What did you and your MK2 do today?

Tiburon

Aug 2, 2012
Israel
Fitted my 911 oil and coolant caps today. Fitted my modified engine cover also, still needs a good tidy though!

null_zps86c549a0.jpg

The caps are stright fit?

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Just got in.

Visited fellow SCNer Bigbadjay who kindly helped me fit the Kenwood DNX521VBT tonight.

The unit is epic, even if it was a little tight fitting it

Pics to follow.

Cheers Jay mate :)

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
Nice, thinking of getting rid of my rns510 for one of these! Was it a straight swap and do steering wheel buttons work and mfd etc?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cheers Mate :D

To give a full picture, its best to say what I had to start with, with what I’ve lost and gained.

My car is a MK2 Facelift model, which came with the large MFD, Bluetooth and reverse parking sensors.

What I had with my old headunit:

Buttons on the left hand side of steering wheel controlled scrolling through MFD, volume up/down, also the Mic button engaged Bluetooth with the nice ladies voice for voice control

Buttons on the right hand side controlled - Skip tracks (and a couple of other things I can’t quite remember now)

Also, the Large MFD displayed what track I was listening to/radio station was on etc as well as everything else

What I’ve lost/what’s changed since fitting the Kenwood;

• Lost the factory Bluetooth (no great shakes as Bluetooth is in the Kenwood) and I’ve lost the ladies voice/voice control
• MFD doesn’t show track/station anymore

• Scrolling through MFD and Setting is now all done solely via all the buttons on the right hand side of the steering wheel

• Buttons on the left control volume up/down for the Kenwood & skip tracks

•P arking sensors retained (select reverse – volume is muted slightly to make beeps audible)

Fitting was a relative doddle - especially as I had a fellow SCN member (Bigbadjay) helping me, so 2 pairs of hands were better than one.
The Sat Nav aerial was fitted in the passenger side A-pilar
The Bluetooth Mic was clipped into the top of the driver’s side A-pillar trim, with the wire fed inside the headlining along the windscreen and down behind the passenger side A-pillar trim along with the sat-nav aerial to the head unit.

The biggest headache came right at the end as I was trying to get the Kenwood unit itself into place in the dash.
All the extra wiring that has to be fitted I.E - The Kenwood power/Speaker loom that plugs into the Kenwood unit & the Kenwood CAW-VW2150 adaptor wiring that retains the steering wheel buttons & plugs into the original car stereo wiring loom all has to be squeezed into the space at the back of the unit

The old unit looks like a double DIN unit, when in fact it’s a single DIN with a big facia

Just had to keep pulling the Kenwood out and jiggling for ages, before we got all the wiring into the available gaps.. Some of the wiring ended up tucked into the climate control unit.

Ideally, if I had more time, last night, I’d have taken a dremmel and cut some of the plastic trim out at the rear of the space the stereo is housed in the dash to give more space for the wiring to go.

I’m off next Monday – Wednesday, so I think I’m going to take it out & cut some of the plastic out of the back to create more space for the wiring harnesses, so there is nothing under excessive stress.

All in all, very happy with it, sound quality is 1,000,000% better, navigation is crisp, Bluetooth is just as good as the factory BT + there’s loads of options for further upgrades.

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Cheers Mate :D

The biggest headache came right at the end as I was trying to get the Kenwood unit itself into place in the dash.
All the extra wiring that has to be fitted I.E - The Kenwood power/Speaker loom that plugs into the Kenwood unit & the Kenwood CAW-VW2150 adaptor wiring that retains the steering wheel buttons & plugs into the original car stereo wiring loom all has to be squeezed into the space at the back of the unit

Just had to keep pulling the Kenwood out and jiggling for ages, before we got all the wiring into the available gaps.. Some of the wiring ended up tucked into the climate control unit.

I found a similar problem when fitting mine (not kenwood). I removed the glove box and that gave plenty of access to the rear of the cage that the unit fits into so it was easy to feed the wires through and make sure none of them got trapped.

AndyG_TSi

Nov 1, 2011
East Manchester
I found a similar problem when fitting mine (not kenwood). I removed the glove box and that gave plenty of access to the rear of the cage that the unit fits into so it was easy to feed the wires through and make sure none of them got trapped.

A-ha,

Never thought of doing that, how do you remove the glovebox - any tips?

We only started at 8pm last night and it took us 2 hours, it was dark by the time we finished off and using the torch app on the phones to see down nooks & crannies :D

Bdringhill

Noob
Mar 29, 2013
vemu3une.jpg

7usata6y.jpg

Got my key cover today, also fitted some smoked indicators from eBay. Pleased with both, still waiting on the l.e.d's from partsulike :)

Jun 27, 2012
Belfast
You don't trust them to wash it yet you trust them to service it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah I trust them to service it, I want that Seat stamp for my Service book. What I dont need is that stupid machine to wash my car and leave marks all over it, plus I doubt they'd even dry it, if they did it would be with a pair of old jeans lol

Picture as I said bye for a while:

IMG_8235_zps6b8c1138.jpg

Last edited: