Bought a LCR today. Few questions.

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
I bought a lovely grey LCR today and I love it so far I even managed 37 mpg on the 115 mile trip home which I thought was very good.

Just a few questions.

Do these cars not have the option to click the indicator stalk half up to make indicators flash 3 times like my old mk4 ibiza? Can it be turned on using vag-com?

The steering seems a bit heaver than the ibiza cupra tdi I had is this normal?

Also the temp gauge when running at 90deg went down a few times almost to the next line down then went back up after 10 seconds or so any ideas if this is just a trait of these or is something wrong?

Last edited:

Yatesey8527

Mar 11, 2010
Gloucester
Congratulations on your new purchase mate.

Not sure about the indicator stalk thing.

Steering is heavier on the LCR's.

As for the water temp think most sit around 90 degrees,possible coolant temp sensor.Have a look at the prongs on the sensor,it's in the header tank-I've read they start to corrode/deposit build up on them-just try cleaning them off to start with & try that.

Mikey_Bling

Apr 25, 2013
Notts
Welcome to the club!

Yeh, as stated, for some reason steering is naturally heavy. Something to do with a heavier "quick rack"(???)

No, there is no comfort indicator on the LCR. The car is on the MK4 Golf platform and these too didn't have that feature. I used to have a MK4 GT TDI and always wondered why it didn't have 3 clicks.

There's a good thread in the FAQ's about what features you may or may not be aware of on your car.

Enjoy the motor!

Keithslippery

Slippery
Sep 11, 2009
Congratulations on your new purchase mate.

Not sure about the indicator stalk thing.

Steering is heavier on the LCR's.

As for the water temp think most sit around 90 degrees,possible coolant temp sensor.Have a look at the prongs on the sensor,it's in the header tank-I've read they start to corrode/deposit build up on them-just try cleaning them off to start with & try that.

Coolant temp sensor is on the right hand side of the block as your looking at it, just replace it with a new one. 2 minute job.

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Thanks for the help. I will replace the sender first if that doesn't cure it I will change the thermostat.
Just to make sure the sender in the block is for the gauge and the sender in the header tank is a level sensor?

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Thanks for the help. I will replace the sender first if that doesn't cure it I will change the thermostat.
Just to make sure the sender in the block is for the gauge and the sender in the header tank is a level sensor?

Coolant temp sensor is in a pipe running next to the block and sends signals to gauge and ecu. Header tank sensor is for level only as you guessed :)

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
It's a duel one then. that's good so if it's faulty it could affect the engines running too if the ecu doesn't get correct engine temp.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Are you having problems? Faulty stat will usually drop temp when on the move and return to 90 at lower speeds. It can mess up fueling.

I think my cupra has the indicator thingy... not much help to you though :rolleyes: not seen an option on vagcom for it but haven't looked... maybe its the stalk?

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Are you having problems? Faulty stat will usually drop temp when on the move and return to 90 at lower speeds. It can mess up fueling.

I think my cupra has the indicator thingy... not much help to you though :rolleyes: not seen an option on vagcom for it but haven't looked... maybe its the stalk?

Th temp gauge was going up ang down a few times while on the motorway while doing constant speeds. Would a fault fan with the low speed problem cause this. Just can't see it would cool down that quick with that problem?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
fans have there own thermo switch independent of ecu i believe so should only come on when the temp wants to rise above 90. You could try popping the bonnet quickly once the temp drops to see if the fans are running?
Ive changed my stat twice during ownership... the temp will fluctuate quickly as you say.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
The part is available from VW p art No 000-953-227A (£40 including VAT) comes as a kit with additional relay and wiring, the wires need to be connected to the hazard switch relay :

1) First remove radio (standard keys work as good as anything);

2) No need to remove radio just drop it down onto the gear lever area but makesure you cover it first with a clean rag so not to scratch anything;

3) Place fingers beneath the Piano Black trim. The trim itself, although looksrather fragile, is backed onto a metal surround. Pull firmly toward you and inslightly upwards motion. It should detach - there are approx 2-3 clips thatwill detach;

4) Remove the cup holder by using a bladed screwdriver to press up the clipsabove it (it will make sense when you see it). Pull it directly out towardsyou;

5) Remove the ESP switch but leave it connected - no need to unplug it from its connector just let it dangle carefully;

6) Now you will be able to get your fingers down either side of the hazardswitch. Position them on the base of the switch (feel for it) and give it avery firm pull toward you i.e. toward the back of the car. The switch is springloaded and will take a little force;

Once the switch is out you need to connect/splice the following wires accordingly,I soldered mine together then taped up with electrical tape (Show you'll have 3 connected on these connections)

Relay pin numbers / Wires

2 - (white wire on VW kit) connects to pin 5 on the S3 hazard switch(black/White)
4 - (brown wire on VW kit) connects to pin 9 on S3 hazard switch (brown)
5 - (green wire on VW kit) connects to pin 7 on S3 hazard switch (black/green)
6 - (black/White on VW kit) connects to pin 2 on the S3 hazard switch(black/White)
8 - (White/green on VW kit) connects to pin 3 on the S3 hazard switch(black/White/green)

0002099820229 wiring part no

That's a guide for an s3 but works on an LCR

That's for the three flashes

Last edited:

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
The part is available from VW p art No 000-953-227A (£40 including VAT) comes as a kit with additional relay and wiring, the wires need to be connected to the hazard switch relay :

1) First remove radio (standard keys work as good as anything);

2) No need to remove radio just drop it down onto the gear lever area but makesure you cover it first with a clean rag so not to scratch anything;

3) Place fingers beneath the Piano Black trim. The trim itself, although looksrather fragile, is backed onto a metal surround. Pull firmly toward you and inslightly upwards motion. It should detach - there are approx 2-3 clips thatwill detach;

4) Remove the cup holder by using a bladed screwdriver to press up the clipsabove it (it will make sense when you see it). Pull it directly out towardsyou;

5) Remove the ESP switch but leave it connected - no need to unplug it from its connector just let it dangle carefully;

6) Now you will be able to get your fingers down either side of the hazardswitch. Position them on the base of the switch (feel for it) and give it avery firm pull toward you i.e. toward the back of the car. The switch is springloaded and will take a little force;

Once the switch is out you need to connect/splice the following wires accordingly,I soldered mine together then taped up with electrical tape (Show you'll have 3 connected on these connections)

Relay pin numbers / Wires

2 - (white wire on VW kit) connects to pin 5 on the S3 hazard switch(black/White)
4 - (brown wire on VW kit) connects to pin 9 on S3 hazard switch (brown)
5 - (green wire on VW kit) connects to pin 7 on S3 hazard switch (black/green)
6 - (black/White on VW kit) connects to pin 2 on the S3 hazard switch(black/White)
8 - (White/green on VW kit) connects to pin 3 on the S3 hazard switch(black/White/green)

0002099820229 wiring part no

That's a guide for an s3 but works on an LCR

That's for the three flashes

Thanks for that mate I might give that a go.
Are the hazard switch terminals numbers the same on the Leon's as on the s3's?

Last edited:

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
They look nice in black just hard to keep clean. Where was that advertised? Just wondered if it was one I was interested in as I had my eye on a nice black on autotrader that was in coventry.