as much gas. On the motorway it makes 3-4 mpg difference, thats about 10%. I'm not tight but I'm not going to burn money either. On top of which I find if it's not that hot outside it can actually get too cold in the car with aircon on.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.