New clutch time, quick query

MrFwibble

Aug 26, 2011
Scottish Borders
Seat are going to replace the release bearing under warranty and I was thinking its a good time to replace the clutch when someone else is paying the labour charge!

They quoted me £340 + VAT part only for the offical seat clutch, not sure what brand it actually is?

They would also fit a 3rd party one as well, waiting on that quote.

My question, should I pony up the £340 to get the oem one or just go for the pattern part?

2006 2.0 TFSI Sport with 75k miles btw.

Ta!

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
Do you plan to modify it, or is it already modified?
if you plan on taking it over stage 2, then get a 3rd party one installed whilst its out.

if you "need" a clutch with no plans on going further with the performance, then get an oem put in. they are good clutches, they manage a lot of abuse!

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
Stage 1 with oem clutch is fine, even stage 2, but then again remember its down to driving style. you can easily kill a clutch with no extra power. the added power just makes the process easier lol.

there are people on here running stage 2 + with no issues on their clutches (yet)

MrFwibble

Aug 26, 2011
Scottish Borders
Sorry, should have said, its under the used car warranty from the garage when I bought it, I'm the 2nd owner :)

It's Arnold Clark, but they have the Seat franchise here., the warranty is their AutoCare package, which I have used plenty of!

Sep 17, 2011
my clutch starting slipping very soon after revo stage 1 on tfsi sport, although it should be said I was pretty rough with it

Last edited:

tonto

Apr 17, 2011
plymouth
my clutch starting slipping very soon after revo stage 1 on tfsi sport, although it should be said I was pretty rough with it

i try not to go crazy if im below 3k! lol, i know the clutch wont last long atall if i get any worse with it.

saying that, i've had it bellowing out smoke, and slipping in all 6 gears when i was drag racing. managed to do it real bad in 1st when launching. smoked, stank! didnt move more than 5 yards. so, when i tried to drive off, id get to just over 1k and it would just bounce straight to the limiter lol.

needless to say, i thought it was ****ed. left it for 30 mins, been fine since. yaay.

BHP Addict

Back in a SEAT!!
Jan 31, 2006
Birmingham
Sorry to hi-jack but whilst on this topic.....

Whats the thoughts on a 70k FR (petrol) and wanting stage 1 mapping on stock clutch?

Im thunking its going to need changing at some point but what about the DMF?
Do i NEED to change it?

No noises or slippage but sids law as soon as map goes on clutch will die lol so wondered if i can have clutch or need DMF also?

MrFwibble

Aug 26, 2011
Scottish Borders
Quick update, managed to get the price down on the clutch kit and release bearing. Paid £182 for the Seat OEM clutch kit and £53 for the release bearing.

I think that was good value! No labour either, as they were doing other work under warranty, woohoo!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.