ignition live troubles

285cupra-matty

Oct 28, 2010
Harlow
Hi guys,

I just helped one of my friends attempt to fit an alpine head unit. In his LCR. but we had a problem with the ignition live. He fitted it him self this morning went back and turned the key on and the head unit had reset, so he knew to turn the red and yellow around to allow it to save its settings then it worked fine but As he pushed it back in the unit turned off. So I have had a look at it and tested he has a permanent live there but no ignition live. Its just lost it. Didn't go into to much detail with it.

I have had a quick search but to no avail.

So can any one point me in the right direction as to where i can pick an ignition live up that does what the standard live would do ie allow the head unit to stay on until the key is removed from ignition as the only ones i can find turn out as soon as you the. The ignition off.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated as it has been left so he has to manually turn the unit off everytime he leaves it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sunilbass

Jan 12, 2007
lesta
Hi guys,

I just helped one of my friends attempt to fit an alpine head unit. In his LCR. but we had a problem with the ignition live. He fitted it him self this morning went back and turned the key on and the head unit had reset, so he knew to turn the red and yellow around to allow it to save its settings then it worked fine but As he pushed it back in the unit turned off. So I have had a look at it and tested he has a permanent live there but no ignition live. Its just lost it. Didn't go into to much detail with it.

I have had a quick search but to no avail.

So can any one point me in the right direction as to where i can pick an ignition live up that does what the standard live would do ie allow the head unit to stay on until the key is removed from ignition as the only ones i can find turn out as soon as you the. The ignition off.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated as it has been left so he has to manually turn the unit off everytime he leaves it.

Thanks in advance.

if you remove the lower dash, theres a constant 12v, switch 12v near the realys

T108

Jul 2, 2008
how odd, mine did the exact same thing the other day, pushed the stereo back in and the ignition live died, all fuses look fine though!

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
how odd, mine did the exact same thing the other day, pushed the stereo back in and the ignition live died, all fuses look fine though!

im at a loss to be honest, i know naff all about car electrics which is why i got matt (the OP) to come over and take a look (also why he has posted this on here as he could explain it a little better than me.) when i took the headunit out to swap over the wires it worked fine, was actually playing, but when i went to push the headunit back in it just died.

i bought a 12v tester and matt used it to test whether it was getting any power, turns out its a naff ignition live. i honestly do not know what could of happened to it by me just pushing a headunit back into the dash :S

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
well thats no excuse you finished at 2, only would of taken 2 mins. yes i will help yoy next weekend. as long as its not raining

If I'm honest I'm frightened to touch the bloody thing. Probably catch fire or something lol

Anyway in the mean time if anyone has had a similar problem and found out the cause and what you did to fix it please feel free to let me know :)

Thanks

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
just thought I would post as I hate it when people don't come back with a solution lol. I replaced all fuses and come across 2 dodgy looking ones after replacing with new ones my ignition live is back :D

Silentnight*

Mar 20, 2012
newcastle
Which fuses did you replace mate? Iv got the same problem but iv replaced a fuse which popped in the drivers side, side fuse box but I'm thinking there might be a fuse gone under the steering wheel? No CD player sucks! Also when I take my keys out the doors don't automatically unlock :/

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
It was a fuse in the side of the dash mate. I can't remember what one off the top of my head but according to the manual it's to do with the central locking. Strange thing is my central locking was working just the headunit and doors auto unlock that wasn't.

Silentnight*

Mar 20, 2012
newcastle
It was a fuse in the side of the dash mate. I can't remember what one off the top of my head but according to the manual it's to do with the central locking. Strange thing is my central locking was working just the headunit and doors auto unlock that wasn't.

Yeah this is my exact problem. Open and locks off the key but when I stop and take the keys out...nothing have to pull the door locks twice to get out which is annoying in itself. No CD players work as if tried a few of my mates but they work in other cars :/ sounds like its getting power just won't fire on. Someone mentioned on my thread that it could be related to the ignition live so I done a search and found this. It's really starting to annoy now.

Dec 5, 2012
Harlow
Well I checked all the fuses visually one by one but they all looked fine. After trying everything else a friend of mine said replace all of the fuses anyway. I did and bam i have headunit and auto locks.

Last edited:

Silentnight*

Mar 20, 2012
newcastle
Rightio did you replace the smaller fuses as well as the larger ones? I'm at work and the sparkys gave me a circuit tester (weird looking screwdriver so il check all the fuses individually on my dinner break hopefully it's just the fuses! Fingers crossed bud

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise