DPF LIGHT ON.. what to do??

CymanLeBon

Mar 6, 2012
Folks,
My 08 FR went into regen tonight but the light has stayed on.
What are the dpf instructions as stated on the dash when the alarm sounds?
The car gets a good driving every day over & back to work, dont understand why it would do this.
Is it driving the car over 2500rpm for 20min will remove this warning light?
There is only 54k on the car but believe this can happen anytime.
Will the car go into limp mode as I need it for work in the morning..
Thanks in advance.
Simon

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Give it a go driving at over 2500rpm to get the exhaust hot.

If it doesn't go it could be a DPF sensor as they seem to be a common issue.

Search the forum, there's load of threads on here that will contain the answer you're looking for, and it'll probably be quicker than waiting for someone to respond.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
If motorway at 2k revs plus doesn't clear it in 10 mins you have a fault. Probably a pressure sensor fault.

You can order and fit the sensors yourself if you're handy with the spanners. No need to reset any errors codes as far as I know.

Or take it to a garage but walk away if they start talking about jet washing the DPF or adding chemicals to the fuel to help clear it. Because the light is on there will be an error code stored and it will tell exactly the cause of the fault. Once the fault is fixed the light should go off.

CymanLeBon

Mar 6, 2012
Thanks lads took it on the motorway 20 mins 2750rpm and then the coil light started to flash so it is a garage job in the morning. Looks like it has gone into limp mode..frickin DPF!
Prob a sensor maybe this G450 sensor will research it now

CymanLeBon

Mar 6, 2012
Had it in the garage looks like the DPF is knackered, it would not preform regen & could go on fire he said.
Looks like DPF delete as am not buying a new one
Question in standard remap or extra bhp??
Also trying to find someone good in ireland may b a problem...grrrrr

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
I'm so sick of DPF stories.
Really we need to get a petition started, worldwide, and cross-manufacturer, to have them fix this **** up because it's getting beyond ridiculous.

adamb87

cupra gone :(
Feb 13, 2011
Preston
and its going to get alot worse as dealers dont seem to be telling people what to do with them......

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
and its going to get alot worse as dealers dont seem to be telling people what to do with them......

Surely this is becoming very expensive for dealers.

AND the flippin platinum in the DPFs isn't exactly an abundant resource. There's something to be said about the environmental friendliness of having to replace/make more DPFs all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

delboyuk2005uk

Jan 25, 2009
St Helens
When my car went into limp mode I had to get the dpf cleaned and regen for £265.

When came to pick the car up the advice they have me was different.

When dpf light comes on go on motorway in high gear as possible at 1500 revs and turn on all electrics radio lights air con wipers you name it.

So I said 1500 revs he said yes so the engine is running at its optimum revs will mean it will wont need to think about anything else apart from doing the regen.

So when the light did come on I tyred it and it went off after 10 mins.

Strange way of doing it as I did think you had to do it in high revs say about 3rd 4th or 5th gear.

Seems like there are a few ways of doing it?

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
That's all well and good but surely it can't be right for us to have to trick our cars into working properly by turning everything on and driving at a certain rev range.

What's next?
When you wear jeans your car's computer will sense that and require you put the heating to setting 23, dual mode, and rev to 2200 for 13 seconds or the fuel pump will blow up.
Do that...and it's grand!!

Does that sound much more ridiculous than the DPF thing?

Last edited:

olitaylor07

Badger Badger
Jul 15, 2012
West Yorkshire
Mine is starting to become an annoyance aswell. Want mine ripped out and remap but insurance will increase a fair bit and I don't want to waste money on just a DPF delete and map it out

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Mine is starting to become an annoyance aswell. Want mine ripped out and remap but insurance will increase a fair bit and I don't want to waste money on just a DPF delete and map it out

Insurance companies should be giving discounts for removing them.

But I see your point. Might as well save a bit more and get a remap and accompanying insurance.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members