Problems fitting oil temp sender

d3m0niTe

LCR 225
Jun 21, 2010
Bromley, Kent
Hi All,

Following the guide that's already on here (http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365880&highlight=oil+temp+sender), I had a go at installing my Auto Gauge oil temp sender this afternoon.

Unfortunately, it turns out the sender provided by AutoGauge is slightly too long and although it screws in - it doesnt sit snugly as it should and leaks oil (I tried with the engine on for a few seconds and it started trickling). :censored:

I tried with a small washer, with 2 washers and without. The sender is annoying 2-3 mm too long and actually can't screw down any further as it is touching the inside of the oil filter housing. I've provided a few pics in case they help.

Has anyone else had this problem before?

Can anyone recommend an oil temp sensor that is shorter or one that has worked with no problems?

Even if it did screw down you need some kind of sealing washer like a copper washer or a fibre washer to seal it and some thread tape too, make sure you wind thread tape so the end follows the direction of winding...

my advice before you search for new senders would be pack out the gap with a thick single washer and sandwich that between two fibre gasket washers and do up snuggly that shouldnt leak as i used fibre washers in high pressure situations and to seal my oil temp and pressure senders.

if that still doesnt work, the sender will most likely consist of a 5mm solid section in the tip you could chance it and try grinding it down id say you could cut 4mm off that before you reach the sending gubbins.

Last edited:

d3m0niTe

LCR 225
Jun 21, 2010
Bromley, Kent
Thanks for the info. I did try originally a copper washer, similar to the oem washer.

Where would be the best place to find these fibre gasket washers?

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Chris I used TPFE tape on the thread of mine to seal it, if you get stuck pop round tomorrow and I'll do it for you ;)

ReDBull

Every day's a school day.
Nov 21, 2006
Lincoln
I'm glad I saw this tread as its reminded me to fit mine while the engine bays in bits! Could you use a washer to space it?

bazrazmataz

Jun 12, 2014
Sorry to bring up an old thread but how the hell do u get the original bolt out ? There just isn't enough clearance for my Allen key its really awkward

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

David McMahon

Jul 15, 2014
Sorry to bring up an old thread but how the hell do u get the original bolt out ? There just isn't enough clearance for my Allen key its really awkward

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Perhaps a set of hex bits for your 1/4", 3/8" or 1/2" socket handle with extension? I've not seen this bolt myself yet.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.