Imagine the most painful sound to your ears...

nutter_engineer

Feb 16, 2007
Hi mate, yes my original ones fitted fine. I think there must be a number of variations but they all do the same job. There is a thread on VortexVW forums which showed the fitting of my exact ones.

I left my handbrake off when doing then. The difficulty is trying to clamp the spring together and trying to get them into the slots. I did it by hand but took a while.

The noise is a lot less now. It hasn't 100% cured the problem but its a lot better. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

dreago 1

Gav
Oct 21, 2011
East Sussex
Hi, thanks. Yea I tried last night. However the car was on a slight hill so left the HB on. Could get each end in but at completely different angles and not at the same time. I'm guessing the hook end goes in first?
Cheers

G

dreago 1

Gav
Oct 21, 2011
East Sussex
Hi mate, yes my original ones fitted fine. I think there must be a number of variations but they all do the same job. There is a thread on VortexVW forums which showed the fitting of my exact ones.

I left my handbrake off when doing then. The difficulty is trying to clamp the spring together and trying to get them into the slots. I did it by hand but took a while.

The noise is a lot less now. It hasn't 100% cured the problem but its a lot better. Hope this helps.

Found the link on VWvortex. Would I be correct in saying that they fit backwards? ie the spring coil faces the back of the car as opposed to the front?

G

dreago 1

Gav
Oct 21, 2011
East Sussex
uvema2u7.jpg

I can get this far but they don't fit snug. Once the strap is cut will they fir better?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

Looks to me like you have that fitted incorrectly, should sit like this
173406B9-9D1E-4A68-B2D5-61BF536BEC49-2157-000001911743D932.jpg

You should be able to fit with your fingers if done correctly, put the top in first then push the u shapes bit in the long hole minding your fingers, also worth spraying them with some primer as they rust easy too... The calipers pictures are 256mm calipers I fitted but should fit exactly the same