going from a Stage 2+ Cupra to a CR 170. any one done it

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
as title

looking to see if nay one has gone from a Stage 2+ Cupra to a CR170.

thinking of swapping so i can go do more travelling of the continent. the CR170 will get a remap that is for sure.

just wondered what the general thoughts were. will i hate it etc should i look at the 3.0 tdi instead

lee

Marshall

Jul 7, 2008
Bonnie Scotland
Yeah I went from a stage 2 Cupra R with 2+ mods to a cr170.
Best move I ever made in terms of fuel economy. I save about £30 a week on fuel and my road tax is nay £125 a year too.
If your mapping it don't be tempted to go to cowboys who talk the job go to a trusted tuner.
I went to Sedox performance and have ended up paying again to get my car sorted and run properly by Revo.
Now at stage 1 it goes very well and to be honest I'd say its equivelant to a standard Cupra.
Totally different kind of power though but drive it very hard and still get 43 mpg drive normal ie between 70 - 90mph and return 48mpg.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Just want to say I made the transition from a MK1 Leon Cupra R to a Leon FR170 for economy purposes.
I found the car really underwhelming. Easy to drive but underwhelming.
I didn't have the confidence I felt when cornering in my old car, I didn't have that fantastic noise and surge of speed I wanted especially when doing those silly overtakes on A Roads where you know. The Cupra would make it.. the FR Wont (Safely)

I was on the verge of selling it when I decided to to take it to Performance Torque, Will has remapped all but one of my cars, and the one car he didn't remap I wish that he had, Similar experiance to marshal.

I had the DPF disabled and removed and remapped, The cars around 220-230bhp and 350ftlb of torque and its transformed the drive.

Also my drive to and from work is around 85 miles a day, which means I take my time. I sit in the inside lane at 60mph with the cruise control on and the stereo on blast, Before the remap 60mpg, after the remap... 64mpg.

I've taken the car out a few times with the Car club, it can easily keep up with Clio 180's and Type R's. You wont go past them like you used to, but You'll stay with them and the cornering whilst it feels like it wont hang on... bloody hell it will.

Very impressed with how my FR handles considering no performance modifications!

Edit: Just to follow up, Before in my LCR I would Hoon it up and down the motorway, in the FR I'm content that my 230bhp car can do 64mpg and when I take it on the A roads it still holds its own!

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Car will be 210-215 max

Its not possible to get above that without masses of smoke on OEM turbo

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Adman77

Audre Est Facre
Feb 13, 2012
Hertfordshire
I'll have a serious think about a 3.0L diesel for my next car. Still 300+ BHP (with remap). Mountain moving amounts of torque. All with a possible 500+ miles per tank

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
so the options as i see it are as follows in order

A5 Cabrio 3.0 TDI
A5 Cabrio 2.0 TDI
Leon FR 2.0 TDI
Skoda Octavia VRS 2.0 TDI

i need to see what i can find as im only really going to use it to drive on the continent i dont drive during the week.

jtothed

i'm in a similar position really, currently drive an Audi S3 revo stg 2 with all supporting mods and need something more efficient but still quick. Have you considered the 330D? or the 335D? I'm an Audi fan but it's hard to beat the BMWs when it comes to performance and economy. But I'm also considering all the cars on your list also.

I've changed to a Mini Cooper s clubman, it's a petrol and not quite as quick as the cupra, but it's just dipped under half a tank and has covered 330 miles ... It's a 50 litre tank.

If you want to go diesel have a look at the merc c class, I found a couple of c30's for less than 14k all with sensible miles and less than 3 years old.

Jun 7, 2006
Norfolk, Norwich
was going to ask how the mini was??? missing the cupra??

if i change i am definitely going Convertible unless its an Alpina D3. but my heart is set on a soft top.

just cant find a decent A5 low enough