rubbish radio reception here is why !

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
i have a feeling i am not the only one who suffers this so i felt a thread just about it would be good
rather that it being spread around over other ones

so here is the problem , rubbish radio ?

cause water in the base of the antenna causes this

total corrosion !

& even down to the connector in the head lining

solution is a new antenna i got this one http://www.celsusice.co.uk/shopdisp_5799.php

its is power amplified unlike a lot of the ones on ebay

ease down the head lining

two push clips and its down

a 19 mm spanner to get the old one out

& in with the new

bout 20 mins start to Finnish

GazGT

Jun 25, 2005
Manchester
How does the new amplified Ariel differ? and when did it change? I've got an '07 and the radio reception is pretty poor, and I imagine this is why.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
How does the new amplified Ariel differ? and when did it change? I've got an '07 and the radio reception is pretty poor, and I imagine this is why.

It's a different design and you need to buy the antenna as well as the base. I think it's the same one used on the Ibiza now. I'll check and report back later.

Edit: On my car the base was dropped in 2009 and the replacement is also for the 2006 - 2010 Ibiza (amongst others). However, the base was only fitted on cars up to 2007 and then changed to the new style

Last edited:

morepower

Mar 12, 2009
Had the same type of problem... Swapped my arial for the one you have.... but no better... I think there is a problem with a small unit in the rear panel as my rear washer stopped working and the join in the rear of the car became disconnected and sprayed water through out the inner wing area... Not sure what the little box is but I think it is that on mine...... Anyone had a similar problem?

morepower

Mar 12, 2009
Replaced the aerial for a fin type one but no change... I did have a little problem with the rear washer pipe becoming disconnected inside the rear panel. There is a small electrical connection in there that could be for the aerial but I am not 100% sure. Anyone know? I think it is possibly this and a combination of the washer spraying water throughout the back panel that is the problem. The radio will pick up a signal if it is really strong so the radio has not blown.... It is just crap...

Gamma_ed

Keep in mind that the seat car radio needs a different type of antenne signal, so seat has different antennes then the ones you can buy for an aftermarket car radio.

This means if you have a seat car radion, stick with the seat antennes. If you put in another aftermarket radio, it would be better to also put in a aftermarket antenne, cause reception will be much better.

Dai_O

Jul 30, 2009
Cardiff
Keep in mind that the seat car radio needs a different type of antenne signal, so seat has different antennes then the ones you can buy for an aftermarket car radio.

This means if you have a seat car radion, stick with the seat antennes. If you put in another aftermarket radio, it would be better to also put in a aftermarket antenne, cause reception will be much better.

Hi Guys

I have put in an aftermarket radio and my radio is pants, I have even replaced the base with a new one from Dave at Sere, still pants,

Reading the above it looks like its needs to be a non seat aerial, never heard of this before, anybody shed any light

Cheers

Dai O

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
the Seat HU send a voltage down the aerial wire to power the amplifier in the aerial base. Most aftermarket head units don't. You have to have a separate 12v supply to base :(

Dai_O

Jul 30, 2009
Cardiff
I guess you can maybe get 12V from the rear interior light cluster, that isn't too far away is it??

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
I guess you can maybe get 12V from the rear interior light cluster, that isn't too far away is it??

you should find your after market headunit has a blue or blue white wire that is for this purpose , hook the inline adapter up to the back of the HU & then connect the wire to the blue wire on the adapter and all should be fine

MM

abs123

Just done on mine - great fix! And only 13.22 + VAT from Seat main dealer...

what's the part number? I need to ring seat and don't want something they recommend and isn't right for the car.

Diyhell

Aug 11, 2013
The 'Deposit Part Number' on the invoice is 1P0035501A which is described as a 'BASE'.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise