water coming from passenger footwell

cobra

hope this is ok to post here and in the correct place:whistle: its been lagging it down with rain not long been out I put the blowers on and water started to come through the passenger footwell as soon a i turned the heater off it stopped any ideas guys my passenger window dosnt work nor the central locking or mirror on that side the previous owner said it needed a regulator or something and the window has been propped up with wood as a temporary fix maybe the water is somehow traveling via there or a more serious problem as happened?

any help much is appreciated as you can probably guess im not mechanically minded at all and hope this post makes sence

cobra

try the pollen filter cover. if its not seated properly then it leaks

thankyou for the reply what and where abouts is that ? in a basic terms as possible please lol

forgot to add the car is a leon cupra 1.8 20v turbo 2002

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
right here bud, lift the bonnet and the scuttle tray (where the wipers are) on the passenger side is this.
image001.jpg

undo the 2 screws shown then you should be able to pull that whole unit out. (make sure you pull out the little things the screws go into otherwise you'll lose them) once its out you should see the pollen filter
20100704_IMG_6825.jpg

that bit you just took off was the cover just put it back on as best you can so it covers the filter then just wait till it rains again to see if it worked :p

cobra

thanks very much for taking the time to post that its much appreciated mate, someone did say it could be the heater matrix but if so wouldn't that use water from the expansion bottle ive lost no water at all from there just seem to have gained a bucket's worth it rains inside once the heater is on :confused:

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
yeah still suggests to me that it is the pollen filter cover mate. give it a shot. Its one of the common problems with these along with rubbish door seals

cobra

cheers mate will do the door itself dosnt seem sealed very well to be honest probably because the window isn't as it should be time will tell when its dry if it still does it then god knows

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
door seals go over time as well mate so can seem through there. You can tell if its the seals cos you'll have water on the sills when you open the doors. theres a thread in the mk1 Leon FAQ section on how to fit it :)

cobra

door seals go over time as well mate so can seem through there. You can tell if its the seals cos you'll have water on the sills when you open the doors. theres a thread in the mk1 Leon FAQ section on how to fit it :)

thanks again help it is much appreciated certainly glad I joined this forum friendly helpful people unlike a few other car forums ive been on in the past

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
haha no worries bud any time. All forums have those type of people even this one. Just some advice if you have a problem its nearly always been covered try searching in the top right before creating a thread. People will slate you otherwise, I've fallen victim to that a few times :p

cobra

haha no worries bud any time. All forums have those type of people even this one. Just some advice if you have a problem its nearly always been covered try searching in the top right before creating a thread. People will slate you otherwise, I've fallen victim to that a few times :p

cheers mate il remember that:thumbup:

cobra

ive had a look at the pollen box thing 1st of all the two screws for the cover are missing and the one in your pic mate is that a filter? if so mine hasn't got that as soon as that plastic cover is lifted up theres just a hole and a square frame and there is some water at the bottom heres a few pics ive took

2dm8kef.jpg

2u73g2q.jpg

eg7704.jpg

cobra

picked a pollen filter up from Sutton autos and put that in will see how it goes now ive read that to check the seal or something to remove the bottom part two 13mm nuts I can only see one 10mm nut weather that's for a mk2 cupra though, im rubbish at these sort of things as it clearly shows:-o

RaviR50

Aug 15, 2012
Southampton
dunno about another seal but yeah get a filter in there I don't see how there wasn't one in there in the first place its part of a service?! yeah just make sure when you put the cover back on it sits nice and doesn't fold anywhere

cobra

dunno about another seal but yeah get a filter in there I don't see how there wasn't one in there in the first place its part of a service?! yeah just make sure when you put the cover back on it sits nice and doesn't fold anywhere

cheers mate I have done it wasn't on properly in the 1st place and the filter was missing just need to get some replacement screws, now for the door seal and central locking seen threads with the door seals but not for the one door not for the problems ive got so hope it is ok to start a new thread for that

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
My pollen filter has a clip-on plastic deflector attached to the front of the filter housing which had to be removed to fit a new filter, after the external cover had been unscrewed and pulled out. Your photos don't show this. Is it possible it was missing?

I can see maybe that it would help stop water getting into / through the filter if there were any leaks in the outer cover...

Re-sealing door panels is fairly easy and does not require complete removal of the inner metal door panel - you can leave the top two bolts fixing it to the door in place (but loosened) and use a couple of wooden spoon handles or similar to hold the panel away from the main door while you seal the lower edges. Don't need to seal all around the top of the panel as the water gets through the lower half.

If your door lock's playing up there's a good guide to replacement at the 'VW Vortex' site, which is linked from this site. Replacement locking modules are on eBay for about £25 (make sure you get the one for the right door!).

cobra

My pollen filter has a clip-on plastic deflector attached to the front of the filter housing which had to be removed to fit a new filter, after the external cover had been unscrewed and pulled out. Your photos don't show this. Is it possible it was missing?

I can see maybe that it would help stop water getting into / through the filter if there were any leaks in the outer cover...

Re-sealing door panels is fairly easy and does not require complete removal of the inner metal door panel - you can leave the top two bolts fixing it to the door in place (but loosened) and use a couple of wooden spoon handles or similar to hold the panel away from the main door while you seal the lower edges. Don't need to seal all around the top of the panel as the water gets through the lower half.

If your door lock's playing up there's a good guide to replacement at the 'VW Vortex' site, which is linked from this site. Replacement locking modules are on eBay for about £25 (make sure you get the one for the right door!).

hi thanks very much for your reply mine did have the cover but no pollen filter its all back together just have to wait now and see, as for the door seal my central locking dosnt work nor the the mirror/ bottom door light and the window needs a regulator or something its currently propped up with wood until I get it sorted until I no why the electrics arnt working etc I don't want to get it sealed until there all done if that makes sence could do with someone looking at it really as I havnt got a clue lol

BenG

Ben
Oct 26, 2011
Cove Bay, Aberdeen
Seems to be common for the door lock to fail, or at least start intermittently playing up like mine did, but if the window and door light have gone at the same time then I guess it might be the wiring loom into the door has got damaged.

The wires flex and chafe where they go through the door frame at the front edge and this can break the wires or damage the insulation - happened to my drivers door and the courtesy light was operating intermittently.

Seems too much of a coincidence for the door lock, light AND window winder to all fail at once.:confused:

cobra

hi ben ive just followed the wires from the door to the footwell and fount this seems like someone has tried to do this before and made a mess I havnt a clue where to start maybe a job for auto electrician now ?

hx4sub.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.