So I'm looking for a newer car, tried out the GTC VXR tonight

3pointturn

Nov 18, 2011
So when I got my leon FR (2.0 tfsi 2007) it was a stop gap for 2 years and that time is about up..

I'm considering nearly new VW GTI's, Leon Cupra R's, the VXR and anything else (like the megane), however I took a demonstrator GTC VXR for a drive tonight and wasn't impressed.
It didn't help the weather was pissing down but like all new drives you're aware of differences, ride height and comfort always seem to be the first noticeable thing but...
The lag on the VXR is really noticeable, like I say it was wet conditions so really couldn't tell properly (or feel it in corners) but it seemed to be about 4k rpm when the turbo let loose.

I'm thinking a nearly new to yr old Cupra R is still my next car, I really do like the ride in the pre FL FR (even though it can break backs) but the VXR felt cheap compared to it. However the 20 alloy ride in the VXR felt much more comfortable than the FR but I suppose that's a given anyway

Anyone else moved to the VXR recently and why?

I need another road test in dry conditions to get my head around it, at the back of my mind I think in 3 years time I'll think it feels and looks much cheaper than tonight, ignoring the fact it's an almost £30k astra

I really do love driving the FR, the only thing missing is the Cupra R bit and I'm still thinking Seat is best for what I want

Last edited:

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Not sure anyone went to vauxhall, BenjiC2 went to a Megane though.

Almost £30k for an Astra?!?! My dad got a new m135i and he paid £36k for that with practically every optional extra on it. You can get a 3dr one without any of the nav or memory seats etc for little over £30k.

Last edited:

discostued

Apr 4, 2013
Surrey
£30k is a lot of money for an Astra.

Drove a new 2.0 CDTI as a hire car for 3 weeks and if I'm honest..... Thrashed the life out of it and did love it. Hated system inside and far to many button and dials. Car did not feel me with confidence with the handling and found front end very light and often to light

Da1sycat

My experience of Renault is loads of kit for the money but they scrimp on the wiring loom and two years down the line you are tortured with problems. Good customer services though.

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
My experience of Renault is loads of kit for the money but they scrimp on the wiring loom and two years down the line you are tortured with problems. Good customer services though.

Eurgh, not this stereotypical crap again. He's talking about a specific car, of which is one of the most reliable on the road!?

Didn't like the VXR myself either, feels heavy and underpowered even though it is still very fast it just doesn't feel it. I couldn't recommend the Megane RS enough, I don't need to bull ****, read up about them or just go and drive one, you won't want to drive anything else.

I really really wish I could keep mine, but in other developments I have just got a new job which requires a little bit more travelling so I need a "sensible" car ( Ie not a decatted stage 2+ road going track car ) . I am just finallising a deal for the new Audi S3 s tronic, went through a broker ( broadspeed) and they quoted 7% off list price which the dealer suprisingly matched. Fully loaded 35.5k and getting it for 32.5 and extended 4th year warranty. Delivery date of November ( eeeek ) but it is certainly worth the wait. 4wd, 300hp, 0-60 in 4.8 seconds stock! I wonder what with a stage 1.. or 2? :O.
So if anyone is interested in the new S3 and the dealer has told you strictly no discounts because its a "new" "top of the range" model then they are chatting crap! :D

3pointturn

Nov 18, 2011
Sorry I meant brand new it's almost 30k (28k i think new), the motor i was looking at tonight is a demonstrator and 2 month old so it's going for £23k

I really didn't get the conditions or time to see the power which is ~280bhp but it just didn't feel like a smooth map, I see good reviews about it but I just didn't feel it. I need to test drive a cupra R, I suppose you just get used to a drive but I suspect I'll feel much happier in the R straight away

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
the vxr range, has never tickled my fancy. Whilst i rather like the GTC / Astra J range, and ofcourse i like the VXR range - its just never had that "thing" to catch my attention.

the new one, is an awesome thing. but there are a few things why i wouldnt want one.
Price
20 inch wheels - and tyres.
stupidly priced brakes
cupra r - cheaper, more fun
Megan RS - as above.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Sorry I meant brand new it's almost 30k (28k i think new), the motor i was looking at tonight is a demonstrator and 2 month old so it's going for £23k

I really didn't get the conditions or time to see the power which is ~280bhp but it just didn't feel like a smooth map, I see good reviews about it but I just didn't feel it. I need to test drive a cupra R, I suppose you just get used to a drive but I suspect I'll feel much happier in the R straight away

I think you drove the VXR in the perfect conditions , dont forget this is England and not the continent !
1 month a year of good weather and the rest wet or crap.

I would not pay out 23k for a vauxhal , depreciate like a brick and customer service on par with SEAT.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I am just finallising a deal for the new Audi S3 s tronic, went through a broker ( broadspeed) and they quoted 7% off list price which the dealer suprisingly matched. Fully loaded 35.5k and getting it for 32.5 and extended 4th year warranty. Delivery date of November ( eeeek ) but it is certainly worth the wait. 4wd, 300hp, 0-60 in 4.8 seconds stock! I wonder what with a stage 1.. or 2? :O.
So if anyone is interested in the new S3 and the dealer has told you strictly no discounts because its a "new" "top of the range" model then they are chatting crap! :D

what finance or pcp deal did you get?

Leesey

Potter
Oct 1, 2009
Stoke
Mate of mine has just ordered a M135i at £32k. Hell of alot of car for the money. Upgrading from a A1 1.2!

Benjic2

Aug 29, 2011
what finance or pcp deal did you get?

Non mate, the dealer matched the discount offered straight up so no need to go through the broker as I will be funding it a different way. I wont have the car longer than 2 years but got the extended warranty because there is more chance of them screwing it together right first time if they know its on their books for a further year! ( Interesting stats on Audi-sport, where cars with extended warranty don't seem to have as many issues as those with standard cover :shrug: )

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
must admit i would go for the golf or seat because of build quality
my next in line would be focus st
then renault
then vxr
renault will be quickest standard form and be best round track

chuckb

Mo bark n' Mo grunt
Apr 4, 2010
Sunny Slough
I think you drove the VXR in the perfect conditions , dont forget this is England and not the continent !
1 month a year of good weather and the rest wet or crap.

I would not pay out 23k for a vauxhal , depreciate like a brick and customer service on par with SEAT.

This is true, I tried one at Burnham Vauxhall in the peeing rain recently and have to say yes it stupid quick but

My dislikes were the 20' bin lid diameter wheels on crappy Bucks and Berks roads, kerb rim tastic.

Cockpit and console the bridge of the Star Ship Enterprise

Bit front end light in the peeing rain.

30K for an Astra that will drop like a stone on the 3 year trade in.

steroidchris

Feb 14, 2011
Brierley Hill
Just wondering if you'd considered the Alfa Giulietta Cloverleaf? I personally wouldn't be able to afford the Cloverleaf but I'll definitely be looking at the 1.4 multiair version that they do when I change cars.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

gunnergibson

Dec 27, 2010
North West
Had the new VXR on the track last week... steering felt artificial , lack of feeling.. went well, plenty of grip due to the mech lsd...

When pushed began to feel a little unstable.

Looks grea, obviously quick, great harmonics under load from exhaust, build quality a noteworthy improvement on the previous model... not worth the money.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members