Coilovers vs springs

mattyleon

Hello guys, first off I'd like to say I'm new to the forum, not yet purchased the mk1 leon but I go pick it up next week some time. I've picked a standard red fr+ tdi so has the kit and 17" alloys, very tidy car. Did have a corsa arctic edition, loved it but need something fast but economic :)

The first thing I want to do is lower it, been looking on this site for the past few weeks and been looking at them pro sport 5 year warranty coilovers, but I can get a set of h&r 45mm-50mm lowering springs from work for 70 ish (euro car parts) would these be good enough, what will the ride be like on springs compared to coilovers at the same height? And would I need to change wishbone bushes, drop links etc as the cars done 95k. Basically I wanna keep the standard 17" on but power coat them anthracite eventually, and just want the arches filled, will also look at spacers front and back too.

Any info would be great! Thanks, Matty

dannyCworth

Sarcasm is lost in print.
Apr 13, 2013
Milton Keynes
welcome along :) Good choice too, Red has to be my all time favourite colour in the leon. Especially if kept and polished well!

Springs/Shocks generally tend to be the more comfortable of rides. They also tend to be a little bit more forgiving with urban" (City Style) driving. If you are happy with a fixed stance/height that the springs provide then go down that route.

I live in an area plagued with potholes and speedhumps, my old golf was sat incredibly low and had to take different routes home or to my destination to avoid the humps, i could take them, but incredibly slow and at stupid angles. I wont be doing that again.
The ride on my coilovers was also very unforgiving. My parents and grandma hated going in the car and most of my work colleagues would say "your suspension is ****ed mate" lol.

I'm not 100% sure on your clearance at 50mm, but i think you will be ok. IIRC its anything lower than 50mm you need to be careful.

Id also recommend changing your topmounts etc at the same time.

Last edited:

mattyleon

Thanks very much dan! Yea the paint work on it is fab, barely any stone chips and the paint seems to be a lot thicker then vauxhalls, and I've never owned a red car yet so polishing will be immense!

Yea as long as its only slightly firmer then stock but has a good stance then that's what I'm after. Think we list SFK top mounts for it at work, you think they'll be okay? Power flex bushes are cheap through worth too so may change them? Would you recommend changing the drop links as its 50mm? Been searching and can't remember if its them that rub or the arb? Cheers

Mar 16, 2013
Shrewsbury
I just got 50/30 mm springs and shocks, not put em on yet but i bought a set of adjustable droplinks from dpm, since if u lower your car the front arb rattles on the driveshaft. According to dpm to drop 50mm you should be ok with just getting drop links and not having to replace the arb altogether.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.