Self servicing

J.Topaz

MPG addict
Nov 5, 2006
Having owned my 1.9 TDi for just over a week I've been able to get £30 to cover 300 miles. Grandpa driving style works... very pleased.

I'm wanting to look after my engine and make sure this car lasts at least 3 more years. Being new to the world of Diesel engines I have a few questions:

* Which is the best engine oil to buy?
* Anyway to turn off the service message without visiting a main dealer?
* Cambelt was said to be replaced 20k miles ago, any way to check the condition of belt?
* Seems odd, but what size should the standard wheels be on SE model.
* How often do glow plugs need replacing?

Thanks,

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Glowplugs last forever - only replace when car struggles to start

Just change oil every 10k and it will be sweet, if its a pd engine make sure the oil meets vw spec 505.01

To help it run sweeter i'd be cleaning the egr valve out with carb cleaner

J.Topaz

MPG addict
Nov 5, 2006
Appreciate the tips.

Glowplugs last forever - only replace when car struggles to start

Glad that's something I don't have to keep replacing.

Just change oil every 10k and it will be sweet, if its a pd engine make sure the oil meets vw spec 505.01

I think mine is a PD engine. 5 Speed with 110 BHP. Would Castrol EDGE 5W-30 FST fully synthetic be fine? Haven't heard about the VW spec before you see.

To help it run sweeter i'd be cleaning the egr valve out with carb cleaner

Something like Redex will do the trick?

J.Topaz

MPG addict
Nov 5, 2006
My SE has 15" wheels with 195/65 tyres but i think some had 16"

Thought that, I've been unlucky and got the 16 inch versions which means more expensive tyres. Must be able to get cheapish sets off ebay?

F2 Ed

now has VAG com
Nov 5, 2006
www.superlite-wheels.com
Thought that, I've been unlucky and got the 16 inch versions which means more expensive tyres. Must be able to get cheapish sets off ebay?

Personally i'd never buy cheap tyres or brakes. Worth spending money on

Regarding the oil, forget what you've seen in Halfords and make sure you get the correct VW spec. TPS will sell it to you

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Appreciate the tips.

Glad that's something I don't have to keep replacing.

I think mine is a PD engine. 5 Speed with 110 BHP. Would Castrol EDGE 5W-30 FST fully synthetic be fine? Haven't heard about the VW spec before you see.

Something like Redex will do the trick?

I dont know if the 110bhp is a pd engine but id put quantum platinum 505.01 oil in it anyways, its what seat recommend and its quite cheap too!

Plus if its a pd its covered

hyphon12

Daft Member
Jun 7, 2011
Scottish Borders
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 FST meets all the VW specs so its good to use. If you can get it cheaper than the Quantum oil then go for it (as Castrol make Quantum anyway).

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2011
Plymouth
The 110 engine is MOT a PD it is the older VE engine. Only the 130 and 150 use the PD in the Leon.

I would definitely check your egr valve and possibly intake manifold as well. They get very clogged with carbon. There are guides on the club Tdi forum if you search Google. Unfortunately redex will not do the trick as with diesel engines the injectors fire directly into the combustion chamber and your egr valve is located before your inlet manifold. A few hours would sort it out, 7 bolts and a can of carb or brake cleaner will do the trick.

Air filter doesn't make much difference as it is so large but it's cheap enough to replace every 10k so I would.

Fuel filter is a bit of a pain to change as you usually have to bleed the injectors however it is not that difficult if you have any mechanical knowledge. Again club Tdi and Google can help (also YouTube).

F2 Ed

now has VAG com
Nov 5, 2006
www.superlite-wheels.com
The 110 engine is MOT a PD it is the older VE engine. Only the 130 and 150 use the PD in the Leon.

I would definitely check your egr valve and possibly intake manifold as well. They get very clogged with carbon. There are guides on the club Tdi forum if you search Google. Unfortunately redex will not do the trick as with diesel engines the injectors fire directly into the combustion chamber and your egr valve is located before your inlet manifold. A few hours would sort it out, 7 bolts and a can of carb or brake cleaner will do the trick.

Air filter doesn't make much difference as it is so large but it's cheap enough to replace every 10k so I would.

Fuel filter is a bit of a pain to change as you usually have to bleed the injectors however it is not that difficult if you have any mechanical knowledge. Again club Tdi and Google can help (also YouTube).

I've changed several fuel filters & never had to bleed the injectors. The trick is to fill the new filter with diesel (or FORTE diesel treatment)

CupraRchris14

May 18, 2013
Bristol
Iv serviced my car myself, not long after i had the warning service due in 2000 miles show up when turning my ignition on! now its on 1500 lol

would be nice to know how to reset that..

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.