LCR Stage 1 Remap: Less turbo lag at low revs... 2-4k?

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
Hello All,

My last few cars have had 3 and 3.2L engines and I really miss the instant bottom end torque that bigger N/A engines provides. There ain't not replacement for displacement as the old saying goes.
I just returned from my second trip to the french alps in the LCR and on very tight 2nd gear switch backs and hairpins, the car was simply dreadful, too fast for 1st gear, but way too slow for 2nd gear to have any decent revs/power.

I was thinking about getting a stage 1 remap, but tbh, i find 225 is plenty of power when it is on the boil, i just hate the bottom end. What can i do to improve this? Many thanks.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Buy a cupra? smaller turbo.... less lag. Some mappers have been toying with the idea of limiting boost to certain gears which might help but youve still got the lag factor.

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
to be honest with relentless v2 fitted on my old tt , positive boost came in at 1400rpm spooled quicker than my k03s cupra in the past , the k04 turbo is not that big if you find 1400rpm lag then i wouldn't even bother with a turbo car , getting the car flowing , 80mm tip , relentless manifold , remove the cats and you'll see the difference even without a remap , i made 259bhp on stock map @ *****

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
to be honest with relentless v2 fitted on my old tt , positive boost came in at 1400rpm spooled quicker than my k03s cupra in the past , the k04 turbo is not that big if you find 1400rpm lag then i wouldn't even bother with a turbo car , getting the car flowing , 80mm tip , relentless manifold , remove the cats and you'll see the difference even without a remap , i made 259bhp on stock map @ *****

I'd agree with most of that, apart from the 80mm TIP and manifold. I'm a big fan of the TIP, and I have the mani as well. But IME both of them actually make the torque suffer (unless mapped to take into account)
They allow much more flow top end, which is where your power figure came from, but wouldn;t really help the OP in his quest.

First thing I'd want to be doing is giving the car a healthcheck and boost hose/pcv test, as 3k rpm is fairly high compared to mine when it was standard

Edit: I don;t know why but I thought you said it wasn;t boosting til 3k. My mistake

Last edited:

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
Thanks for the responses, does a stage 1 remap only serve to emphasize lag then and make it even more focused on the top end?

seatcupramad23

kc4even23
Sep 7, 2009
birmingham
depends who you getting to map your car some tuners request more boost earlier for that punch of intial torque some request a more progressive curve , all depends on what you want but stage 1 map will be more responseive than a stock car .

i've ran relentless on 3 1.8t's cars and all cars i've used it on seem to make the biggest hardware gain ,

stock map tt 225 259bhp and 247ft/lbs (12 year old car) thats over 30bhp and 30 ft/lbs more than stock
leon cupra r custom stage 1 270bhp and 304 ft/lbs on stock k04 manifold , bolted on v2 made 283bhp and 297 ft/lbs with no software tweaks (running 0.2 bar less boost) more torque under the curve and peak torque earlier

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members