Dashboard lights

Wings988

Oct 27, 2011
Derbyshire
I often find that the dashboard on the Mk5 is quite dark making the clocks difficult to see in some driving conditions, usually when driving down lanes with lots of overhanging trees or even when it's a bit cloudy but not dark enough to need headlights.

I usually turn on the side lights just to get the dashboard lit but was wondering if it is possible to turn the dashboard lights on permanently via Vagcom? or some other way?
:) cheers

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
It's a shame because in my mk3 Ibiza the dashboard was permanently lit up, a step backwards IMO
I didn't see anything in Vagcom about dashboard lights.

I guess it's like that from the factory, as they don't have a little green light on the dashboard to tell you your sidelights/headlights are on.

So if the dash was always lit up you'd have no idea without looking at the switch as to whether your lights were on or not.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
WARNING - What follows is theory and conjecture. I am not an auto electrician. (but if someone more knowledgeable wants to correct/confirm my hypothesis i'm always happy to learn)

I suppose you could do it with a bit of wiring shenanigans by splicing a switched live feed (cigarette lighter perhaps) into the wiring that goes from the light switch to the lights.

That way you'd have effectively DRLs as your sidelights would come on whenever your ignition is on (as would your dash lights... result) and having the switch as a secondary source means that you have the option of leaving sidelights on when required by law for parking on the wrong side of the road for example...

Assuming that this isn't going to been moaned at by the canBUS system

Last edited:

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Just to bump this one back up....

Does anyone know if this can be done via VagCom as trying to see the speed / revs on a a bright day with sunnies on is hard! It's like staring into a black hole waiting for your eyes to adjust.

Thanks!

Big-Pete

Always on the Limit
Aug 8, 2010

Does anyone know if this can be done via VagCom as trying to see the speed / revs on a a bright day with sunnies on is hard! It's like staring into a black hole waiting for your eyes to adjust.

Thanks!

just turn ya side lights on chap, its far easier!

BaldyDave

Mildly Deranged...
Aug 12, 2011
Central Belt Scotland
I often find that the dashboard on the Mk5 is quite dark making the clocks difficult to see in some driving conditions, usually when driving down lanes with lots of overhanging trees or even when it's a bit cloudy but not dark enough to need headlights.

I usually turn on the side lights just to get the dashboard lit but was wondering if it is possible to turn the dashboard lights on permanently via Vagcom? or some other way?
:) cheers

I asked the guy that turned off the cornering lights function in my FR using VAGCOM exactly what you are asking....he said he didn't think that it was possible.

I agree that it was a bit of a bad omission to not have the dash lights come on with the ignition. It was present in my MK4 FR TDI, so why they removed this feature on the MK5 is anybody's guess! :shrug:

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham

Thanks!

Try posting in the vagcom section of the forum mate if it is possible at all them guys will know for sure

PRATTY

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise