8bit's new R...

Jun 23, 2011
Inverurie
:O , ill need to see this gorgeous car in the flesh sometime!

looks awesome!

i also remember you saying that you were going to be getting into a sensible car after the leon ;P

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Cheers ;)

There's a thread about a possible RR day at Wallace in Sept, I'll be at that if it ever gets organised.

I think what I said was a more "grown up" car, pretty sure I never used the word "sensible" ;)

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Awesome mate! Didn't see that one coming :)

Lovely cars, and the sound will be addictive for sure.

Really like the green light up illumination in the interior. Looks trick!

Enjoy! :D

Last edited:

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Had the car down to Edinburgh this weekend. Managed about 25mpg on the way there on regular 95 RON Shell fuel using cruise control. Needed to fill up on the way back so tried a tank of VPower, got about half an MPG more than the way down. Would possibly have done better than that but got delayed in Dundee due to a crash. Another long run this coming weekend so will see what it gets.

It's going in to the local Jaguar dealer next week too. Spotted a couple of niggles after I picked it up the other week, there's a slight rattle/knocking sound when going over bumps etc. at low speeds - possibly a loose heat shield, I gather it's common for them to come loose. The supercharger belt needs changed too. The dealer I bought the car from is covering these.

Also found a few electrical-related issues. The passenger seat adjustment controls didn't work for a bit yesterday and the indicator bulb warning came on yesterday. It seems to think the front right bulb is gone but only when I tap the stalk upwards to do the three-flash thing. If I push it all the way up to hold it on, or switch on the hazards, it's fine. Checking on some Jaguar forums suggests that these cars are sensitive to old batteries and apparently earthing points are a known issue - the car has an all aluminium chassis so they can't weld earth points to them, they have to be bonded which means they can come loose over time.

Jaguar Warranty should cover those things though :)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Awesome mate! Didn't see that one coming :)

Lovely cars, and the sound will be addictive for sure.

Really like the green light up illumination in the interior. Looks trick!

Enjoy! :D

Cheers t0m, yeah it was a slightly left-field choice for sure ;) The noise is utterly filthy even on the stock exhaust. When at full chat it's fairly loud as well. The interior in general is really nice, everything has a premium feel to it. If I had to be picky I'd say the steering wheel is too big and too thin (compared to the LCR wheel anyway) and there's no dead pedal to the right of the driver's footwell, so nowhere handy to rest your foot when waiting for lights or on cruise control.

Small points though :)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Cheers :) Yes, still have the Leon. My wife uses that mostly but I'm "borrowing" it back for a track thing at Knockhill tomorrow ;)

Had the Jag out on a jaguarforum.co.uk run yesterday, around Perthshire, Cairngorms, upper Deeside - some of the best roads in Scotland. The car was absolutely epic, it just loves those sort of roads. Plenty of places to open up that big 'charged V8 too and it slows and turns just as well as it accelerates. Can't wait to get back out and drive it again...

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
So, update time. Car was in getting the issues sorted under extended warranty, the knocking sound turned out to be an ARB link bush worn through and the squeaky belts were fixed by changing both the supercharger and accessory belts and their tensioners. Cost to me - £0.00.

They did a full healthcheck on the car and found the rear discs and pads were needing replaced. I tried to get the dealer I bought the car from to cover at least part of it since there's no way they can have been in much better shape at the time I bought it but no joy. Oh well, won't be buying another one from them.

So I was quoted £500 to change rear discs and pads by the local Jag dealer so I thought "sod that" and went and got EBC Redstuff pads, Pagid discs, a new piston wind-back tool and the adaptor for the Jaguar caliper pistons for £150 and set about it at the weekend. Out with the old:

7qni.jpg

And in with the new:

6myy.jpg

Took a bit longer than planned but it always does when I do car DIY. Made a pleasant discovery while doing the job:

1a6g.jpg

Goodridge braided hosts as standard, result :)

Brakes feel a little better already. The rear discs are bigger than the LCR front ones! Stock Jaguar pads are really, really dusty, the EBCs are meant to be much cleaner so if they're much better and the performance is improved I may change the front pads later on. The front plates on the calipers are supposed to have the //R logo on them but the R flakes off with heat, I'll order some new ones for all four calipers and give them a good coat of lacquer before changing them out.

Also managed to get a wee sound clip at the weekend, I know a few folk were asking...

Clicky

Thanks for looking :)

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Cheers mate, still have the LCR and still love driving it too - very different cars, can beast the LCR more, the Jag responds better to a smoother style - I'm very lucky I guess, I can take my pick as my mood dictates ;)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.