No boost loss, no smoke, but still a throttle related noise., turbo on its way?

R99AN H

Stage 2 APR mapped R
May 13, 2012
Coventry
Afternoon gents...

I have developed a rather worrying what can only be described as a whine which is definitely throttle related...
Seems to be more audible in first second and third, but as the title suggests, I have no boost loss, smoke or anything else that could be associated with turbo problems.. so im a little stumped!

Any ideas?

Last edited:

R99AN H

Stage 2 APR mapped R
May 13, 2012
Coventry
It happens on acceleration mate...

Not necessarily on boost tho.. which has made me think its something else?

Last edited:

wakko

Jul 27, 2005
Blackburn, Lancashire
Gearbox whine is very common on these boxes and is caused by the bearings spinning in the gear box casing I think. Mine does it under acceleration in 2nd gear. You can get the box recon'd but it does cost a tidy penny.

R99AN H

Stage 2 APR mapped R
May 13, 2012
Coventry
Scrap what I said about losing boost... I have now lost all boost, made a louder than usual noise, then no boost :(

Keithslippery

Slippery
Sep 11, 2009
take the tip off wait for the turbo to be cold, wiggle the compressor see if you got any play, mine looked like this after something went through it, one bent fin and one broken fin,

R99AN H

Stage 2 APR mapped R
May 13, 2012
Coventry
Did yours just lose boost mate? Ive literally had a noise for a few days then lost boost completely. ..

R99AN H

Stage 2 APR mapped R
May 13, 2012
Coventry
Im just thinking if it was something like a pipe then surely I would still either have a little boost or be able to hear the boost escaping? ? I remember on my old gti 1.8t a boost pipe came off and you could hear the boost escaping. .....

Think im just clutching at straws tbh, guess I'll find out when I strip it down after work!

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
Thats not my video, but my 05 plate fr 20vt has been making that noise for 2500 miles now. I have tried to get it to develop but cant seem to get the noise to get any worse. I seem to have lost a little outright power, but the turbo still spools up and boosts. I have checked all the positive side for leaks and not found anything at all. I am starting to think I have a wastegate issue/crack near it which is making the noise?
TBH doing my head in now. If it was a fault in the bearing I would have expected the turbo to have destroyed itself within a few miles of it starting.

Keithslippery

Slippery
Sep 11, 2009
yes but also found a lot of cracks on the hotside of the turbo, a few around the wastegate flap too. If you take the tip off you can get a camera down there the picture i showed above is with the turbo still fitted to the car....
these are the cracks after the turbo removed.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise