Honda convert from bonnie Scotland

mryanski

Leon FR no 3, must be good cars then :)
Aug 13, 2013
Castle Douglas
Greetings chaps and chapettes,

I have just bought a Mk3 Leon 1.4tsi FR, having come over from an 8th gen Honda civic diesel i was amazed at the quality of the Seat and was won over by the engine, i just had to have it as soon as i drove it :)

Having spent my days hanging around civinfo.com i have found myself looking for a new home and seatcupra.net looks like it fits the bill perfectly:1st:

Hope to get to know you all a bit better and generally have a bit of banter.

Ian

toca72

Aug 10, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
Welcome Ian, Im a newbie too and coming from a Honda Civic Type R 8th Gen to a Leon Supercopa diesel. So a bit like you but gone the other way round from a Petrol to Diesel :)

mryanski

Aug 13, 2013
Castle Douglas
I bet the ride is miles better in the Leon than the type r, i had one before my diesel and found that although it was a fantastic car at full chat it was a bit sluggish due to the lack of torque meaning it left me cold as a daily drive.

I nearly went for a 9th gen civic but the money they wanted for a decent spec was stupid, besides it was hardly a looker :)

toca72

Aug 10, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
I bet the ride is miles better in the Leon than the type r, i had one before my diesel and found that although it was a fantastic car at full chat it was a bit sluggish due to the lack of torque meaning it left me cold as a daily drive.

I nearly went for a 9th gen civic but the money they wanted for a decent spec was stupid, besides it was hardly a looker :)

You are right there I couldn't get used to the high revving vtec and the 'misses' never liked the bumpy ride lol I pick up my leon next week took it out for a test drive and yeah completely different and more acceptable ride with looks and power to match and the torque makes a very big difference indeed :)

How are you comparing the torque from the civic diesel to your new leon petrol? I suppose it has a turbo still so still be quick. :D

My boss picked up a 9th gen top of the range one recently from an 8th gen and think it was around 25k albeit he part ex'd but still a lot of money for a Honda.

mryanski

Aug 13, 2013
Castle Douglas
The torque of the turbo petrol was the selling factor for me, having already tried a petrol honda 1.8 it blew it away! Still less than the derv but amazed by the performance of a 1.4, the ride and interior quality are the icing on the cake!

toca72

Aug 10, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
The torque of the turbo petrol was the selling factor for me, having already tried a petrol honda 1.8 it blew it away! Still less than the derv but amazed by the performance of a 1.4, the ride and interior quality are the icing on the cake!

Glad you like, I take it its the 180 tfsi engine and a good choice too, not driven that type before but I am sure it be a blast mate. Did you get dsg box or manual, what colour too? Must admit I'm starting to like the mk3 leon but I'm happy with my current purchase as i did have a mk1 derv leon cupra back in 2004 and loved it and have always like Seat' and don't know why I left.

Well we will both have to keep the posts going until we get to 15 and then we can post and share pics of our beauts :)

mryanski

Aug 13, 2013
Castle Douglas
Was only the 140 tfsi but plenty of useable power, unlike the type r lol!
Have always loved the mk2 cupras, never got round to getting one though.
Bought the mk3 in white (easy to look afer, usually had red or black cars) but as it was a pre reg i missed out on the tech pack so no fancy led headlights but £3,500 discount to cheer me up
Looking forward to seeing some pics of yours :)

toca72

Aug 10, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
Nice one and useable power is good :)

I'm just at that time whereby I always bought new and regrettably got the Honda coming from a 5 door focus ST which I loved and back then before the type r wanted a leon so 3 years later I'm back and got a leon mostly for the kids too as they missed a five door more than I did lol and my kids are happy with my purchase too. Sounds like you got a good deal then on your leon and like me moving away from a Honda.
I would of liked mine in white but there was none around me and only one at my local dealer and had to snap it up as prob would still be searching now.......it's monsoon grey so a bit discreet but I'm happy and it looks mint :)
Defo got to share pics and looking forward to seeing yours too :) you got any plans on mods???

MOE16V

May 17, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
hi guys welcome to the forum

get some pics up asap

i have a mk2 pd140 remapped to 185 and in-gear acceleration is unbelievable, makes overtaking and general driving alot more pleasurable.

i know the type r has low torque, but how does it compare to the others once in vtec?

i would have thought the type r is faster than both once in vtec but just the turbo in the tfsi and diesel engine making them FEEL faster.

mryanski

Aug 13, 2013
Castle Douglas
i know the type r has low torque, but how does it compare to the others once in vtec?

i would have thought the type r is faster than both once in vtec but just the turbo in the tfsi and diesel engine making them FEEL faster.

You are quite right about the type r, when full chat in vtec it is an amazing car (especially the noise) but on a wet wednesday on the way to work it feels fairly sluggish due to the lack of torque, honda fanboys would lynch me for saying this but it needs a turbo for bottom end power :handbags:

Torque does indeed make the seats "feel" faster but as i said it is about having useable power, vtec is fine for ragging a good b road but after a while you get bored of having to thrash the car to get power.

The diesel and turbo petrol just suit day to day driving better :D

toca72

Aug 10, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
You are quite right about the type r, when full chat in vtec it is an amazing car (especially the noise) but on a wet wednesday on the way to work it feels fairly sluggish due to the lack of torque, honda fanboys would lynch me for saying this but it needs a turbo for bottom end power :handbags:

Torque does indeed make the seats "feel" faster but as i said it is about having useable power, vtec is fine for ragging a good b road but after a while you get bored of having to thrash the car to get power.

The diesel and turbo petrol just suit day to day driving better :D

I also agree with you on that vtec point and let's hope any Honda fans do not take offence. I do also think it is too noisy in vtec and more like a screamer you have to work the type r to get the most out of it but it does put a smile on your face briefly, but i am in my forties now. I had a focus st before the type r and missed the overall torque and the 5 pot warble. For example on the noise and power in my type r I had to take a work client to the airport one time 'in a hurry' and I felt a little embarrassed because of the noise it made when you in a hurry, but some people like it some don't.
Have to say I am glad I have owned the type r and tried out the vtec etc but I would not have a naturally aspirated sporty hatch again not that they make them anymore.

Ritchie624

Aug 19, 2013
Swindon
Hi guys I'm another person going from a civic type r to a Leon diesel fr hopefully. Love the civic but can't justify costs

Ritchie624

Aug 19, 2013
Swindon
All I get from my friends is all that lag and no turbo bit I just ignore them it's fine lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ritchie624

Aug 19, 2013
Swindon
Hi mate and welcome :) are you still looking around for a leon fr or are you nearly there with your purchase? Picking mine up on Friday :)

I'm still looking around for a nice fr diesel no joy yet all high miles with knackered paint, peeling lacquer seems to be a big problem on mk 1s. What the details on your new car then and how much you pay if don't mind me asking?

toca72

Aug 10, 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne
I'm still looking around for a nice fr diesel no joy yet all high miles with knackered paint, peeling lacquer seems to be a big problem on mk 1s. What the details on your new car then and how much you pay if don't mind me asking?

My new car is the mk2 leon supercopa basically the leon fr+ with the body kit all round. If you do a search on somewhere like auto trader you get a general idea of the cost. ;)
I used to have a mk1 leon cupra (before changed to fr name) diesel and loved it, with full leather too. It's going to be hard to find a good mk1 leon fr or cupra diesel but good luck on your search. You not fancy an early mk2 leon fr?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members