Boca Emission Control Light

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
Yer, to Mike, Dashnine and Bob, I get the same. I find it's better not to quote the Forums otherwise you instantly stop getting as much help.

Update on my car - My friend has a Bluetooth OBDII reader and a phone app that we used last night. Gave the car some poke to bring up the engine light and the fault code that came up was P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire.

You lot probably have had the same already right?

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Yes, that's the light we get, though don't know which cylinder the misfires on as all the official paperwork from the Dealer goes back to Seat for invoicing / records. We just get a form completed by the Service guy with the basics of the work carried out.

miketurner

Mike - Reckon I'm in a similar boat to you, Seat have OK'd cylinder head removal and Workshop Guru reckons either coked valves or shot piston rings and thinks (or hopes) its likely a new engine, waiting to hear end of week. :D

Dashnine did you hear anything more on your car last week?

The parts for my cylinder head have arrived this week and supposedly it should be working again by Friday (after 7 weeks of them having it!)

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
New engine going in (block and head from what I can work out, everything else as on car originally), hopefully get it back next week, will give full details then! Fingers and everything else crossed!

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
Hey everyone.

Car went into the garage this morning. As I said before, I found P0301 fault code, showing misfire in cylinder 1. Just had a call from the techie asking if I had played around with the coilpack because he found a P0302 fault code (cylinder 2).

I haven't touched anything under the bonnet at all so the fault is showing in 2 cylinders now.

Sidenote, had an embarrassing test drive this morning where I took the engineer out to demo the problem and I couldn't get it to happen again, despite it doing it everytime when im by my self and I plant my foot. Typical!

ALSO - Spoke to the master techie and he said he appreciates forums like this and even uses them sometimes for finding common faults! So much for the guy in the shirt and tie in at the Service desk giving me jip for quoting the internet/forums!

Will update again when I hear back from the garage and they've (hopefully) diagnosed the problem.

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
Got the car back this morning. Seems to be working ok now without any noticable issues.

Dealers explanation was that because of the oil issue that i'm also having, where it's constantly drinking oil, it's left the sparkplugs clogged with crap and they aren't firing properly. The spark plugs have been cleaned up now but the problem will come back if the oil problem isn't looked into.

I'm now doing 300km and then taking it back in for the standard oil mesaure test. This is since the breather pipe upgrade was done + ECU update.

Meanwhile.. i test drove a mk1 leon cupra r today tehehehe :D

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Apologies for late update!

We got the car back a few days ago and all seems fine, back to ‘normal’! I’m told we have now a new engine with revised internals and different spark plugs as advised by Seat, a spark plug had disintegrated and part of it had scored the cylinder bore. My assumption is that the plug had coked up, overheated and failed due to the oil issue and possible over fueling (very sooty black exhaust and surround, high fuel and oil consumption).

So I think we now have the CTHE engine and map (whoopee: 0–60 in 6.9 and 142mph max!) in place of the CAVE engine as per the sticker in the boot. It should have the new pistons, rings, breather pipes, etc. with CTHE (see h t t p://w w w.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=10073&page=2). Don’t know and can’t find how to spot the CTHE engine externally, anyone?

So far the car feels great, though difficult to compare with the CAVE engine given the time it’s been away. The economy is better, was previously struggling to get 30mpg even on VPower, now hitting 35mpg easily (in D, drops a bit in S) though can’t give you an accurate reading as the wife managed to ‘vent fill’ it giving me heart failure at 21mpg for the first tank with new engine…. Must say, great service from the Seat garage, hats off to them.

Fingers crossed now: Hopefully the car is sorted for good, but it’s drinking VPower in the Last Chance Saloon, another problem and it’s gone, am very wary of keeping it beyond warranty expiry now in any case.

alex13p

∫℮ª↑ ©ч‽Яд
Jan 17, 2011
Fleet, Hampshire
Afternoon!

Monday morning I took my car back in for the oil to be measured again and then yesterday morning Seat made the decision to replace the engine. Engine is now on order (7-10 days lead time) and I'm waiting for a call to book it in.

I expect a similar situation to dashnine above, although I haven't done much reading up on the different engine types. Nonetheless, i'll be putting a little scratch somewhere on my original engine to make sure they dont try something funky on my and leave the old engine in. Paranoid!

dashnine

Oct 31, 2012
Warwick, UK
Alex13p - Take a before and after photo with the engine cover off - dying to see if theres any difference externally between CAVE and CTHE! I didn't get the chance.

limraaaah

Jul 21, 2012
Taking mine in today for this problem that everyone's had, they have no courtesy cars too so I hope it won't be a long wait :(

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members